• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- [2020-07-13]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
...But can she? Are you suuuuuuuure?

[sic]Her dark magic is supposed to also let her drain and store mana so there's that.[sic]

Indeed, she can. Nice of you to pick up on that. =D

OrdepNM wrote:
*recommendations*

Seriously, thank you! And yes, I can read Japanese. I'd already heard of the short story collections, but I'm not quite sure how to buy them online.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

Seriously, thank you! And yes, I can read Japanese. I'd already heard of the short story collections, but I'm not quite sure how to buy them online.

Say no more,

Digital version

Paperback. Shipping may be a b-word if you're not in Japan tough, but them's the breaks.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Indeed, she can. Nice of you to pick up on that. =D

I was told, no way I could catch on it with the amount of hits the anime gives lol But the bigger being that she can maintain a human force 24/7 without being tethered to anyone and the other one that she once drained Subaru's mana as a greeting.
This girl doesn't need masters or contractors, just batteries.

OrdepNM wrote:
Say no more,

Digital version

Paperback. Shipping may be a b-word if you're not in Japan tough, but them's the breaks.

I was going to say that any country that has EMS or Airmail as an option is good to go... but paper is heavy and it adds up fast.
Is bookwalker region locked like Amazon or is it availiable everywhere?
... crazy to think that in the age of globalization it's books of all things that are getting region locked lately. Capitalism ho.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
...But can she? Are you suuuuuuuure?

Well, she keeps gusting Subaru out, rewriting the spatial parameters of the library and she even fought off Roswaal on her own. Her dark magic is supposed to also let her drain and store mana so there's that.
If it's another case of "spirit can make a mini-pact with no terms and no consent instantly to further their needs", then it might as well be the same as being able to use magic on their own.

You're, Betty & Puck can use magic whether contracted with someone or not. However uncontracted spirits are forced to use mana in environment to do that. The drawback here is that depending on the location and strength of the spirit it can very limiting and that is a problem when mana is also they're lifeblood. i.e there might be too little one place & lot another. Being contracted with a corporeal being who have affinity to connect with them spiritual can provide a regulated stable source of mana so that they don't have worry about regardless of where they are.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:56 pm Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
Say no more

It would've been smarter for me if I had mentioned I refuse to buy from amazon. >x<;;;
That said, I don't like buying digital books, but the bookwalker one is cheap enough that it might be worth buying to hold me over! Thank you!

@Yuvelir:
Just wait until next episode. That's all I'll say. Lol
...assuming they don't cut the scene.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

I was going to say that any country that has EMS or Airmail as an option is good to go... but paper is heavy and it adds up fast.
Is bookwalker region locked like Amazon or is it availiable everywhere?
... crazy to think that in the age of globalization it's books of all things that are getting region locked lately. Capitalism ho.

Bookwalker can have regional restrictions (for example it doesn't let you buy Re:Zero if you're in Malaysia or Singapore, for some reason) but it seems to be more the exception than the norm. I can buy the JP stuff just fine.

I actualy said that without having any idea how much Amazon would charge me to ship a book from Japan. Out of curiosity I checked and for one book, shipped across the world to my doorstep, it'd be 1577 yen. That's kinda steep for a 682 yen book, even with customs clearance thrown in, but not necessarily prohibitively so. Thankfully the price seems to scale down the more items you add. At 3 books it's already asking for less than the cost of the items, so if there's no tax considerations on your end, the way to go would actually be to buy several books at once to bring shipping as low as possible. I'll be sticking with ebooks tough, ty very much.

Juno016 wrote:
It would've been smarter for me if I had mentioned I refuse to buy from amazon. >x<;;;
That said, I don't like buying digital books, but the bookwalker one is cheap enough that it might be worth buying to hold me over! Thank you!

Ah, ic. That does complicate things. I was wondering if at least Rakuten would ship it overseas since they're a more international company but no cigar. You can always use a relay service but that's more overhead costs youre adding, specially when the books are fairly cheap as you said.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I found the entire Betty/Subaru part of the episode quite moving as well. I would say though that it wouldn't have been less effective if it had been a bit less repetitive and trimmed down.

Ohm_0_ wrote:
Subaru's final quote about Beatrice always waiting at the door was a great end note for the argument.

That line was great and an excellent point that I didn't realize until he said it.

NeverConvex wrote:
Key wrote:
Think you're both missing my point here. I am agreeing that it makes sense. I am just pointing out that, without book knowledge, it's not so clear that him appearing at the Sanctuary with Betty means that he has officially become a Spirit Art Mage.

Yeah, this wasn't at all clear to me until I read the past page or two of this thread.

Same.

