• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya CG Anime's Trailer Previews Theme Song's English Cover

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Black Turtle wrote:
To this day, I still wonder who is this for. Not fans, obviously, Neither for the cartoon Shonen Jump Weekly that are pissed they changed the only male that wasn't a male warrior stereotype into a girl. Not sure it's for a new public either. I mean, who still has interest in Saint Seiya except for people in their late 20's/early 30's.

Don't confuse a few people being outraged over Shun's change as it not being for people who care about social justice. It's most certainly aimed at them and the culture they helped shaped where it's impossible to have an all-male cast in 2019 so a change was all but mandatory. Like Sergorn said it's for the 327 million Americans who never bothered with Saint Seiya, and most them aren't going to know who Shun is. But they will notice that Netflix put out a show starring 5 "white" guys with zero women in it and go after it as such.

Scion Drake wrote:
Its still badly amusing to me that the Saint they chose to gender-bent is the most obvious & lazy choice they went with. Of course they wound up bending the one Saint well known for showing the most feminine qualities. Let’s not kid around here, this franchise has such an androgynous art-style that you can prolly turn half the cast including the Gold Saints into women & nothing would change about them. So the idea of bending them to bring in more female characters is not an inherently bad idea.

It’s just they could have just went with any other Saint, it would have been a better choice. They could have bent Shiryu the most self-sacrificing & hardest working Saint of all who gives everything for the cause or Ikki the elder sibling lone wolf badass who always saves his little bro. Those two would have been pretty cool to see as women but no they went with the most stereotypical choice.

There’s also the worry they may change Shawn’s personality to be more inline with the typical “action girl” type character meaning the end result might barely resemble Shun at all & wind up a near completely different character.

It’s darkly funny. A waste of good potential really. Laughing

I don't see how it's any different than what Netflix did with Voltron. They turned the youngest, smallest, and weakest member into a girl which seems just as stereotypical on paper but that fan-base ate it up.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
If they'd genderswapped any other Saints, we would have had the same sort of outrage from fans anyway, not to mention each cos its own sets of "issues".

Seiya ? You'd have the whole "But I don't want to hero to be a girl !!!!" crowd

Shiryu ? He's the guy who get all his power when he is all naked, I'm sure that would have gone well with a woman.

Hyoga ? He's the guy who kept getting emotionnal and cry, again and again. Yeah that would not feel at all like a "girly" clech either Razz

Ikki ? A tomboy character ! Not a cliche at all.

Things is StSeiya characters are very much archetypes, and would still be is turned into women, and people would find reason to complain anyway so it's a no-win situation with fans anyway.

Frankly I've been watching StS for 30 years and this changes doesn't bother me one bit. If anything I welcome it actually because I feel it's a great to have a woman in the group (Omega's Yuna most definitly proved that) and I agree with Eugene Son's view that going all sausage fest for a 2019 series would feel... date. Hell personally I would even have went further and have two girls in the main group, thus going back to the traditionanl sentai formula which inspired Saint Seiya : 3 mens, 2 women. Wink

And yeah some will say "They could just have added a sixth main character" (which they actually considered, putting Cameleon June as a new character) but it's not that easy because StS is carefully balanced for its five character group. Add another and it breaks that balance - like imagine the Sanctuary battle against the Golds : you'd have to have one of the classic characters lose some of their iconic fights for the new woman character, or just have her serve as a support and... look don't we suffer enough of that in many shonens ? At least we know Shaun will get her time to shine in the series.

So yeah I think it's a good decision on the whole, or at the very least the letter of evils if you want to put a woman character in Saint Seiya

(And yeah this is EXACTLY was they did with Voltron, and Pidge was ma favorite character of the reboot)

-Sergorn
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Sergorn wrote:
StS was always aimed at kids in spite of is graphic violence, it's just than Japan 30 years ago had a very different mindset to violence and kids that we do in the west.
I just want to react to that. As all Shonen Jump series, StS meant for teenagers around 12-15 (just look at the age of the protagonist, and you'll have the public for which it's aimed) like most anime/manga still are to this day.

The idea it was meant for kids is a misinterpretation due to using western standard to japanese anime. Cartoons were only aimed kids (or satire for adults), and rarely for teenagers. Thus it lead to the idea that there was big difference in how violence kids could see, because they assumed that it was meant for the same public as the TNMT cartoon, for example, when it was aimed for a slightly older audience. There might still have been a gap in what is acceptable, but not as much as that, just look at some 10+ or 12+ action movies of the 80's and 90's, and I'm not sure you'll still think the japanese are the one that accept more violents things. There was the same problem with things like Fist of the North Star, that aired past 11pm, but was still considered for kids because it was animation. To this day, that misunderstanding still lives.

Sergorn wrote:
Hyoga ? He's the guy who kept getting emotionnal and cry, again and again. Yeah that would not feel at all like a "girly" clech either Razz
Well, it's even worse with Shun.
(I want to make it clear I don't care. From what I've seen, it's not for me. I have some kind of Nostalgia with StS, but except The Lost Canvas, everything StS has sucked for more than a decade. The drama about the CG show entertained me a lot though)
Sergorn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
StS meant for teenagers around 12-15

That's incorrect. The producer of the TV series flat out says in the DVD extras of the original series that the series was aimed for kids in elementary-school, and that it even surprisingly got success with kids in KINTERGARTEN as well. They actually created the Steel Saints for these young kids. The manga aimed a tad older (they actually mention softening up some things a bit in the anime), but not that much.

Might seem crazy for our western sensitivities but it's true. That's why seeing StS fans about how Saint Seiya Omega was "for kids" was hilarious, because Omega aimed the exact same age bracket as the original series - it's just that sensibilities in Japan changed in twenty+ years.

Quote:
Well, it's even worse with Shun.

Hyoga is much more a crybaby than Shun, really. Remove the pink (which is not even specifically considered a "girl color" in Japan) and Shun it's all that girly, he's just a good looking strong guy who doesn't like violence but who still fight when he needs to.

Western fans of StS have a distorted view of the character and his signifiance as if he was anything special, but there were characters like him in shonen before, and especially Kurumada's previous works.

(Now to be fair, the anime did tend to make all the characters more caricatural, like how Shun kept being saved his brother which rarely happens in the original manga. And it was the same with the others characters their archetypal traits just turned into caricatures)

-Sergorn
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3