• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Rising of The Shield Hero Anime Gets 2 More Seasons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krunky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote
>Re:Zero continuation announced at AnimeJapan
>trended worldwide for 8 hours
>Shield Hero continuation announced at CRX
>nobody but the incels and diehards care and see it as TAKE THAT to critics even though it was telegraphed for months that a second season was going to happen regardless of its reception.

Really makes you think
shabu shabu wrote:
Reinheit Hezen wrote:
Let's hope it's not like this, but tbh Tate no Yuusha is not enough popular in Japan to have 2 sequels announced at the same time, a second season would be possible, but without Crunchyroll's money it wouldn't be possible, this anime became an occidental-aiming fans proyect.

I remember seeing Tate no Yuusha at the top of some popularity polls and Raftalia being very popular when the show was airing here.

I didn't see any characters ranked on Newtype or Animage. The show sold on average of 2.2k and wasn't much of a topic of discussion in Japan hence why it was mostly forgotten. sales didn't even move much considering it didn't pop up on either Oricon hald year list for LNs and Manga (coincidentally Slime did) This is all being backed up by CrunchyRoll and they already hinted at producing more months ago.
Krunky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
AA751 wrote:
Hatsu95 wrote:
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
what makes this better than other isekai titles?(considering all the universal hate that genre seems too get)

absolutely nothing ! it is as generic as you can get and the writing is so bad it's almost comical.

Its the Streisand effect. If people hadn't have vocally hated the series so much it would have sunk into mediocrity like most isekai.

Instead we get incels, or people who like to be contrary determined to love the show no matter what and score it high, to shove it to those ebil killjoy feminists.

It's funny and pretty predictable.

Or you know people legit love the series, no it couldn't possibly be that! Shield Hero was already a very popular web novel/light novel series long before the anime came out and it already had an existing fanbase and I can assure you we're not god damn Incels or contrarians. I really don't understand why people like you have to pop up and shit on people for liking something.

He didn't rule out the possibility of people having bad taste. Rolling Eyes
AA751

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
AA751 wrote:
Hatsu95 wrote:
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
what makes this better than other isekai titles?(considering all the universal hate that genre seems too get)

absolutely nothing ! it is as generic as you can get and the writing is so bad it's almost comical.

Its the Streisand effect. If people hadn't have vocally hated the series so much it would have sunk into mediocrity like most isekai.

Instead we get incels, or people who like to be contrary determined to love the show no matter what and score it high, to shove it to those ebil killjoy feminists.

Or you know people legit love the series, no it couldn't possibly be that! Shield Hero was already a very popular web novel/light novel series long before the anime came out and it already had an existing fanbase and I can assure you we're not god damn Incels or contrarians. I really don't understand why people like you have to pop up and shit on people for liking something.

I'm one example of a person who wouldn't have known or cared about the series before the controversy.

Ironically to me, it was the fans reaction against the critics which I noticed the most, it seemed much more vocal.

Because of that I watched the series just to see the big deal and I found it boring. I'm sure I'm not the only one who did the same.
Krunky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
AA751 wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
AA751 wrote:
Hatsu95 wrote:
Siegfriedl88 wrote:

I'm one example of a person who wouldn't have known or cared about the series before the controversy.

Ironically to me, it was the fans reaction against the critics which I noticed the most, it seemed much more vocal.

Because of that I watched the series just to see the big deal and I found it boring. I'm sure I'm not the only one who did the same.

That seems to be the general consensus. I mean at least Goblin Slayer turned out okay but Shield Hero was way too much of a drag and had far too many unlikable characters being stupid all the way and it seems like once he got his revenge most people stopped caring.
AA751

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Krunky wrote:
AA751 wrote:

That seems to be the general consensus. I mean at least Goblin Slayer turned out okay but Shield Hero was way too much of a drag and had far too many unlikable characters being stupid all the way and it seems like once he got his revenge most people stopped caring.[/quote]

I was really surprised Goblin Slayer scored lower on MAL than Shield Hero. And by so much, too.

