• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online: Alicization

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
HandofBobb wrote:
Wait, so- according to the infodump a few episodes ago, the 'Taboo Index' is something that was created by the Axiom Church, which is to say not part of the actual system code, so why is Eugeo getting a system error message?

Is the Axiom Church actually made up of AIs or is it the manifestation of the system code within the system? Could the index not have been divinely inspired, where the system code would be the god(s)? I don't think what was said was inconsistent with it being programmed in, especially since they designed the system in the attempt to make AIs that would break those taboos, which wouldn't be very meaningful without defining those taboos you want them to break.
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I don't think what was said was inconsistent with it being programmed in, especially since they designed the system in the attempt to make AIs that would break those taboos, which wouldn't be very meaningful without defining those taboos you want them to break.

Well, now I'll have to go back and rewatch it, but I would have sworn they said the Axiom Church/Taboo Index was something that was developed by the AIs in the system themselves and was causing the AIs to be unsuitable for the combat applications they were hoping to use them for, but they were hoping to be able to reproduce Alice's instance of breaking the Taboo Index... (so perhaps the programmers are responsible for these noble douchebags?)
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:48 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Is the Axiom Church actually made up of AIs or is it the manifestation of the system code within the system?

More details about this are forthcoming. Expect most or all of one near-future episode to be a massive infodump, unless the adaptation team finds a smoother way to do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
HandofBobb wrote:
Wait, so- according to the infodump a few episodes ago, the 'Taboo Index' is something that was created by the Axiom Church, which is to say not part of the actual system code, so why is Eugeo getting a system error message?

This is a plot point that won't be answered until much, much later, but keep it in mind!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Why would the Taboo Index being developed by the AIs imply it's not part of the underlying system code? Self-modifying AI is a pretty standard sci-fi trope -- no reason key bits of the kernel or whatever should be excluded from that.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:16 am Reply with quote
As expected those with numbers are being controlled, they were so close to saving him by the looks of it.

Either way they now know who to going about saving people like him and Alice when and if they get an opportunity to.

So that is the sage after all, thought it was from the opening, a Cardinal system, by we sure got a lot of info about this world.

So Quinella also has the same deal with the eye as Eugeo, guess we will learn more about it another time.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Awe, after all these years all she wanted was a huge, should have went outside and held out one of those free hugs signs.

Her backstory is interesting though, being a regular child and then in an instant she basically becomes the most powerful person in the world wielding all that authority thanks to Quinella.

Yay only another 100 floors lol, Aincrad all over again, Kirito's face told us exactly what he thought of going through all that again.

Ah excellent, they now have a way to save Alice, I can tell it won't be that easy to get her with one of those knives though, I'm sure she is very powerful by now, it will definitely take some effort.

At least they can know enhance their own weapons once they get them back, looks like that red knight from the previous episode will be in their way first, looking forward to the upcoming fights.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:21 am Reply with quote
Fred Lougee wrote:
... One really egregious goof that sticks out...Sinon... noticing that Death Gun's weapon is the exact same model, a Black Star Type 54, she refers to it as a "single-action". If you know bupkis about guns I will explain how this is a major goof.

In firearms, referring to a weapon as "single-action" means that only one thing happens when the trigger is pulled...The gun in question, the Black Star Type 54, was definitely not a revolver. It was your standard semi-automatic handgun with the clip in the handle, slide action, and the recoil of firing causes the slide to eject the spent casing with the next round coming up from below.

