Forum - View topic
NEWS: Radiant TV Anime Gets 2nd Series in October


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ultimate N



Joined: 13 Mar 2018
Posts: 76
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
I'm genuingly happy about this, I'm glad to see the Radiant anime is gonna keep going. It felt weird to end the anime right when the series was starting to go somewhere. Although I also can't help but feel bad for it since it's coming out the same season as MHA season 4. I'm excited for both, but it's pretty obvious which one is gonna be overshadowed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DRosencraft



Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 481
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if it sounds like I'm nitpicking or anything, but is there a reason it's being referred to as a new "series" instead of "season"? I know much of the world refers to a single show having various "seasons", while British broadcasting uses "series" for the same concept (so, "One Punch Man series 2" rather than "One Punch Man season 2"). Not knowing which convention we're following here could be a tad confusing and lead to misunderstandings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
HueyLion



Joined: 14 Feb 2014
Posts: 789
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I thought the first series was good totally looking forward to this
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chaotic-Overlord



Joined: 26 Feb 2018
Posts: 42
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
Sorry if it sounds like I'm nitpicking or anything, but is there a reason it's being referred to as a new "series" instead of "season"? I know much of the world refers to a single show having various "seasons", while British broadcasting uses "series" for the same concept (so, "One Punch Man series 2" rather than "One Punch Man season 2"). Not knowing which convention we're following here could be a tad confusing and lead to misunderstandings.

This isn't a thing of country. It's a person to person preference. I've known people from Britain, a fair few as well, use the term season, but then I've also known a few people from America, who use series. The best example I can think of right now, is Doctor Who, originally it was referred to as seasons, but then when it returned, they decided to go with series. That's all this is a case of, each person has a different way of saying it. In this scenario, series is used in the same way as season would be used. It's just going to be a season 2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jonny Mendes



Joined: 17 Oct 2014
Posts: 993
Location: Europe
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
Sorry if it sounds like I'm nitpicking or anything, but is there a reason it's being referred to as a new "series" instead of "season"? I know much of the world refers to a single show having various "seasons", while British broadcasting uses "series" for the same concept (so, "One Punch Man series 2" rather than "One Punch Man season 2"). Not knowing which convention we're following here could be a tad confusing and lead to misunderstandings.


There was a "Answerman" a few years ago about the use of "season" on Japanese anime.
animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2017-10-25/.123111

Long story short, "season" is not used when someone talk about shows in Japan.
Like in UK they separate TV shows in "series". Even long continuous anime like One Piece are more likely to be separated in story arcs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DRosencraft



Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 481
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
@Jonny, I don't know that really answers my question. Yes, I know shows like One Piece don't really have "seasons" because they run continuously. And I know shows like PreCure have different "series" because they exist in the same general universe but each one follows distinct stories with distinct characters. But then you have something else, like Food Wars, or my aforementioned MHA, which are relatively long running, but take breaks, refer to subsequent sets of episodes as "seasons". I don't know I've ever read anyone refer to the batches of MHA as different series on this site, either in the comments or in the articles themselves. They've been called seasons, or referred to individual arcs.

Radiant would seem to be more along these lines, but the story used the term "series". Is this because it is more like the PreCure example - same general "universe" but different story and characters, or was it simply abstract or poor wording and they meant "arc" to refer to a more One Piece style example. Because there are no doubt "series" that use "season" to denote episode batches when they take breaks as Radiant is doing here. But, most shows also don't cut at episode 21 either.

I'm not saying the word was necessarily used wrong in the article, just that based on the way it is usually used on this site leads to some confusion. As i said, it's a bit of a nitpick, and likely doesn't amount to much difference, but it could change the entire meaning of what show is airing in the Fall.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tripple-A



Joined: 21 Feb 2017
Posts: 347
Location: Hamburg, Germany
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Great news ^^
The start was a bit slow but I really liked the arc with Hameline and I'm looking forward to the 2nd season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jonny Mendes



Joined: 17 Oct 2014
Posts: 993
Location: Europe
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
@Jonny, I don't know that really answers my question. Yes, I know shows like One Piece don't really have "seasons" because they run continuously. And I know shows like PreCure have different "series" because they exist in the same general universe but each one follows distinct stories with distinct characters. But then you have something else, like Food Wars, or my aforementioned MHA, which are relatively long running, but take breaks, refer to subsequent sets of episodes as "seasons". I don't know I've ever read anyone refer to the batches of MHA as different series on this site, either in the comments or in the articles themselves. They've been called seasons, or referred to individual arcs.

Radiant would seem to be more along these lines, but the story used the term "series". Is this because it is more like the PreCure example - same general "universe" but different story and characters, or was it simply abstract or poor wording and they meant "arc" to refer to a more One Piece style example. Because there are no doubt "series" that use "season" to denote episode batches when they take breaks as Radiant is doing here. But, most shows also don't cut at episode 21 either.

I'm not saying the word was necessarily used wrong in the article, just that based on the way it is usually used on this site leads to some confusion. As i said, it's a bit of a nitpick, and likely doesn't amount to much difference, but it could change the entire meaning of what show is airing in the Fall.


I also think is somewhat confusing,
I think they use "season" in American sites most of the time because of easy of use and familiarity with the word.
On ANN sometimes they use "series", but most of the times they use "season".

But because "season" are not used in Japan, when they talk about "new season" you can think is a new series. ("season" 2 is in reality series 2 for example)

But like you say, is pretty confusing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jaykayjk10



Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 134
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Let’s go! I was indifferent with this series at first due to the filler-esque episodes, but this anime grew on me, especially with the end of the Hameline arc. We got to see some substantial character growth and development. Hope 2nd season is strong all the way through.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ali07



Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 3333
Location: Victoria, Australia
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I've still got around 5 episodes left to check out, but very pleased that the series will continue in October. Have really enjoyed this series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor


Joined: 16 Oct 2009
Posts: 517
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
Sorry if it sounds like I'm nitpicking or anything, but is there a reason it's being referred to as a new "series" instead of "season"?


This has to do with how it was worded in the original Japanese announcement. In Japanese this was worded as "第2シリーズ" or "2nd series." We try to adhere to the way it's worded in Japanese in case there's some significance to it. If the announcement had used 第2期 or 第二期, that translates to "second season" so we would have used that in the article instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tuor_of_Gondolin



Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Posts: 3500
Location: Bellevue, WA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Just FYI, but the end of the last episode (Ep 21) referred to it as "Second Season".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Sekaro



Joined: 12 Nov 2018
Posts: 221
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:31 am Reply with quote
I'm genuinely surprised this got a second season. I never got the impression this did very well in its first initial run. I'm not judging the actual show btw since I've never seen it. I'm just judging based on what I've seen and heard regarding this show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Egan Loo



Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 1113
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:49 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Just FYI, but the end of the last episode (Ep 21) referred to it as "Second Season".


The original Japanese text in that ending actually describes it as "第2シリーズ" or "second series." Instead, the English translation in Crunchyroll's stream uses "season 2."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Animorphimagi





PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm not very picky when it comes to watching shounen anime, but this is almost as bad as Fairy Tail. Thankfully Mellie saves it for me and if Doc isn't around then it's all the better. The next arc looks way better than the previous ones, in fact I wouldn't mind telling someone to skip to season two if they were even kind of interested in the series.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group