I presume that would come up next week...?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:14 am Reply with quote
Ohm_0_ wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
My impression of Ep24- Well that was easy...
That is quite the gross oversimplification... I really think you are being quite nitpicky here.
Maybe put another way, consider S1 and the number of episodes that involved defeating the Great Whale and the Betelgeuse Witch Cult. Are the Elsa/Mabeast/Meili combo or Roswaal likely to be any less difficult to defeat than either of the former? Further, seeing Ep49 sets up the Great Rabbit battle, do you suppose it will take more than Ep50 to resolve?

I'd bet not and that is my "complaint". Rather than spending the last 24 episodes on those battles in stages, we have 13 episodes "farting around" with the witches and being in the sanctuary, six episodes going through various backstories and still being in the sanctuary and four major developments/battles accomplished in just the last three. Further, they occur in a manner that strikes me as very simplistic "one and done" solutions and dealing with Elsa all the more frustrating (?) as it took three episodes fully devoted to defeating her the first time. This time, Subaru just learns two things as ancillary details during two episodes and that is enough.

Also, how Subaru, Emilia and Garf pass their respective trials seems dealt with in a similar cursory manner. Again, since these were supposed to be so traumatic that failing just the one drove Emila insane eventually and Garf needed to be thrashed into submission to get him to retry it, they seemingly "breeze" through them afterwards. Subaru passes his with such ease that it seems like no "trial" at all. The writing seems very inconsistent in the treatment and left me feeling like they were making a big deal about very little in the end.

On an unrelated note, I am beginning to think Subaru is going "poly". Hope Emilia will be OK with Ram, Betty and Petra (and vice-versa)...
Seagloom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:39 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

It would've been smarter for me if I had mentioned I refuse to buy from amazon. >x<;;;.

CDJapan is an alternative to Amazon for physical copies. Shipping options have been limited during the pandemic, however, and can be quite expensive depending on your region.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:47 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Maybe put another way, consider S1 and the number of episodes that involved defeating the Great Whale and the Betelgeuse Witch Cult. Are the Elsa/Mabeast/Meili combo or Roswaal likely to be any less difficult to defeat than either of the former? Further, seeing Ep49 sets up the Great Rabbit battle, do you suppose it will take more than Ep50 to resolve?

The White Whale was killed in a hour and Petelgeuse died who bunch times and only last as long as he did because eh possession even then didn't even take half a day. Going by your very own logic a long it shouldn't taken 14 episodes to defeat them either. This not even get to other part of your ridiculous stance that assumes that time has anything to do villain has anything to do with how strong a villain is. So this point makes no sense. Besides here was more going in the end half of S1 and S2 than just fighting Geuse and the Whale which why they took as long as they did.

For that matter even the final loop confronting Roswaal, Elsa, Meili & Great Rabbit whom manipulated the cast anxieties for their own ends, led to their current home get burned to ground, Ram on the verge of death, Subaru, Betty and Garf himself nearly dying. Not mention Emilia barely holding off rabbits in blinding snowstorm that is about to freeze her. Subaru had a way easier time in Arc 3 final loop on comparison..

Quote:
I'd bet not and that is my "complaint". Rather than spending the last 24 episodes on those battles in stages, we have 13 episodes "farting around" with the witches and being in the sanctuary, six episodes going through various backstories and still being in the sanctuary and four major developments/battles accomplished in just the last three. Further, they occur in a manner that strikes me as very simplistic "one and done" solutions and dealing with Elsa all the more frustrating (?) as it took three episodes fully devoted to defeating her the first time. This time, Subaru just learns two things as ancillary details during two episodes and that is enough.

The thing you call "farting around" is called character development, investigations and build up. Re:Zero arcs operate general with the idea that Subaru is drawn into a situation he needs spend several loops which varies in each arc depending how complex & layered the problem is to learn the circumstances behind a future incident that occurs. He "only" comes to understand what is going and what needed overcome these problems by that process. Otherwise certain disasters happen because because none of people involved are the wiser truth and they own issues going in the middle of it. Just because he succeeds on the last loop doesn't invalidate the efforts he everyone it took to get there. That's like saying best track athletes were born good and didn't train their asses of to achieve their accolades. These series of episode starting going right did just happen do.

Quote:
Also, how Subaru, Emilia and Garf pass their respective trials seems dealt with in a similar cursory manner. Again, since these were supposed to be so traumatic that failing just the one drove Emila insane eventually and Garf needed to be thrashed into submission to get him to retry it, they seemingly "breeze" through them afterwards. Subaru passes his with such ease that it seems like no "trial" at all. The writing seems very inconsistent in the treatment and left me feeling like they were making a big deal about very little in the end.

Now just contradicting yourself. You just pointed out why it took half season to get here and the character were in fact struggling with their personal problems. There was more than just fighting Roswaal going on who isn't even revealed to be the mastermind until ep 11!

