• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: AT&T Offers Crunchyroll to Sony for US$1.5 Billion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:00 pm Reply with quote
AT&T is currently 150 billion $ in the red. Look up what is going with their DC comics right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:19 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

AT&T is currently 150 billion $ in the red. Look up what is going with their DC comics right.

Yep. Those debts carry interest that they have to pay, so the company said in its last earnings report that paying down debt remains a top priority

Quote:
The company's communications, broadband and enterprise businesses continue to drive revenue (and account for more than 60 percent of AT&T's total revenue) and incoming CEO John Stankey told analysts on the company's last earnings call "they also provide a foundation that can absorb pressure from the other parts of the business that are facing headwinds because of COVID-19." That includes AT&T's media business. WarnerMedia and DirecTV have been severely impacted by the pandemic, with advertising declines, cord-cutting, shuttered movie theaters and the shutdown of essentially all TV and film productions.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:56 pm Reply with quote
If Crunchyroll gets sold does that mean the original series they've been doing also get canceled? How does that work exactly.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:39 pm Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
If Crunchyroll gets sold does that mean the original series they've been doing also get canceled? How does that work exactly.

If CR has already announced them, those productions are almost certainly already paid for and are underway, if not already completely and waiting to be released. If the company is sold, it would be any future/hypothetical productions that would be questionable, as it would likely decide on what the executives of the new corporation/conglomerate want to do moving forward.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:40 pm Reply with quote
If Crunchyroll hasn’t done so itself already, I’m pretty sure whatever buyer they get will probably lock FreakAngels in a vault never to emerge again.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:

When a business gets sold, it continues exactly as it did before - only with new owners. The new owners may choose to shake things up, but they're going to be constrained by any contracts that were already signed.

So, any production that's already signed for will probably continue unless the new owners want to take the financial and reputation hits. Future productions? There's no way to predict.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5