• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:49 am Reply with quote
I'd call "filler" any episode which adds nothing to the story or the characters or you can exchange one with other without any problem.

So far, Hanyo ... is 3/4 filler, 1/4 story... something. We're in episode 7 and the main story hasn't barely advanced.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:20 am Reply with quote
I get that Yashahime is in a tricky position since it is essentially an "original" anime that doesn't have a manga to adapt from. Though it does make you wonder what the writers' overall goal for this story besides mining nostalgia. Of course the true success of Yashahime will probably be determined by TV ratings, merchandise, and what ever metrics they use for "general audience" anime shows found at this timeslot.

The one thing that worries me is more the macro scale of this. There's really, REALLY rarely action, adventure anime starring female leads that occupies the primetime slot especially ones adapted from general audience weekly manga like Shounen Jump or Shounen Sunday. So I feel there's going to be a set back of those kinds of shows if Yashahime doesn't perform to their expectations. Granted if the overall story blows, well, that's all on them for producing something mediocre.
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Someone in the production crew give this poor reviewer the cliffsnotes already so he can get on with his life.
It all boils down to "plot not fast enough, me angry", lord knows he'd be rattling the monkey cage if he had to review Inuyasha week to week to week.
Miroku and Naraku weren't even introduced until episode 16, and Sango 24.
I can see it now "who even is this lame monkey guy? We're 16 episodes in and JUST NOW we have a hint of a main villain? two stars!"
Perhaps, like the original series, the whole will eventually be better than it's individual parts; which, depending on how long they decide to milk this new series, might be a long eventuality.
On that note, the show is enjoying fantastic tv ratings, so I think it'll run for some time.
Hopefully not too long though, because even I get fatigued around the 50-100 episode range.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Roadwarior2 wrote:
Someone in the production crew give this poor reviewer the cliffsnotes already so he can get on with his life.
It all boils down to "plot not fast enough, me angry", lord knows he'd be rattling the monkey cage if he had to review Inuyasha week to week to week.
I can see it now "who even is this lame monkey guy? We're 16 episodes in and JUST NOW we have a hint of a main villain? two stars!"
Perhaps, like the original series, the whole will eventually be better than it's individual parts; which, depending on how long they decide to milk this new series, might be a long eventuality.
On that note, the show is enjoying fantastic tv ratings, so I think it'll run for some time.
Hopefully not too long though, because even I get fatigued around the 50-100 episode range.

The first 7 episode of inuyasha felt they were going way faster than this because important stuff was actually happening. By episode 7 Tetsusaiga was introduced, the relationship between Inuyasha Kagome and Kikyo was unfolding naturally and Sesshomaru was becoming involved, by delaying introducing other character the show could properly establish the character giving a real sense of progression. More importantly characters would naturally follow up on event happenings.

Yashahime just introduce events and then refuse to addressee them, instead it just meander from one event to another without making much of the events or tying them in an overall narrative. The tree tries to establish some sort of overall plot, but all the girls just ignore it in favour of their own personal quest, which could work if those quests were established and feed into each others. But they're not, Towa is focused on the butterflies but neither the other girl even care about that (and the show didn't bother introducing a reason for the audience to care about it either. Setsuna has literally no goal at this point, she just kill demon, mostly off camera. Moroha is dealing with her debts, which we have no idea how she got and what happen is she doesn't pay back (because neither of the other girl even bother asking basic questions). And none of them seems to give one lick of care about their missing parents. The show just constantly dodge natural question that would arise in favour of monster of week stuff that doesn't progress the story.

There would be a much stronger feeling of progression if the show introduced 2-3 plot line and naturally followed up on them (eg. Inuyasha heritage, his relationship with Kikyo/Kagome, the pearl) rather than a bunch that don't progress(eg the girl missing parents, the new pearls, the new super demon, the butterflies, the debt, the tree, the pirate guy) while also dolling out filler. It's like watching the Olympic coverage where they start covering one sport by talking about the rule and the participant, but the moment the competition is about to start they cut to another sports and and again just to cover the basic before jumping to another sport and you end up not seeing any actual events except for some random stock footage here and there.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I have a question:

How much time have the girls been into the past?

Bananas go bad really fast, the fact that they look perfectly yellow on this episode does not compute.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Roadwarior2 wrote:

As others have pointed out, by the 7th episode of Inuyasha we'd gotten a lot of backstory and a clear-cut plot, which was "Whoopsie-doodle we just shattered a super powerful jewel. Now we have to traverse the lands fighting monsters to get them back!" Inuyasha and Kagome have a singular goal of getting the whole jewel back, and thus a reason to work together, and they had good chemistry, and the story also has that lovely Rumiko Takahashi wit that kept you chuckling even when the story slows down.