This is not a mistake an uber gun-savvy person would make..
I just got up to speed on SAO:Alice so I saw this way late but I have to correct this. I have a double-action semi-auto pistol and the following vid is for you and everyone who is interested. Mr Sigsawa (transliteration of the gun mfg Sig Sauer) who advised SAOII and wrote SAO Alt:GGO definitely knows his stuff and did not goof anything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu6Kg4oEAmA

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:41 am Reply with quote
With that out of the way, I have to say that Mr Kawahara likes his infodumps. He can also try to backpedal by asserting "I wrote this a long time ago, I was such a noob so I wouldn't write pseudo-rape scenes today" but that seems a little easy to say to deflect criticism. Also seems the pacing is slowww and I just had to laugh at Ep6 that after Asuna infiltrates the evil Rath core she just whips off the wig and glasses and after the resulting giant infodump (villains just love to monologue...) of the evil plan Kirito was being made to be part of, she just says "OK, I guess I'll just leave it up to you to take care of husbando-kun". WTF Shocked
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:27 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Fred Lougee wrote:
... One really egregious goof that sticks out...Sinon... noticing that Death Gun's weapon is the exact same model, a Black Star Type 54, she refers to it as a "single-action". If you know bupkis about guns I will explain how this is a major goof.

In firearms, referring to a weapon as "single-action" means that only one thing happens when the trigger is pulled...The gun in question, the Black Star Type 54, was definitely not a revolver. It was your standard semi-automatic handgun with the clip in the handle, slide action, and the recoil of firing causes the slide to eject the spent casing with the next round coming up from below.

This is not a mistake an uber gun-savvy person would make..
I just got up to speed on SAO:Alice so I saw this way late but I have to correct this. I have a double-action semi-auto pistol and the following vid is for you and everyone who is interested. Mr Sigsawa (transliteration of the gun mfg Sig Sauer) who advised SAOII and wrote SAO Alt:GGO definitely knows his stuff and did not goof anything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu6Kg4oEAmA

Ah...Thanks for posting on that. Completely different meaning for the terms explains a lot. I still have a hard time believing that a 9 year old Japanese girl could fire 3 shots from a gun based off the 1911, which the Type 54 appears to be. A couple of my uncles took me out shooting on multiple occasions when I was in high school, but I never got the hang of hitting what I was aiming at or got the "gun bug". I recall Uncle Rory's 1911 having a pretty sharp kick.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
which makes it the ultimate counter for Bercouli's flaming phoenix bow
Red Knight is named Deusolbert. Bercouli is the blue-haired guy with blue-turned-red eyes and a kimono who offed his poor ice dragon friend.
青白

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:10 am Reply with quote
This latest episode was just too f*&ucking bad at so many levels I couldn't give it more than 1 star.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:37 am Reply with quote
青白 wrote:
This latest episode was just too f*&ucking bad at so many levels I couldn't give it more than 1 star.

Hyperbole, but I mostly agree. Walking and talking like they are in the middle of some shopping mall, not right smack dab in enemy territory, and then "Hey...someone to fight!" Dueselbert's response to having his ichiban sword skill bested by Eugeo's spur-of-the-moment "Huh???" power up was straight out of a bad Samurai epic. Akira Kurosawa is rolling in his grave.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:04 am Reply with quote
^
Please.

I forgot to bring this up in the review, but it's not like Eugeo's sword having a power-up hasn't been indicated prior to this (like, last episode, for instance), and the fact that it was recovered from a cave of ice makes its ice generation ability logically follow; in fact, one could surmise that the sword was the reason why there was ice in the cave. Also, remember that the item control level on that sword is higher than anyone who isn't on level with an Integrity Knight can handle, so the Blue Rose Sword is a top-level item for Underworld.

So yeah, what Eugeo did to Duesolbert (and yeah, I did get the name wrong in the review) was not even close to being an ass-pull.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:07 am Reply with quote
Always nice to find what you want instantly, even when I clean my house up I can't find what I need.

Cool we got a nice new opening.

Those skills Kirito and Eugeo used to defeat the crimson knight were very impressive, I thought the crimson knight himself was pretty cool with all that fire and stuff.

Looking forward to seeing what Kirito's perfect weapon control art is, might be duel wield so he can use starburst stream ect.

I think those 2 kids might be there for a fight, will be very interesting to see what happens next time.

New ending was decent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 13