The cast has their own issues going on within the larger plot but becasue those issues are connected to main conflict so they needed to be addressed too for things to come resolution and that required Subaru learn about them as he tried to come his own grips with regards everything that is happening.

Like on top of Emilia being unable to clearly remember her own past to begin with because she had her memories tampered with by Pandora and later sealed away by Puck where the main reason she past the first trial. What she just saw instead were nightmares that had the elves cursing her for something she had no idea she had done. When her true past was finally unveiled to her wasn't better because she saw exactly how she lost her loves and her home and the part she played in bring that about. That's where she understood deep sense of guilt she always felt when she lived in Elior Forest. She overcome that yes was finally able to grieve but that literally took a century for that to happen, and only after literally having an intense emotional argument with Subaru prior to it who helped her come to some terms with her existential crisis. Emilia even explains that is because she has the support everyone now that she felt wasn't alone or abandoned. That she could face the trials now because Subaru's & others given her emotional strength to face her scars.

It is the same with Garf whom already went through the first trial as kid which where his trauma developed by what he saw. Episode 42 explained directly why & how shaped his worldview and how it caused the problems it did in episode 1-13. It took Subaru fighting him to exhaustion and Ram coax for him to go back face his old wounds again and see if he might feel different now after accepting some of what Subaru was trying to tell him.

The point wasn't Emilia & Garf go in to the trials struggle and fail the umpteenth time. The point of setup beforehand was strengthen their resolve to bear witness to things they didn't want to experience again for the sake everyone and themselves so they not runaway from them! If they didn't they would have failed again.

This was a similar process Subaru himself went through so he could face his up to his problems in S1 he had spent more than half of it running from..

The story doesn't trivialize any of this at all, but you definitely are for disingenuous reasons. You could have learned this by going back and rewatching the previous episodes instead of just ignoring all setup when it absolute crucial start to the closure for Emilia & Garf histories. Especially walked up to Echidna with much more confidence.

Quote:
On an unrelated note, I am beginning to think Subaru is going "poly". Hope Emilia will be OK with Ram, Betty and Petra (and vice-versa)...

There is also no basis for this either. I especially don't know how you could include Ram in that given the last two episodes or the entirety of series up to this point. You seem to think Subaru isekai MC so he must have a harem. I'm surprised you didn't throw in Frederica while you at it
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:22 am Reply with quote
The author actually wrote a what if where Subaru goes for the "harem ending", aptly named "Lust If"... And then he disliked it so much that he deleted it altogheter. I really don't think thr harem ending is in the cards lol.

Or well, I dont need to look that deep into it when the author himself says there won't be a Subaru Harem at the end. [/url]
Ohm_0_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:53 am Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

The White Whale was killed in a hour and Petelgeuse died who bunch times and only last as long as he did because eh possession even then didn't even take half a day. Going by your very own logic a long it shouldn't taken 14 episodes to defeat them either. This not even get to other part of your ridiculous stance that assumes that time has anything to do villain has anything to do with how strong a villain is. So this point makes no sense. Besides here was more going in the end half of S1 and S2 than just fighting Geuse and the Whale which why they took as long as they did.

For that matter even the final loop confronting Roswaal, Elsa, Meili & Great Rabbit whom manipulated the cast anxieties for their own ends, led to their current home get burned to ground, Ram on the verge of death, Subaru, Betty and Garf himself nearly dying. Not mention Emilia barely holding off rabbits in blinding snowstorm that is about to freeze her. Subaru had a way easier time in Arc 3 final loop on comparison..

Quote:

The thing you call "farting around" is called character development, investigations and build up. Re:Zero arcs operate general with the idea that Subaru is drawn into a situation he needs spend several loops which varies in each arc depending how complex & layered the problem is to learn the circumstances behind a future incident that occurs. He "only" comes to understand what is going and what needed overcome these problems by that process. Otherwise certain disasters happen because because none of people involved are the wiser truth and they own issues going in the middle of it. Just because he succeeds on the last loop doesn't invalidate the efforts he everyone it took to get there. That's like saying best track athletes were born good and didn't train their asses of to achieve their accolades. These series of episode starting going right did just happen do.

Quote:

Now just contradicting yourself. You just pointed out why it took half season to get here and the character were in fact struggling with their personal problems. There was more than just fighting Roswaal going on who isn't even revealed to be the mastermind until ep 11!

The cast has their own issues going on within the larger plot but becasue those issues are connected to main conflict so they needed to be addressed too for things to come resolution and that required Subaru learn about them as he tried to come his own grips with regards everything that is happening.

