• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan to Change Gasoline Sales Rules in Wake of Kyoto Animation Fire

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:44 am Reply with quote
This is exactly what made the UK a laughing stock. The only thing Japan actually needs to address is their entirely culturally driven near non-existent mental health awareness. Heck they have the one thing that can reduce these instances of crazy induced violence to almost zero which the US doesn't have (Universal healthcare), but it does no good if there's a lack of mental health awareness.
BurgerKing-201

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:47 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
This is exactly what made the UK a laughing stock. The only thing Japan actually needs to address is their entirely culturally driven near non-existent mental health awareness. Heck they have the one thing that can reduce these instances of crazy induced violence to almost zero which the US doesn't have (Universal healthcare), but it does no good if there's a lack of mental health awareness.

It's about as deeply ingrained into Japanese society as gun culture is over here in America.
Amy192

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:48 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

"what made the uk a laughing stock"

We banned guns after one school shooting and it never happened again
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Just, how exactly are they going to implement this for all self-service stations, where you just insert cash or card into a terminal and fill up?

At least here in Finland those outnumber manned stations ten to one, and even manned stations here have those terminals so no actual need to go inside and pay the cashier if you don't want to...

Let me guess, Japan is so old-fashioned there's only manned stations and no self-service?

In Brazil it is not possible to buy gas without filling a car since all gas stations are manned by law and the employees only fill vehicle tanks, although I am not sure what would happen if you went to a gas station and told them you wanted to fill these bottles with gas for a huge barbecue or something. It is harder to buy gas to start a fire (although I think you would just fill a car tank and then take the gas out).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

The vast majority of mass shooters don't have any diagnosable mental illness. It's largely lip service by politicians designed to obfuscate the elephant in the room.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The vast majority of mass shooters don't have any diagnosable mental illness. It's largely lip service by politicians designed to obfuscate the elephant in the room.

It is hard to define when someone has mental illness or not, since mental ilness is not a biological reality but just a categorization of human behavior considered abnormal. If someone plans to kill dozens of strangers and then commit suicide, well, to me that is already mental illness.

Availability of guns does not explain mass shootings since 20 years ago there were virtually no mass shootings in the US and guns were similarly available in the US. I think that the main factor in explaining the rise of mass shootings and killings in general, which is a worldwide thing, is that today more people are aware that they can easily perform those things if they plan it well enough which means mass killings are happening because we are talking about it more now and so more people have this concept in their minds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BurgerKing-201

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
A decline in the standard of living combined with an increase in the cost of living, perhaps? A general feeling of hopelessness and isolation among younger folks?

Note that the number of mass killings in the US has gone up while voter turn-out (especially among young people) has been going down.

That would be my theory at least.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

In Brazil it is not possible to buy gas without filling a car since all gas stations are manned by law and the employees only fill vehicle tanks, although I am not sure what would happen if you went to a gas station and told them you wanted to fill these bottles with gas for a huge barbecue or something. It is harder to buy gas to start a fire (although I think you would just fill a car tank and then take the gas out).

What happens in the situation where you run out of gas and need to fill a container up so you can go back to your car and refill it?
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Putting all the political rhetoric aside about guns in the US which is completely off-topic; I still don't see how collecting ID from anyone filling up gas cans is going to do squat when one consider how many people need to fill up lawn mowers, weed-eaters, chainsaws, leaf blowers, and any other landscape/farming small engine machinery.

This ID checking scheme may work great for someone from Shibuya, but I can't see this making a dent outside of a major city. What about you're average every day townsman living in outside of the city who drives up in a little k-car pickup, fills up two cans of gas everyday for their rice field's harvester, or small farm tractor? Gas station isn't gong to both, the see Farmer-san every day for the past fifty years, and watched their kids grown up, and even grand kids.

Great for those living in comfy downtown, but not everywhere else in Japan. I guess the LDP need to look like they are doing something. Nothing says we did something, but invent new forms of paperwork for everyone.
partially

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
At least here in Finland those outnumber manned stations ten to one, and even manned stations here have those terminals so no actual need to go inside and pay the cashier if you don't want to...

Let me guess, Japan is so old-fashioned there's only manned stations and no self-service?

Great for Finland, but plenty of countries have primarily manned stations only still. Certainly, most countries I have visited have no anywhere near the ratio you indicate for Finland.

That said, this is a fairly non-consequential law that won't really mitigate anything. The ID check hardly helps, as it was not difficult to ID the man in the Kyoto case quickly and easily. The "reasoning" check also does not help. Most clerks are not going to deny a sale and it is pretty easy to come up with reasons. Less so maybe in a Japanese city, but still not hard.

The focus really should have gone into improving building safety...
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Actually, no: narcissism is extremely common among mass shooters, although the data is still pretty limited.

https://www.psypost.org/2017/11/significant-number-mass-shooters-may-aggrieved-narcissists-50227/amp
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Availability of guns does not explain mass shootings since 20 years ago there were virtually no mass shootings in the US and guns were similarly available in the US

History pegs to differ. Also remember the media wasn't as ubiquitous back then as it is today, so reports might have been more scarce.

While the frequency of US shootings has increased in recent years, firearm homicides have halved since two decades ago. So yes, there was a lot of gun deaths back then too...
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:06 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Actually, no: narcissism is extremely common among mass shooters, although the data is still pretty limited.

https://www.psypost.org/2017/11/significant-number-mass-shooters-may-aggrieved-narcissists-50227/amp

Another common thread seems to be domestic violence - quite a large portion seem to have at least been accused of beating wives and/or girlfriends before the final rampage.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
#900545 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Or at least have automatics removed.

Also true for most places and this coming from American. The only reason guns aren't strictly regulated here in the US is because on party is entirely in the hands of NRA whom the two only care about is money. There not even a call to ban all guns, just literally military grade stuff that no civilian should have in the first place. Even just limiting gun purchases to handguns and rifles would be a massive improvement in gun related deaths.

Moreover US states and cities with strong gun laws have very little to no mass shooting compared to places that don't at all. Gun laws work that not up for debate. An not being perfect is not excuse, we have laws against stealing that mean it does not happen, it just make less likely to do so due to consequences.

That aside, I'm glad there is some steps being taken. I don't think it's one-shot panacea, but it's kind of thing that can be adjusted as goes along.
BurgerKing-201

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
#900545 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Or at least have automatics removed.

Also true for most places and this coming from American. The only reason guns aren't strictly regulated here in the US is because on party is entirely in the hands of NRA whom the two only care about is money. There not even a call to ban all guns, just literally military grade stuff that no civilian should have in the first place. Even just limiting gun purchases to handguns and rifles would be a massive improvement in gun related deaths.

Moreover US states and cities with strong gun laws have very little to no mass shooting compared to places that don't at all. Gun laws work that not up for debate. An not being perfect is not excuse, we have laws against stealing that mean it does not happen, it just make less likely to do so due to consequences.

That aside, I'm glad there is some steps being taken. I don't think it's one-shot panacea, but it's kind of thing that can be adjusted as goes along.

Uh... no. That's incredibly misleading. Mass shootings, maybe. But overall gun deaths go to cities and states with strict gun laws, Chicago and California for example.

Civilians don't have easy access to "military grade stuff", fully-automatic weapons are very VERY hard to get your hands on and VERY expensive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3