• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Revolutionary Girl Erica

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:39 am Reply with quote
It's weird to me to see y'all using words like "pain" for something like Utena.

No, it's not flawless representation of exactly who you, personally, are - but it's fiction. Speaking as a bisexual person, I find comfort and warmth in the abstract representation Utena offers, even if it doesn't have characters looking straight into the camera and saying "I am bisexual. You are valid." That's not really how fiction works anyway, and in context, the show was made in the 90s - when Japan's (and America's, and everywhere's) societal attitude toward queer culture was basically paleolithic.

Context always matters with stuff like this - and I think if you have an open heart and an open mind (and, uh, are gay or bisexual) then Utena has much to offer you still, to this day.
yuricon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Context always matters with stuff like this - and I think if you have an open heart and an open mind (and, uh, are gay or bisexual) then Utena has much to offer you still, to this day.

I absolutely agree with this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:40 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind recommending Kannazuki no Miko to anyone looking for a bit more "action" and definitely some "feels" and don't mind a male MC in their yuri.

One of my all time favorite anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3