• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Spike Lee Signs Onto Oldboy Film Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

What are you talking about? My point of the message is that there are hypocrisy in the anime community if you didn't notice this. How is Asia remaking an American film any different from America remaking American film?

American films have a wider release and marketing, even when they flop unlike the original movies. That is the point. The reason why many western anime "purists" complain about the western hack jobs is because they are the ones who have to suffer from the editing and overtly free translations. Maybe there are Japanese Beast Wars fans who don't like the changes either but why should you care when you can buy the American release?

There were some complaints when The Cat Returns was released in Finland with dub only, unlike the other Ghibli movies. I don't really think any of those who didn't watch the movie because of the dub would care less about the fact that most Japanese people watch dubs all the time. It's their viewing experience that matters, not what people do in other countries.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Do The Right Thing (if you haven't seen this film and you feel yourself qualified to comment on Spike Lee as a director, please understand that you don't know what you're talking about).

So, if someone decides to come into your offices, tells you that "Hey, those pictures of Anime characters on your wall are racist, why don't you have any pictures of black people on there?," you'd be completely fine with that assessment? Or would you react in a completely different way?

Also, I find the actions of one of the characters completely contradictory to the quote by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. put up at the end of the movie. You can't tell me that action would've made King proud, let alone justifiable.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

What are you talking about? My point of the message is that there are hypocrisy in the anime community if you didn't notice this. How is Asia remaking an American film any different from America remaking American film?

American films have a wider release and marketing, even when they flop unlike the original movies. That is the point. The reason why many western anime "purists" complain about the western hack jobs is because they are the ones who have to suffer from the editing and overtly free translations. Maybe there are Japanese Beast Wars fans who don't like the changes either but why should you care when you can buy the American release?

These same western anime purists/Japanese supremacists failed to mention or acknowledged that Japan can severely alter/edit American cartoon too. Why do I care if Beast Wars got severely altered in Japan, because I'm not a hypocrite like most anime fans. If I complain about US editing/altered anime and manga, then I have to do the same thing when Japan edit American cartoon, if I don't complain then I'm a hypocrite. To be honest, hypocrisy and double standard is my biggest pet peeves and thing that piss me off. I know for every fandom, there'll be hypocrite. Nobody beside me investigate what Japan does to American stuff, if I didn't investigate I might have been just like most stuck up anime purists. When I saw Japan did to Beast Wars and other American stuff they edit/alter, it showed me that Japan is no different from America when it comes editing/altering stuff. Even Japan's censorship is ridiculous as US's censorship like for example:

Japan censored COD: Black Ops removing gore/dismemberment in the game. Yet this is the same Japan that make some of the goriest anime/movie like Basilisk, Berserk, Tokyo Gore Police, Machine Girl, and selected films by Takeshi Miike. In other word, when movie and most anime have graphic violence and gore, it doesn't get censored, but yet when it's the same content is in video game they get censored, see the problem? Here's an article about Japan's gap on violence in film and game. Although from watching a lot of ecchi anime, hentai, and seeing eroge visual novel game, Japan is no stranger to sex and Japan has a thing for boobs. But yet, they sort of confuse me when Japan decide to censor Mafia 2's playboy magazine when it went to Japan. That's why I have a grudge against CERO (Japan's super strict equivalent of ESRB and PEGI), they contradict everything what Japan is to anime fans in the west. We edit Japanese game for American/western release, but Japan does the same thing to American game when they go to Japan. I do complain for both US/western and Japan editing of each other games.

Before I end this, let me ask you this same question, Ryo Hazuki and you didn't answer the first time I ask you?

If your favorite cartoon (whether it's from US or Europe or from Finland) you watch and love adoringly went to Japan where the Japanese distributors didn't like the original content and decide to heavily edit it as in change the plotline, rename the characters and the title name with Japanese name, cut up what is not important, and change every western setting with Japanese setting, and destroying traces of it's western origin. After it was shown in Japan, you saw the Japanese version of this same western cartoon you loved on Youtube, and you were shocked to see how much Japan did to your cartoon. The question is:

Wouldn't you complain what Japan did to your favorite cartoon the same way US/western did to anime?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
Sure it's a generalization, but to be honest, I welcome an American adaptation of Oldboy. I've got no real interest in the Korean movie; I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.

Yeah I know the type of people that consider watching a foreign works to be an injustice to their right to be entertained in their native tongue and tailored to fit the local mores.

"Right," is a word that nobody who sees promise in this has used, neither is, "entitlement," a word, or derivations thereof, that you similarly invoked against those who would have liked an English dub of Puella Magi Madoka Magica even though none of them had used it. This is with good reason as the terms hardly make any honest sense when we're discussing what people might freely choose to watch or not watch. Unless I'm unaware of something, there's no force using the implicit threat of violence to dictate how foreign entertainment is introduced into the American domestic market. As for why some people might want an adaptation, well, it is entertainment, after all, not some sort of idol of aesthetic virtue to be offered obeisances.

