• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: [New Life+] Young Again in Another World Anime Cast Resigns After Creator's Apology for Contro

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nekochen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
It's disgusting how so many ignorant people would come to defend it.
There is nothing shameful to have taken part in a war, but to exemplify extreme-right wing idealism is the same as promoting a political agenda. Even Japan has apologized for their war crime, there is no need to rekindle the bad blood of the previous generations.

I for one, wants to see the anime gets released but they need to edit on the part where he killed thousands of (chinese/korean) people with his sword in the war as an accomplishment.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
Damn, this is the fastest I've ever seen people turn on an anime before. This is like Girlish Number on steroids.

Wait what happened with Girlish Number?

-
Also to the guy that says it's a problem with the anime industry that they don't check the source material first. What? For starters every entertainment industry sometimes jumps into things blindly, around the world. People are always so quick to blame Anime and Japan for things that are universal problems with entertainment industries, it seems racist at this point in all honesty. Additionally as people have said it's been a series with decent popularity for some years, so I think they probably had a good idea what the series was like, they might not have known the author's nature however. It's all speculation tho and people on here love to act like they have all the facts for some reason.

I'm reminded specifically of the in-universe isekai harem LN anime in the show which was an unmitigated disaster from its PV to its afterparty.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
I'm reminded specifically of the in-universe isekai harem LN anime in the show which was an unmitigated disaster from its PV to its afterparty.

Ah that's good to know thanks. I thought you meant there was controversy around "Girlish Number" its self since I haven't seen the anime. Interesting to know that it has an in show controversy involving Isekai.
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
The tweets seem sincere, but it can be hard to say. Hopefully he is reflecting and is sincere, and does his part to make up for the damaging remarks and content he put out.

There have been articles and news reports about the ring-wing side of politics and the racism flourishing toward Chinese and Japanese people especially in Japan right now. I've definitely seen it first hand toward people of mixed descent as well. (And it gets worse when colorism is put on top of that.)

Japan is grappling with their issues of racism just like any other country, and on top of how many games and anime/manga/LNs now put out this redactive and erasure or warping of history, it's not surprising that so many of these sentiments persist. Here's hoping things move forward so that the racism can be dismantled. (Going to be pretty hard with Shinzo Abe and others in office, though.)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I suppose the reason the "MMO Junkie" controversy with the anime director saying anti-Semitic remarks wasn't as touchy with many Japanese is this: they were not as affected by Holocaust as the Rape of Nanking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4