• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story Anime's 1st Promo Reveals January Delay, Mo

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:

It's really obvious that this is an attempt to revive the dying Madoka franchise. That franchise stopped being relevant years ago. Maybe Aniplex is hoping that it will have a sudden resurgence just like the Fate franchise in mid 2010's.
Rebellion got a mixed to negative reception, and the manga spin offs never really caught on, and they've slowed on making so much Madoka merch constantly, but the original is still well regarded and Madoka along with Psycho Pass pretty much made Gen Urobuchi a household name with anime fans. So while I have my doubts about this sequel, I wouldn't say Madoka is no longer relevant. I think the original still holds up better than any of it's copy cats and there does seem to be some interest in the mobile game.

I didn't say that the original is bad. It's just that Madoka already had its time and they should just put the franchise to rest.

Ashabel wrote:

The point is possibly that Madoka actually had very interesting, very exciting world building that allowed for some really fun content, what's with magical girls lacking any central governance that they do in most other stories and the cuddly mascot character actively wanting them to perish in the most miserable context possible so that others can take their place in a horrible Lovecraftian circle of life, and it really was kind of a shame that all of it was dumpstered in favor of a bargain bin anime version of Milton's Paradise Lost.

Having been playing Magia Record for a month now, it's already done more with the setting in some six chapters and two events than Urobuchi has done in 13 episodes and two movies of runtime.

It's just in the similar vein as the Fate franchise that it's easily expandable. They can just add a million magical girls easily. But that doesn't really make for an interesting world. The whole thing about spoiler[fighting entropy] is just plain BS.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote
I've got mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, I love the fact that they are continuing a title that I really love. OTOH, they set the bar so high with the earlier content that I feel that it's going to be really tough for a sequel or spinoff to maintain that level of quality, and I think that it's likely going to remain in the shadow of the original PMMM. That said, I'm willing to give it a shot, for sure!

I do agree with Jose Cruz that the original PMMM works well as a self-contained show. But then Rebellion came along. It didn't "need" a sequel, but it got one anyway, and the sequel was beyond amazing. I know that many fans felt "betrayed" by Rebellion, but I hold the opposite opinion. I think it is a solid extension of the original TV and all the events in Rebellion were not only logical, but even expected given the world they created. Somehow, despite expectations, Rebellion managed to set the bar even higher--at least in my opinion. I agree with TarsTarkas and would rather see a continuation of Rebellion, but I'm certainly willing to give this a shot too.

I am a bit disappointed to see that Sinbo doesn't have a directorial role though...
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:02 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
But then Rebellion came along. It didn't "need" a sequel, but it got one anyway, and the sequel was beyond amazing. I know that many fans felt "betrayed" by Rebellion, but I hold the opposite opinion. I think it is a solid extension of the original TV and all the events in Rebellion were not only logical, but even expected given the world they created. Somehow, despite expectations, Rebellion managed to set the bar even higher--at least in my opinion.
I'm also with you. Rebellion was amazing, a continuation of the story that also did its own thing, that carried through with threads in ways that in hindsight seem inevitable but were still shocking. And this is from a huge Homura fan, who loved her character in the show and felt gut-punched by the events of the movie. But it all made sense for her character, making the whole thing a beautiful, tragic mess.

I'll consider this spinoff to be a cash-in until proven otherwise, but it's also not like I WON'T watch it. PMMM is probably just my favorite anime, full stop, so I'll always peek in at anything related to it just in case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2