I am talking about people that absolutely refuse to watch foreign products unless there is an adaption or localization with their native country in mind. I used the word "right" because many people don't have the balls to flat-out say it themselves, mind you I am using some people I know as reference not the faceless knuckledraggers on the internet. People are free to chose what they want to watch but that does not mean their reasoning for making that choice is beyond reproach.

Goodluck playing devil's advocate for people you don't even know.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Hahahah, ya guys do realize that the Korean film itself is a remake of the original Japanese manga, right?

So why is one remake allowed while others are not? Laughing

Ryo Hazuki wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
uh, did you forget Asia has been also remaking American film also. Are you going to complain about that too? I believe I mention this on a previous article.

Even the worst and least successful American movies will eventually get released at least on DVD in Europe unlike most Asian remakes.

That's not a failure on the part of American studios but a failure on the part of Japanese studios that they cannot release their movies in Europe. Don't blame the American studios for doing something that they can do that the Japanese studios cannot. Blame the Japanese studios.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Wouldn't you complain what Japan did to your favorite cartoon the same way US/western did to anime?

It wouldn't affect my viewing experience, unlike US edits, which lazy Finnish exporters often end up using, like Shogun Assassin and American dubbed and edited Hong Kong movies. I don't really see it as a realistic scenario that the Japanese edit of say, (I can't think of any example) would be the only version easily available in the Western market, unlike Supercop version of Police Story 3, for example.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:03 am Reply with quote
I look forward to the Japanese remake of Do The Right Thing
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:24 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
I look forward to the Japanese remake of Do The Right Thing

Dirty American Gaijin harass Mr. Matsumoto on why he has pictures of great Military Leaders from WWII on his Ramen Shop Walls in America town section of Tokyo, and demands that a picture of General MacArthur be put up.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
Ok, the reason we're not bitching about Asian countries remaking Western properties is because at least they do something with the material, and they don't destroy what made it so appealing in the first place like Hollywood. Plus, they give credit where it's due. As for those shitty video game localizations, those were either decided by the American companies or by Japanese software companies not known for quality product in the first place. I'm also not sure why Spike Lee was wrong to point out that black soldiers did fight at Iwo Jima.

Sunday Silence:
Quote:
So, if someone decides to come into your offices, tells you that "Hey, those pictures of Anime characters on your wall are racist, why don't you have any pictures of black people on there?," you'd be completely fine with that assessment?

Well, it's not like it hasn't been brought up before...
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:54 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

It wouldn't affect my viewing experience, unlike US edits, which lazy Finnish exporters often end up using, like Shogun Assassin and American dubbed and edited Hong Kong movies. I don't really see it as a realistic scenario that the Japanese edit of say, (I can't think of any example) would be the only version easily available in the Western market, unlike Supercop version of Police Story 3, for example.

Then how is Japan heavily editing American video game/cartoon any different from how US heavily edit anime/manga? If I find more evidence of Japan editing American cartoon even to the point of redoing it as in renaming the characters with Japanese name, or Japan pulling a Robotech as in Japan splice three different American/western cartoon together and make it look like they were original, then you would have to complain at some point. As I said, if Japan heavily edited our cartoon, I have to complain and criticize too just like how I complain US edit anime/manga, otherwise I'll be label a hypocrite, I seem to be the only one in ANN that does research on how Japan edit American stuff almost and on the same level as US editing Japanese stuff.

GATSU wrote:
Ok, the reason we're not bitching about Asian countries remaking Western properties is because at least they do something with the material, and they don't destroy what made it so appealing in the first place like Hollywood. Plus, they give credit where it's due. As for those shitty video game localizations, those were either decided by the American companies or by Japanese software companies not known for quality product in the first place.

Then how is Asia remaking American film any different from America remaking Asian film. I don't think you get the point, if people are complaining about America remaking Asian film, shouldn't the Asian remaking American film get the same flak from the same group. Here's the problem and I mention this a lot, the people that complain about America remaking Asian film has praised Asia remake of American film, see the problem? I even saw people bashing the original American film that the Asian remake was based on. So if Japan was to remake the Godfather and Sonny Chiba play Vito Corleone for the remake, I might expect one Japanese supremacist to say this:

"Japan is remaking the Godfather, f(bleep) yeah!!! You know what f(bleep) the American version, I always thought it was a piece of s(bleep)!!! The Japanese version will be so much better then that piece of s(bleep) the American made. You know what f(bleep) Pacino, f(bleep) Brando, and f(bleep) Coppola. I don't know even know why the American version was rated the best Gangster movie ever, the Japanese will blow that American s(bleep) out of the water!!! All hail, Nippon!!!"