Yashahime, we still don't know the plot, why these girls are travelling together, the writing is bone-dry, and nobody acts like real humans. Hey your parents are missing WHY ARE YOU NOT ASKING WHY?

It's enjoying great ratings because the many fans of Inuyasha are tuning in. And unless they fix the show's writing those ratings are gonna soon take a nosedive. I want this show to work, but it has some serious issues and they really need to fix.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:40 am Reply with quote
Yes Inuaysha didn’t have all its plot points established by episode 7 but it never bored me which is exactly what I am feeling with Yashahime. It’s a shame because I like the 3 main characters but the series just feels very pedestrian so far. I can’t even say it feels like fanfiction because most fanfiction would be more exciting than this. It honestly feels like forgettable filler episodes.
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Roadwarior2 wrote:

First the show's ratings are due to it's time slot it airs right before Detective Conan in one of the safest time slots you can have you would have to put something awful to fail in that slot.

Second this is a 26 episode anime not directly based on a long running manga or light novel. So the fact that nearly a third of the way in nothing is really happening is not a good sign unless it's the typical rushed last 3 episodes of 26 episode anime from the late 90's - early 2000 rebooted.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
So once again the show firmly establishes that having her dream eaten by the butterflies is an awesome things that happened to Setsuna and literally saved her life this week. I'd call it a good example of showing not telling... except the show is trying to establish that, actually, having her dread eaten is a terrible thing and Trowa literally made it her mission in life to reverse this. Rolling Eyes

Oh and once again the show is trying to push Trowa as the super awesome main character at the expanse of everyone else. Setsuna is immune to the dream effect, making it so she can move around, still has her demon power and the bad guys couldn't peak at her dream to find her weakness. Moroha lost her demon power, but she could easily fake being powerless to let the demon lower her guard and then use her completely unaffected spirit arrow power. Trowa as nothing that could be useful here, so obviously she's the one who does everything and land the killing blow. First she need to absorb some demon power from Moroha, who just had all her power absorbed but actually still has them, then she need to do a reverse absorb of demon power, for some reason. And then she pull out a super technique from her ass, her second and something she absolutely didn't earn.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I really like Towa and Setsuna's relationship. I was estranged from my sister at a young age and we only got to know each other as adults. So I can strongly relate to Towa's desire to reconnect with her sister. It really hurts to be separated from your family. And I feel this story is ultimately going to about broken families getting back together.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
This is starting to feel like The Force Awakens as it feels whoever wrote this is afraid of mcs being so unpopular that the old cast were completely removed as they are far more iconic
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Are people forgetting just how slow in both plot and character development and advancement, the original Inuyasha could be? If anything, Yashhime is faithfully following it's forefather series' footsteps. Not that it is a good thing but it really shouldn't be all that surprising.

Last edited by Zeino on Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Roadwarior2 wrote:
Really enjoyed episodes 5 and 6, I really feel like this show's hitting it's stride now that the girls are on the road slaying demons and saving villagers.
Next episode we get to meet Towa's love interest, Riku or as I've started calling him Japanese Jack Sparrow. He's apparently being voiced by Lelouch's VA, so that's cool.

wait. i watched all the eps so far and there haven't been a slight hint that towa have a crush let alone got a love interest for riku! considering how much of a tomboy she is and how much she always have looked up to kagome's brother, you would think that she would fall for someone whose the same persona as him, OR they might have her go down the legend of korra route when it comes to that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I keep coming back to Minos_Kurumada’s plot fix suggestion, which is so simple but would work really well:
Quote:

What bothers me is the fact that most problems have an easy solution in this scenario, the girls lack a common goal and have no reason to stick together, so:

1- Make the Dream Butterfly a highly priced monster, that way Moroha has a reason to stick with the other 2.
2- Make Setsuna want to get her sleep back, because as far as I see it she is right on the fact that not having to sleep with 0 secondary effects its supper convenient, so, give her side effect.
3- Towa is fine as she is, just show her training with the demon hunters at the back ground, it doesn't need to be Hero Academia showing Deku train all the time.
4- Don't mention their parent at all and concentrate in getting the butterfly.
5- Make the Demon trader promise them to use his intelligence network to find the butterfly if they make jobs for him.

This could have been done in 10 minutes tops in the first 4 episodes granting the girls a common goal and a reason to stick together.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Could there have been a chance that the dreams the girls had were fake ones? Like they checked out their biggest fears and made them dreams? Because what got my goat was that here's Sesshomaru, having gone through so much character development and all, and they make him a villain all over again and Moroha's dream is basically sealing the deal on him.

That in itself could make her tense near her cousins...their dad responsible for her parents' disappearance. If that's the case and the dreams weren't false.

But I do agree, Miroku not saying much does take on a new meaning now. It's sad with Kirby gone, the show won't be the same dubbed. But in his memory, we should press on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 29