• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer Is Shueisha's 2nd Highest-Selling Manga After One Piece in 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wewhomustnotbenamed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
wewhomustnotbenamed wrote:
it doesn't made sense. they announced 16 million few weeks ago when they have 3 million before anime started. that alone has 13 million number. unless they overprinting KnY a lot which doesn't made sense with understock rumor everywhere.

I think with the incredible sales for Demon Slayer this year that attempts by websites to estimate the current numbers has led to some exaggerated results. Shueisha though has a lot more information to work with so it should be the most accurate estimate made so far. That Demon Slayer is selling second to One Piece for 2019 is an outstanding achievement.

those are not estimate, BOTH are number announced by shueisha them self in the wrapband of KnY tankubon/series pages in magazine. the last color page in magazine before anime started announced KnY has 3 million sales. the latest tankubon wrap-up within the cut-of is 16 million. actually the latest number is 20 million in color page 3 weeks ago and also there is still more printing last week, so the number STILL rising but they are beyond cut-of.

the math doesn't add up and shueisha had to lie at very least one of them. either on the ranking report or KNY sales report. KnY sales report however in line with oricon data estimate (which put KnY in 12 million, still 1 million gap there).
Thaumana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
My friend traveled to Japan some months ago and told me that he always tried to get his hands on some Nezuko related merch or the first tankoubons but the Kimetsu no Yaiba related stuff was always sold out. He sent me photos from the empty shelves and also witnessed how even Japanese customers were surprised about it.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
A cynical troll I presume?

I mean, there were Yaiba fans insisting it overtook One Piece and was the best selling manga of the year. If new information comes out that says the opposite then it's no surprise One Piece fans would retaliate by rubbing it in their face. It also didn't help that Yaiba fans were peddling the conspiracy theory that Shueisha lied about the sales numbers to protect One Piece and keep it on top.

So no, this is actually stuff people do argue about online.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:11 pm Reply with quote
it doesn't made sense. they announced 16 million few weeks ago when they have 3 million before anime started. that alone has 13 million number. unless they overprinting KnY a lot which doesn't made sense with understock rumor everywhere.

When reading sales totals, but sure to note what it is being counted.

The wording for the 16 million announcement in October 2019 was "シリーズ累計1600万部突破". That would include not just the manga volumes, but also the tie-in works such as the novel adaptation and fanbooks.

The 10.8 million figure in this article is specifically for manga volumes only from November 19, 2018 to November 17, 2019.
wewhomustnotbenamed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:44 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:

The wording for the 16 million announcement in October 2019 was "シリーズ累計1600万部突破". That would include not just the manga volumes, but also the tie-in works such as the novel adaptation and fanbooks.

The 10.8 million figure in this article is specifically for manga volumes only from November 19, 2018 to November 17, 2019.

so 2 novel sell 3 million? that doesn't made sense man. and the one for 20 million 3 weeks ago is for comic book only. and the other one is gotouge one shot which pretty sure doesn't count.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:42 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:

so 2 novel sell 3 million?

The 16 million figure would also include the fanbook and other tie-in publications, such as the comic calendars.

Quote:
and the one for 20 million 3 weeks ago is for comic book only. and the other one is gotouge one shot which pretty sure doesn't count.

The most recent announcement of 25 million in circulation notes this number also includes digital sales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2