GATSU, would you stand for this if somebody praise the Asian remake and maybe bash the original American version? I wouldn't, it shows Asian supremacy goes too far when it comes to remake. America does acknowledge the original film when they remake a film, you just don't watch the credit for the remake. Remake can go good or bad, or and when Zhang Yimou remade Blood Simple it wasn't a faithful remake it turn from serious in the original to slapstick comedy in the remake. So you see Asia can mess up on remake too, Zhang Yimou's remake of Blood Simple is an example. Try watching both Blood Simple and the remake done by Zhang Yimou, I think you can realize that Asia can mess up on remake too just like what America did. If you somehow defend Zhang Yimou's reason to make the remake the comedy instead of gritty like in the original, and attack American remake of Asian film for not being close, then you're a hypocrite and you'll be labeled "Asian supremacist" for that.

Oh and about those crappy video game localizations you said, uh yeah that sometime happen in Japan (and maybe US, Yakuza 3 is probably one I can think of that happen recently). But I remember Square Enix removed the Nazi Swastika from Call of Duty Black Ops, that didn't make any sense (I can't access Kotaku for that article because I'm at work and it won't allow me to access Kotaku) despite Japan having a Nazi chic, also Homefront was slightly modified for the Japanese release as in Kim Jong-il didn't die in the game and North Korean are refer as "enemies from the north" in the Japanese version (again, I can't access the article from Kotaku or any other video game sites). But what Japan does to our game is no different from what we did to their.

My point: If I complaint about what US does to anime/manga/Japanese games, then I have to do the same when Japan does the same to our stuff that include video game/cartoon/anything that is made in US. I'll be a hypocrite if I just complain about what US does to Japanese stuff and not complain about what Japan does to US stuff, it wouldn't be fair would it? Hypocrisy and double standard are my pet peeves and things that piss me off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
II'm also not sure why Spike Lee was wrong to point out that black soldiers did fight at Iwo Jima.

The thing is, he also threw in "Letters from Iwo Jima" into his little "debate" about why there were no black soldiers seen in the Clint Eastwood movies. Unless someone can prove me wrong, I don't recall the Japanese Imperial Army fielding any black soldiers in their ranks in that battle.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Sunday:
Quote:
Unless someone can prove me wrong, I don't recall the Japanese Imperial Army fielding any black soldiers in their ranks in that battle.

I dunno about directly, but definitely through the Tuskegee squadron.

mdo:
Quote:
Then how is Asia remaking American film any different from America remaking Asian film.

I told you. Outside of those godawful unofficial Bollywood/Turkish rip-offs on Youtube, they got respect for the source material.

Quote:
America does acknowledge the original film when they remake a film, you just don't watch the credit for the remake.

No one watches the film credits. My point is that they try to pass off the remake as their own movie.

Quote:
Remake can go good or bad, or and when Zhang Yimou remade Blood Simple it wasn't a faithful remake it turn from serious in the original to slapstick comedy in the remake. So you see Asia can mess up on remake too,

Zhang Yimou earned the right to do a different take on Blood Simple. I'm not sure about the the people who remade A Tale of Two Sisters into The Uninvited, however.

Quote:
Oh and about those crappy video game localizations you said, uh yeah that sometime happen in Japan (and maybe US, Yakuza 3 is probably one I can think of that happen recently).

Yakuza 3 was a good localization, and what the Japanese end of SEGA wanted.

Quote:
But I remember Square Enix removed the Nazi Swastika from Call of Duty Black Ops, that didn't make any sense (I can't access Kotaku for that article because I'm at work and it won't allow me to access Kotaku) despite Japan having a Nazi chic, also Homefront was slightly modified for the Japanese release as in Kim Jong-il didn't die in the game and North Korean are refer as "enemies from the north" in the Japanese version

I understand the Kim Jong-il thing, given the guy's eager to nuke anything which makes fun of him. But as for the Nazi thing, maybe they thought it'd be more appealing if it was modernized.
AgumonKid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Honestly people here need to shut up. I know people getting angry about the whole "American remaking Japanese anime/manga" thing but this is suppose to a remake of a Live-Action Korean film. What I hate the most about the first few post were all racial jokes just because the BLACK director has black people in his movies. I know people complaining but before you guys go overboard you should try to pay attention to who the Director is. Spike Lee is a great director and has made some great films, but if your not gonna pay attention to him the script right made [expletive] I AM LEGEND! I may be black but I will be a little bugged if there are too many black people in his version. What I'm trying to say is no one should really complain about this movie because it's Live-action based which already makes it 50X better and how Hollywood is hiring there best work.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What I'm trying to say is no one should really complain about this movie because it's Live-action based which already makes it 50X better and how Hollywood is hiring there best work.

50x better than what?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
AgumonKid wrote:
What I'm trying to say is no one should really complain about this movie because it's Live-action based which already makes it 50X better and how Hollywood is hiring there best work.

Super Mario Brothers.......Dragonball Evolution.......
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4