• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hulu Streams Full Moon o Sagashite Beyond U.S. DVD Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
I for one am overjoyed. While I would prefer to own a physical release, at least being able to watch the rest legally makes me happy. If only Funi would at least do this much for Kodocha - not to be critical of Funi, I just would like to be able to legally watch the rest of Kodocha.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Well I'm glad to see that fans can at least follow the whole show on Hulu, I remember having to find fansubs for at least part of the series when I watched it.
Speaking of which, the Viz streaming subs, while flawed,* are more accurate than the prevailing fansub version during the early episodes. The fansubs have some downright embarrassing mishears and translation errors, along with plenty of awkward writing. So that's one reason to watch these streams, anyway.

*Such as: OP/ED songs not translated for a singing anime (even though they were translated on DVD IIRC) non-existent onscreen text translation, some awkward lines ("Miss Ooshige is such worrier"), and wonky timing. And there's some dumb localization choices, like adding in "Masami" when Masami Ooshige refers to herself as simply "Ooshige."

EDIT:
Also, Viz screws with the video and the music. The title screens are blank -- neither the Japanese text nor any English translation is present. Ending videos are replaced not with a creditless version, but with a generic star background screen with scrolling English credits. As with many Viz credit scrolls, they're not episode-specific, so you'll see voice acting credits for characters that weren't in the episodes, and miss credits for characters that were present. Worse yet, Viz continues to use ED1 ("New Future") even after episode 7, where the show originally switched to ED2 ("Myself"). Note that the first 2 lines of "Myself" play at the very end of the actual episodes, after which the song is supposed to lead into the ED video. But no, with these streams, you get the first 2 lines of "Myself" and then a completely different song.

So yeah, long story short, these streams fail on many levels.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
CaptainAvatar wrote:
I for one am overjoyed. While I would prefer to own a physical release, at least being able to watch the rest legally makes me happy. If only Funi would at least do this much for Kodocha - not to be critical of Funi, I just would like to be able to legally watch the rest of Kodocha.

I agree, I had watched the first 3 discs via Netflix, and started buying (I think only 4 volumes were out). I was going to wait until I had the whole thing before watching. I could not bring myself to continue once the remaining DVD releases were cancelled.
Every time I would look at my shelves, those 7 discs were sitting there, reminding me of my disappointment.
I am glad I can finally break the seal on the last 3 discs I have, and continue with the story legally.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Well at least they are going to be online. I just wish Funimation would do the same for stuff like Case Closed, Kodacha, or squeals to series Galaxy Railways, When They Cry, etc. That is one thing I like to ask them at con if they ever tried or cost of license for even streaming is to much.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Well I'm glad to see that fans can at least follow the whole show on Hulu, I remember having to find fansubs for at least part of the series when I watched it.
Speaking of which, the Viz streaming subs, while flawed,* are more accurate than the prevailing fansub version during the early episodes. The fansubs have some downright embarrassing mishears and translation errors, along with plenty of awkward writing. So that's one reason to watch these streams, anyway.

*Songs not translated for a singing anime, even though they were translated on DVD IIRC, non-existent onscreen text translation, some awkward lines, wonky timing

That always bugs me, though it doesn't seem super common anymore (at least in my limited experience). Worst example I can remember is the end of Rumbling Hearts... hopefully nothing in Full Moon o Sagashite is on that level.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
What a wasted opportunity, don't they realize how much support there is from fans of this show to finish it? If they only released this for hulu subscribers or one of the other subscription based sites like Crunchyroll, I'd buy it up in a heartbeat. Sure they still make money off advertisers and Hulu subscribers can probably get a H(er)D version, but they really aren't exploiting the fans as much as I think they could. I support the success of streaming commerce and in order for content providers to be in the game, they should know their customers better.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Supermutant wrote:
I just wish Funimation would do the same for stuff like Case Closed, Kodacha, or squeals to series Galaxy Railways, When They Cry, etc.

Maybe you should ask FUNi to squeal for you next time at a con Laughing .

Anyways, I've heard some good things about the series so I might check it out sometime... After I finish 20gb of unlicensed animes and stuff not meant for young children.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
That always bugs me, though it doesn't seem super common anymore (at least in my limited experience). Worst example I can remember is the end of Rumbling Hearts... hopefully nothing in Full Moon o Sagashite is on that level.
Well, thanks to Full Moon being for younger audiences, the most plot-critical signs do eventually get read out or explained by the characters. But you do lose some of the experience. Like in ep 5, Meroko brings up "Danger Keywords" in her handbook that include "space shuttle," "ice floes," and "high school girls." Only "high school girls" is actually mentioned out loud, so you miss a bit of random silliness.

And while I did mention wonky timing, that could be attributed to the streaming player. Media-Blasters' Queen's Blade subs have poor timing on CR, yet are acceptably-timed on DVD/BD.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
I remember one thing that initially stopped me from investing in titles like Kodocha, Hikaru no Go, and Full Moon was the fact that I knew they were long series and I would have to invest hundreds of dollars collecting them. I always wonder what would have happened if they had been released in 13 episode sets, which is more or less the norm today. Would more people have bought them? Were a lot of people waiting for Viz to release their titles in cheaper box sets, not realizing this would never happen? (It did for Kodocha.) Especially with Hikaru no Go it seems like releasing it as a bigger chunk would have helped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2