• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Omega Labyrinth Life Game's 1st Promo Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:08 am Reply with quote
I appreciate the way it takes the piss out of Sony at the end. Laughing
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:
I appreciate the way it takes the piss out of Sony at the end. Laughing

I took it as more of a jab at westerners since they used stock photos of foreigners rather than Japanese people. Although I guess that could still apply to Sony too these days.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote
That jab is something else. I'll preload it on my Switch after E3 providing things like Daemon x Machina still have no release dates otherwise I'll get it digitally a day before launch.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
I took it as more of a jab at westerners since they used stock photos of foreigners rather than Japanese people. Although I guess that could still apply to Sony too these days.

I think it was mainly about Sony. The Japanese game developers that make ecchi games for the PS4 get interrogated by people in another country, in a different language, and it is done in the middle of the night. If they fail the interrogation they are given no explanation and their game gets banned. The Japanese game developers will usually stay quiet for economic reasons but it must be aggravating.

I notice that the scene at the end of the trailer shows families with kids playing Labyrinth Life which is a good jab at the excuse that Sony gave for why they are censoring games. It is a nice example of parody since everyone knows that the new censorship regulations had nothing to do with children.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:

I think it was mainly about Sony. The Japanese game developers that make ecchi games for the PS4 get interrogated by people in another country, in a different language, and it is done in the middle of the night. If they fail the interrogation they are given no explanation and their game gets banned. The Japanese game developers will usually stay quiet for economic reasons but it must be aggravating.

Which I find bizarre given certain culture norms that are ingrained in Japanese people who are often times discouraged from publicly speaking out or expressing themselves in a certain way.

Chrono1000 wrote:

I notice that the scene at the end of the trailer shows families with kids playing Labyrinth Life which is a good jab at the excuse that Sony gave for why they are censoring games. It is a nice example of parody since everyone knows that the new censorship regulations had nothing to do with children.

With that being the case then why even snark about it, if technically it's wrong.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:39 pm Reply with quote
The ending is roughly

"Is it not embarrassing to enjoy this game with my family?*
"Thank you for the question. We are selling a Labyrinth Life edition with the boobs taken out. Please play this game all the way through in front of anyone. Your family will not mind at all! Play together with everyone! Mr. Reporter, who are you planning to play this game with?
"Alone. I will play it with myself!"
"I see. Please buy both versions then"
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Which I find bizarre given certain culture norms that are ingrained in Japanese people who are often times discouraged from publicly speaking out or expressing themselves in a certain way.

Considering what is going on in the western world I would say that statement about Japan is debatable. It is hard to imagine a major game developer in the western world releasing a trailer for an ecchi game that mocks game censorship in 2019. In the western world if that happened the publisher would force the game developer to fire everyone involved, those people would than get smeared by game journalists, and their social media accounts would get mass reported until they were deplatformed.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
With that being the case then why even snark about it, if technically it's wrong.

The entire trailer is humorous but that last scene was one of the best examples of parody I have seen this month. The idea that an M rated game needs to be censored to protect the children is hilarious because it is obviously wrong.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:

Considering what is going on in the western world I would say that statement about Japan is debatable.

Not really since both the "western" world and Japan have some "problems" with elements of their respective the culture some of them worst than the others some of them equally problematic.

Chrono1000 wrote:

It is hard to imagine a major game developer in the western world releasing a trailer for an ecchi game that mocks game censorship in 2019. In the western world if that happened the publisher would force the game developer to fire everyone involved,

I don't see Japan being any less likely to do something similar since in Japan though it's not exclusive to them you typically don't go doing something that casts the people you work with or for in a bad light since that can affect your ability to get future employment.

Chrono1000 wrote:

those people would than get smeared by game journalists, and their social media accounts would get mass reported until they were deplatformed.

When has this happened though?

Chrono1000 wrote:

The entire trailer is humorous but that last scene was one of the best examples of parody I have seen this month. The idea that an M rated game needs to be censored to protect the children is hilarious because it is obviously wrong.

So basically the trailer's attempt at comedy and social commentary is funny because it gets it's own message wrong?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1