Like on top of Emilia being unable to clearly remember her own past to begin with because she had her memories tampered with by Pandora and later sealed away by Puck where the main reason she past the first trial. What she just saw instead were nightmares that had the elves cursing her for something she had no idea she had done. When her true past was finally unveiled to her wasn't better because she saw exactly how she lost her loves and her home and the part she played in bring that about. That's where she understood deep sense of guilt she always felt when she lived in Elior Forest. She overcome that yes was finally able to grieve but that literally took a century for that to happen, and only after literally having an intense emotional argument with Subaru prior to it who helped her come to some terms with her existential crisis. Emilia even explains that is because she has the support everyone now that she felt wasn't alone or abandoned. That she could face the trials now because Subaru's & others given her emotional strength to face her scars.

It is the same with Garf whom already went through the first trial as kid which where his trauma developed by what he saw. Episode 42 explained directly why & how shaped his worldview and how it caused the problems it did in episode 1-13. It took Subaru fighting him to exhaustion and Ram coax for him to go back face his old wounds again and see if he might feel different now after accepting some of what Subaru was trying to tell him.

The point wasn't Emilia & Garf go in to the trials struggle and fail the umpteenth time. The point of setup beforehand was strengthen their resolve to bear witness to things they didn't want to experience again for the sake everyone and themselves so they not runaway from them! If they didn't they would have failed again.

This was a similar process Subaru himself went through so he could face his up to his problems in S1 he had spent more than half of it running from..

The story doesn't trivialize any of this at all, but you definitely are for disingenuous reasons. You could have learned this by going back and rewatching the previous episodes instead of just ignoring all setup when it absolute crucial start to the closure for Emilia & Garf histories. Especially walked up to Echidna with much more confidence.

Quote:

There is also no basis for this either. I especially don't know how you could include Ram in that given the last two episodes or the entirety of series up to this point. You seem to think Subaru isekai MC so he must have a harem. I'm surprised you didn't throw in Frederica while you at it

Huh. You explained it far better than I could. Good job
Showsni

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:29 pm Reply with quote
A reminder to anyone who hasn't been doing so to watch the shorts that come out with each episode; the most recent one features some insight into Elsa and Meili, setting something up that might have a payoff down the line.

Been meaning to ask (or maybe I already did and forgot the answer), is cutting two Ryuzus something the light novel did? I've only read the web novel, which has four Ryuzus switching back and forth rather than the two in the anime.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
A reminder to anyone who hasn't been doing so to watch the shorts that come out with each episode; the most recent one features some insight into Elsa and Meili, setting something up that might have a payoff down the line.

Been meaning to ask (or maybe I already did and forgot the answer), is cutting two Ryuzus something the light novel did? I've only read the web novel, which has four Ryuzus switching back and forth rather than the two in the anime.

There are four in both the anime and the LN. The thing is, Alma, Bilma and Delma are never together in the same scene. Being clones made of magic (with an actual personality instead of being mindless drones), they consume mana simply by living, so they need to rest periodically to avoid running out and dying. Thus, they switch places with each other so that only one is active at a time. Shima used to be part of it too, but she changed her opinion about their mission and the sanctuary after seeing the memories of the original Ryuzu and so she was separated from the main group.

This WAS explained in the anime, if that’s what you were asking, way back in the first half of season 2. The only thing the anime doesn’t explain is who the current Ryuzu is (it’s Delma), but this is hardly relevant since the three are interchangeable. In short, there are four of them in either version of the story, but we only get to see two at most at any given time, not counting the army of copies with no personality.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:17 pm Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
The only thing the anime doesn’t explain is who the current Ryuzu is (it’s Delma),

I actualy got into a discussion with this the other day. We know for sure the Ryuzu in the first night at the Sanctuary was Bilma (episode... 5 I think?) and the one in the morning after was Alma (1st ep of 2nd cour). We're also told that for the Ryuzus it would be impossible to operate for a full day - which we see in Shima, who apparently had a late night chat with Subaru and was in dire straits by nightfall, so I'd say they likely do 12h stints and switch around midnight/high noon. That would mean:

First day, night: Bilma (confirmed by herself)
Second day, morning: Alma (confirmed by herself)
Second day, afternoon/night: Delma (doesn't appear since that's when Puck breaks the contract and we don't really leave Emilia's room)
Third day, morning: Bilma (doesn't appear, that's when Subar/Otto/Ram fight Garfiel)
Third day, afternoon/night: Alma (is the one who helps Shima to the Tomb entrance)

Depending on wether Emilia finished the trials before or after nightfall, the one we saw at the replication facility could be Alma or Delma, tough I'm also leaning towards Delma since it would explain why Ryuzu left the Tomb entrance while the Sanctuary residents were all there waiting for Emilia (she needed to switch). Ultimately it's not a big deal but it's fun to think about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 45 of 47