[EDIT: Removed excessive nesting. - Key]
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Here’s the thing. If people were criticizing storytelling, animation, characters, acting, etc, that would be one thing. But they attacked the show’s morality, that it was “problematic”, and the people who liked it were bad people. That doesn’t work. Ever.

I dunno. It certainly convinced me not to watch it, and I'm surely not the only one. It's true that controversies like this ultimately tend to follow the "no such thing as bad publicity" rule, but both sides contribute to that.

I don't think watching this show makes you a bad person. (Some, but not all, of its critics have said that, but you can find people saying that about literally anything if you look hard enough.) I do, however, wish more of the fans were willing to understand why it offends a lot of people.

Though, if they were so willing, most of them would probably quit watching it. There's always a weird sort of cognitive dissonance with "problematic" shows where people want to watch it without thinking about any social/moral problems and still claim to be on the right side of those political issues. They claim not to care, but their reactions to the criticisms show they do care, enough to spend ages arguing on the internet... just not enough to admit that their favorite show might be a bit, uh, antiquated, because then they wouldn't be able to enjoy it. Go back a few decades, and critics of a show like this would just be mocked briefly and forgotten. So I guess there's a bit of a silver lining.

Anyway, Symphogear is the other one that got two seasons announced at the same time. Maybe Overlord too, I don't follow that one.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:47 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I was referring to Twitter. The same people defending Spice were attacking Shield Hero.

Here’s the thing. If people were criticizing storytelling, animation, characters, acting, etc, that would be one thing. But they attacked the show’s morality, that it was “problematic”, and the people who liked it were bad people. That doesn’t work. Ever. And the controversy for better or for worse widened the audience a lot.

Sounds like they're in the wrong career then. Anime is problematic as all hell and that's why people love it, otherwise they'd just watch Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network I get the impression that was why Spice was greenlit in the first place. "Hey, Japan's never gonna stop being super problematic, let's make out own woke show." And then unsurprisingly the anime fandom universally hated it and it was quietly shelved and hasn't been seen in over a year.

Krunky wrote:
I didn't see any characters ranked on Newtype or Animage. The show sold on average of 2.2k and wasn't much of a topic of discussion in Japan hence why it was mostly forgotten. sales didn't even move much considering it didn't pop up on either Oricon hald year list for LNs and Manga (coincidentally Slime did) This is all being backed up by CrunchyRoll and they already hinted at producing more months ago.

Sales are an obsolete way to judge anime these days. The only shows that even get good sales anymore are idol stuff and other series that come packaged with event tickets or gacha codes in them like Uma Musume. People only buy DVDs for promo codes anymore.
Number 6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:25 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

Quote:
I don't think watching this show makes you a bad person. (Some, but not all, of its critics have said that, but you can find people saying that about literally anything if you look hard enough.) I do, however, wish more of the fans were willing to understand why it offends a lot of people.

I decided to watch Shield Hero because I was interested in its premise. And I kept at it because I enjoyed it but I obviously won't claim it's a great show or anything. Call me isekai trash if you want.

I then was made aware that it was controversial, with people mentioning the slavery element in it and how it offended people because Naofumi bought a slave when his nihilism from his circumstances was at its peak and how the relationship between Raphtalia and Naofumi developed with that as a foundation, with her, by her own volition, choosing to get the slave crest again, even though Naofumi objected to it.

Personally, I see their line of thought, but at the same time, if they are offended from just this, I'd tell them to stay away from Overlord, Berserk, history books and anything related to sadomasochism because it would be too much for those snowflakes.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:53 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Here’s the thing. If people were criticizing storytelling, animation, characters, acting, etc, that would be one thing. But they attacked the show’s morality, that it was “problematic”, and the people who liked it were bad people. That doesn’t work. Ever.

I dunno. It certainly convinced me not to watch it, and I'm surely not the only one. It's true that controversies like this ultimately tend to follow the "no such thing as bad publicity" rule, but both sides contribute to that.

