• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira Gets New Anime Project & 4K Remaster of 1988 Anime Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:44 am Reply with quote
This is amazing, I always felt that AKIRA would have been better as an anime series. Don't get me wrong, the movie had beautiful animation and was masterfully directed by Otomo, but it seemed like a movie didn't capture the scope of the manga (obviously it was a movie, I think the manga wasn't even finished yet).
I guess they're going to recast all of the voices, but it would be cool if they manage to keep the voices from the original movie, at least in some other languages.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:34 am Reply with quote
Akira as a series with plenty of time to develop and tell its tale basically fixes my only issue with the film. Sign me up for this. I hope they keep the art design old school anime, like how Gundam Origin has that old school design despite being modern day production techniques.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in this, just started reading the manga, and it's pretty cool so far. Now I'm starting to wonder also if this new anime idea is greenlit and is successful, we'll get more world building, character development and such that the anime film doesn't even have (we get a stronger sense/better developed relationship with the Capsule gang in the manga, for example), and maybe we'll finally get the video game adaptation Akira deserved (it probably would be like a Grand Theft Auto type of game).

Kinda funny how this idea also came up in the year Akira takes place in, lol (and funnily enough the same day Neo Tokyo exploded was the exact same day and year the film was released in theaters) Laughing
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I hope whenever it gets dubbed that they'll be able to get back Joshua Seth and Johnny Young Bosch.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I hope they brought all the money to the table. Because, for once, they're going to need quite literally all the money if they want to even touch the feet of the original movie, let alone reach the full scope of the manga.

Is it even possible to spend as much money on anime these days as got spent on Akira? I'm not actually sure it's possible. Hell, actually, I don't think it was possible even then, but they did it anyway, so who knows...
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Will it still be called the 'Capsule Gang', or will it get the Fruits Basket 'no-smoking' section treatment, too?
Ajc228

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
If this is 2d animation mixed with some CG a la Gundam the Origin, I’m all in. If this is all CG, I have zero interest. I pray to god this isn’t a monkey’s paw situation like the more recent Berserk adaptations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2