• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, J.C. Staff Co-produce Sing a Bit of Harmony Original Anime Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:16 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Lin Liren wrote:
Oh boy... In spite of being produced by JC Staff (famous for the delightfully adorable/hilarious/sexy fanservice of Index/Railgun)
Not to mention, J.C. Staff is "infamous" for not-so-quality animation of One Punch Man season 2.

which is all pushed out by shueisha and bandai in the first as the higher ups of the production committee and JC weren't in the production committee so it wasn't their fault.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:11 pm Reply with quote
The real issue with Funimation's involvement is their track record of backing stinkers.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:19 am Reply with quote
Lin Liren wrote:
Oh boy... In spite of being produced by JC Staff (famous for the delightfully adorable/hilarious/sexy fanservice of Index/Railgun) You can already see the Funimation Influence in the designs of the girls:

Namely, conservatively long skirts and baggy oversized shirts to better de-emphasize their legs and bust sizes. The better to NOT scare off investors and distributors in conservative countries.

It seems Amazon and Australia's recent sledgehammer-ban on any Anime/Manga/Light-Novel with remotely sexy female characters have scared Funimation into complying with conservative values, the better to distribute nominally Japanese Anime without the red tape of "moral" outrage getting in the way.

What better way to not have red tape to cross at all, if they just pre-emptively make "Anime" palatable to the values of said conservatives, who have nothing better to do with their lives than to judge other countries for trying to share their culture with the West.

Oh this cannot bode well for Freedom of Artistic Expression for Anime/Manga/Light-Novels in the future.... Sad

"Oh no, a mainstream-oriented show with female characters I don't find sexy!!! Sad Sad Sad Anime is ruined, WHAT ABOUT FREEDOM OF ARTISTIC EXPRESSION!!!"
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:13 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
The real issue with Funimation's involvement is their track record of backing stinkers.

I was going to say those Dragon Age and Mass Effect films years ago but that was probably more Bioware's fault than Funimation.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:28 am Reply with quote
^There was also Dimension W...
IamBatman20

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:17 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the word "Harmony" I thought it was going to be an adaptation on one of Yasuhiro's earlier works, Harmonie. Sadly, it is not.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry about Funimation or JC Staff, I say. Have faith in Yasuhiro Yoshiura as director. With he and Ichiro Okouchi writing the screenplay it'll be clever and with some surprises. I kind of wish Yoshiura would stick to sci-fi themes, but I'm still looking forward to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kpossibles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Funimation is co-producing so they can get a dub of the movie out faster instead of dealing with licensing stuff after the movie is out in Japan.

Super excited to see Kanna Kii's character designs! I was wondering why the art style looked so familiar Smile
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
Don't worry about Funimation or JC Staff, I say. Have faith in Yasuhiro Yoshiura as director.

I dunno what in the world this controversy over the former is about, but the latter is what I'm most uncertain of here. I did like Patema, but Time of Eve was... I don't even know. So bad it's good, maybe; a meme machine. At least we can be sure it won't be boring?

Also laughing at that incredibly vague one-sentence description. "A new transfer student interested in her surroundings?" What is she, a cat?

From that and the trailer, the whole plot seems to be just "genki girl teaches her class how to fun," which would be a nice escape from the great 2020 apocalypse but otherwise doesn't sound that interesting. I'm biased against this, though, because it superficially resembles Anthem of the Heart (my favorite anime movie) but has no obvious thematic depth and a psychologically-reversed protagonist. So... it's probably better than I'm expecting, but no way am I getting my hopes up for it.
Akemi Tachibana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:29 am Reply with quote
Funimation co-producing something that isn't some boring nonsensical action anime? REMARKABLE!
Valjean Lafitte

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:55 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
And I suppose the superflat art style seen in movies like Walk on Girl were done to also not ruffle the Shonen Jump Weekly boogiemen. Different animation studios and creators at the end but the point still stands. Not all anime have sexy girls or revealing skirts up the wazoo.

Re-read their post. They're complaining about "conservative boogiemen".

Yeah, not to make things too political, but that's what struck me as being really odd about that post. There may have been some conservative moral outrage in Australia over fanservicey anime, but by far and large whenever there's a big stink about female character designs on Twitter (e.g. the recent Uzaki-chan kerfluffle) the bad actors involved wouldn't exactly identify as conservatives.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3