Though, if they were so willing, most of them would probably quit watching it. There's always a weird sort of cognitive dissonance with "problematic" shows where people want to watch it without thinking about any social/moral problems and still claim to be on the right side of those political issues. They claim not to care, but their reactions to the criticisms show they do care, enough to spend ages arguing on the internet... just not enough to admit that their favorite show might be a bit, uh, antiquated, because then they wouldn't be able to enjoy it. Go back a few decades, and critics of a show like this would just be mocked briefly and forgotten. So I guess there's a bit of a silver lining.

Anyway, Symphogear is the other one that got two seasons announced at the same time. Maybe Overlord too, I don't follow that one.

So you're saying you haven't actually watched the series for yourself (and I assume also didn't read the source material either) but can judge why people are offended by it just by hearsay alone? You're not going to convince the fans to outright quit watching something or understand anything when you yourself don't understand anything about the series your criticizing.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:12 am Reply with quote
Did some cleaning up.
1. Cut out the abusive language.
2. Don't reply to trolls. Report them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Echii

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:13 am Reply with quote
Raphtalia is slave just by the name, not in practice. She not being treated like slave at all and noting is being done against her will.

Also, what if Main Character have slave ?? Is the main character supposed to be good guy who always do the "right" thing other all circumstances (like some American super heroes shows) ?? Sound very unrealistic. A lot of people would own slaves if they can do that and they would treat them far worse than what Naofumi did. If you can legally have sex with slave without any risk, many people would do it. People are not good by nature. Let us be honest
Kamiyan3991

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:16 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Crunchyroll’s investment in this show seems to have paid off in spades, despite any negative press they may have received.

Negative outrage by feminists and blue checkmarks are inconsequential to a show's profitability anyway. It's the same deal with Goblin Slayer, feminists and blue checkmarks got triggered after the first episode yet it was unilaterally Crunchyroll's most watched show in the entire US during the Fall 2018 season (in which CR still has the majority of the airing anime).

The show itself was laughably bad tho.
I'm not surprised it got second season since rape stuff attracts attention.

I still feel offended somewhat tho. It's like, you don't need to work on plot, characters etc. Just insert some rape stuff and anime fans will be happy. Gross.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:45 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

The term “problematic” is like “gross” and “cancelled”; non-starters many view in bad faith due to their overuse. When people see them, it no longer becomes a quality argument, it becomes a morality one. And worse, when they see people arguing those points, it’s assumed as confrontational in the same way Peggy Charren wanted violence off cartoons, or Joe Lieberman wanted to restrict the sale of violent video games. It’s no longer about the quality of the show, it’s about people’s rights to watch the show in the first place without moral or political oversight restricting it.

And this has sold games and driven up viewership since forever. Case in point, Mortal Kombat. It being a target interested people who would otherwise be ignorant to it and rallied fans to support it with merchandise sales, views, and recommendations. And this is the end result of that, the show returning for not one, but two more seasons.
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:11 am Reply with quote
AA751 wrote:
Catsplay wrote:

People tend to overestimate how engaged the general populace is with social media and review sites when it comes to anime. You may have seen the controversy but most people just saw the show pop up in the updated episodes section on Crunchyroll. Both the people outraged about the show and the people outraged by the criticism of it are just vocal minorities.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:42 am Reply with quote
My issues with Shield Hero wasn't the controversies, but that it was a show with some great ideas with terrible execution. It had some things to say about propaganda, religion, groupthink, manipulation, morality, the consequences of the careless actions of the rich and powerful, but it never did anything with any of it. The church of the Three Heroes is evil but instead of exploring the religion and how they influence the world they just defeat them in one badly choreographed fight scene. The villains are flat and dull, and everyone either hates the Shield Hero (and those people are always evil and/or stupid) or worshiping the ground he walks on, with no in between. No gray, just a lot of black and white.
The part where I knew I was done was when they spoiler[pretended to kill off two of the more competent heroes, Sword and Bow. I was super excited because it was a complete game changer. Naofumi's life just got ten times harder, he'd have to convince the world to trust in him instead of killing him and re-summoning some new people, and it would force him to work with the other remaining hero, spear. I couldn't wait to see where this twist took us. But nope, it was a fakout death and everyone was fine]. Whee.

I don't think I'll watch the new seasons unless it seriously fixes its issues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5