• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Music Producer Predicts the End of the 90 Second Anime Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Frankly there are VERY few shows that I consistently watch opening sequences for so if they think changing it up will benefit them that I'm all for it. One Piece only has one song for the opening and no end theme and that's worked out just fine for them.
feitan000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
please NO
Vadara

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Who actually watches the OP and ED each time? These days I usually don't even watch either one for anything other than the first episode if that.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I would also add some shows have content, then the OP. Or how about ED and then a tiny C Chapter afterwards? Re:Zero often didn't use OP/EDs, though it clearly had them. I recall during Kill la Kill they interrupted the regular flow of the ED for a villain could taunt the audience. Macross Frontier #17 had a single one-time OP which was one of the best songs for that character. Remember Madoka not revealing its true ED until episode 3? How about the nice sweet love song OP in Gundam 00, that for a single episode was humorously sung by the males instead, what a fun twist!!

OP/EDs are part of the art and experience, and like most shows themselves they are rather forgettable. But they can be used to fantastic effect. This is not a change anyone is asking for, when all of the solutions are so much simpler.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Just because someone predicts something will go away, doesn't mean that it Though i do not quite get why a show that is streamed needs to have a shortened Op, it's not like it has to account for ad breaks. In fact you would think it would be the other way around, where TV shows are the ones having to ditch OPs.will
Vadara wrote:
Who actually watches the OP and ED each time? These days I usually don't even watch either one for anything other than the first episode if that.
I have to admit that I have been skipping OPs and EDs as long as I have been watching Anime on home media, unless I really like the song.

Last edited by MarshalBanana on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
MakioKuta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Did anyone even watch B the Beginning? I haven't heard ANYONE talk about it in the usual anime circles. Probably not the best show to cite as an industry standard.

I watched B! It was a fun and weird little show that I wish I had more people to talk about it with.

They aren't citing B as an industry standard though - it's mentioned because it straight up follows the format being talked about here. It was made directly for Netflix and was put up all at once and never had a TV broadcast. It has a 15 second OP that was very tolerable for watching lots of episodes in a row. It's pretty relevant to the topic at hand.

Side note - It's ED song is really good.

Anyway, I'd rather see these sort of shows made specifically for Netflix have a longer OP in the first episode, and then have none or the 15second OP style for following episodes. (or the option to skip would be best.) I love anime OPs and would be sad to see them disappear, but I get why they don't have a place in a binge-watching environment.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Disappointing, but not surprising. I've thought this was coming for a few years now.
RoninX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I loved B’s format. I wouldn’t mind if anime went that route because it’s ED always cut into the episode right it ends and segways into the credits. (I’ve never skipped B’s ED so it kinda defeats its purpose lol )
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Look, I get his points. I really do, even though I don't stream, but I hope to everything that is sacred OP's and ED's will not disappear. It's an iconic part of what makes anime "anime" imo.

Looking up openings and endings for anime is in fact, a lot of times, what gets me to watch a particular show in the first place. A text-only synopsis does not get me interested in the least, so I tend to look up OP's and ED's (while being careful for spoilers).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rednimue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
wrote:
Anime music producer Akihiro Tomita says that Netflix and online streaming will change the length of anime opening and ending themes ...

... Netflix cuts the ending themes short and automatically skips to the next episode ...

... Tomita further predicted that songs ... will be used as insert songs instead ...

For me OP/ED are integral parts of the experience, I don't mind a few shows here and there experimenting something new by shortening/removing them etc ...

But outright cutting them out of the experience, for me is a big NO.

As H. Guderian has pointed out, there are many inventive and effective way to use them adding value to the show as a whole.

wrote:
... Fukuhara predicted that Chinese animation will catch up to Japanese animation, leading to more co-productions ...

If this means funds from china to allow Japanese studios and creators to do and create what they want, OK ... Otherwise ... this is another big NO for me.

wrote:
... while Mizushima predicted that paper animation will eventually be replaced entirely by digital animation ...

Although it's inevitable, this is another big NO for me ... in particular if it means more ugly and clunky 3D CGI animation and effects and less traditional 2D animation.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
How about Netflix can go die? They're stupid auto-skip has skipped after-credit stuff for me more often than it should, for example. They want to force EVERYONE to binge, even though most anime fans love to watch anime as it comes out every week. Netflix is like the opposite of Burger King's "have it your way", they want you to "have it our way". I don't really care about "TV Ver." songs. I like full versions of the music I enjoy, but they WORK well at building hype before a show starts and finishes and I love when a show plays out to an ED song.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
MakioKuta wrote:

but I get why they don't have a place in a binge-watching environment.

Thisis the real problem. They think EVERYONE wants to binge watch. Have the option to skip OP/ED but don't remove them. A large % of anime users don't "binge watch" - we prefer to watch things weekly. Of course, Netflix of America wants to force everyone to binge watch instead. They need to stop with that BS. Give us new anime weekly and not all at once. People that want to binge can still binge, people that don't want to binge can watch it weekly. Yes, people can still "watch it weekly" when it's all out, but as I've stated here before, a large problem with this still is that it destroys basically every discussion forum for the show. Weekly speculation and debates are huge part of the fandom.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
flame2frost wrote:
to keep anime from dying we gotta sacrifice the anime openings?
No, to move Anime from TV to streaming, you have to sacrifice the opening.

No, you don't. If anything, the streaming model frees creators up to make the opening, and the episode, whatever length they like, since there's no longer any reason to worry about a strict 30 minute timeslot with commercial breaks. It doesn't make sense to me to sacrifice the intros for people who want to see them, when Netflix has a skip intro button that people can push if they don't want to see the opening. Leave it in for people who want it and let those who don't skip it. Viewers appreciate having a choice.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
No, you don't. If anything, the streaming model frees creators up to make the opening, and the episode, whatever length they like, since there's no longer any reason to worry about a strict 30 minute timeslot with commercial breaks
Yes I know, i was just explaining what the chap was saying, not saying what i think.
-SP-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
If they do this, how are weebs supposed to discover new music?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5