• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:22 am Reply with quote
I'm glad she found rice. Her reaction in the storehouse was funny. I'm surprised we didn't get a whole round of everyone foodgasming over the dinner. But did Aira eat a teaspoon of miso straight and say "yum!"?? Isn't that kinda like sipping soy sauce right out of the bottle? >.<

Of course the question is how are all these Japanese foods available in this world at all? Did some past wizard summon food? Is there a doorway like in Restaurant to Another World?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:53 pm Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti

It has already been noted that most of the herbs used in potions are the same plants that grow in our world. Likely rice and soy beans also grow where the climate is right. The presence of soy beans indicates the likely hood that tofu, soy sauce and miso would be invented. Zaidara is most likely the Japan of her new world.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I think I took that to mean they were close analogs of Earth plants, not the actual same species of plants. But if they are the very same plants, then the question is still how did they get there, not that the people in this world found same/similar uses for them. I mean, you could argue where did the people come from then, but the people here are not quite the same as those on Earth, since they have magic and all. That Sei and Aira have magic might have to do with the summoning itself rather than their being just like the people in this world. I don't expect the series to ever elaborate on it though.

Edjwald wrote:
I'm still not sure how we're going to get from where we are currently to that seasoning opening sequence with a dragon

I was under the impression that that's already happened, back when she was out clearing out miasmas and monsters with the troops. Sort of a transition from where we left off last season and her newfound free time now. But I could be wrong. Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:01 am Reply with quote
The plants have the same medicinal properties, the same taste and the same smell. It doesn't really matter if they are the same or analogs if Sei can't tell the difference. Sei's ability to join the research facility was due to her already knowing a great deal about herbs, just not the magic part.

The undead dragon is rather in the future of the novel chronology. The encounter with it likely indicates when in that chronology this season will end.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:34 am Reply with quote
It something I suspend my disbelief for, until the narrative draws attention to it, but it isn't like these are at all different types of food from Sei's old staple items. And while I'll buy that this new country has a similar environment to Japan, and thus produces similar crops, the fact that the names for the various crops and foods are the same is a bit much.

Normally, details like this are the sorts of things I'll just politely ignore in a work of fiction. But the show put it in the spotlight, so looking the other way is more difficult. So I hope there is some kind of explanation for the identical foodstuffs.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The undead dragon is rather in the future of the novel chronology. The encounter with it likely indicates when in that chronology this season will end.

And here I was planning to remain silent about it until events proved Gina wrong, then start making fun...wait...am I typing this out loud?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:45 pm Reply with quote
@b-dragon

If it is the names that bother you there is an explanation. The summoning gave Sei (and Aria) a translation ability for all languages in this world. The anime hasn't pushed it but she is able to read books in the library in the ancient language of the country that Liz can only make out with difficulty because of this. She was also able to converse with the sea captain in his native language. The food stuffs do not have the same name, but Sei hears the Japanese equivalent. If you think about it, Sei and Aria would not have understood the palace officials immediately on arrival if this ability was not present.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I must say I was a bit disappointed at the second episode. I realize that there is a lot of source material to draw from (Chapters 3 & 4 of the web novel) and only 12 episodes to tell it in, but the visit to the sea port took 6 episodes in the web novel and they shrunk it down to half an episode on TV. There was a lot of stuff that was left out or changed that has consequences later on. Sei met the captain in a different manner and has been pointed out in this forum, she was the only one that could understand him because of her saintly power of translation.

Also, in a behind the scenes web novel episode, there was information revealed that is useful to know for now and in the future. spoiler[ It was the King and the Prime Minister that set up Sei's company. Both Oscar and Franz are merchants but they also are Intelligence Officers working for the King assigned to watch and protect the Saint. That is why Oscar met them at Morganhaffen. ] As for the undead dragon, that takes place later. https://ncode.syosetu.com/n8139dg/
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Alan45 wrote:

And here I was planning to remain silent about it until events proved Gina wrong, then start making fun...wait...am I typing this out loud?

Yeah ok. Razz But was there anything in that opening sequence to actually indicate that it was a flash forward (besides the cliffhanger ending, I guess)? Cause I sure didn't see it (not that that means anything Smile). I mean, they jumped from that to her thinking it'd been 3 months since they returned and they'd been sent on various missions to purify miasmas and dispatch monsters. How could you tell that wasn't one of those missions?
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@b-dragon

If it is the names that bother you there is an explanation. The summoning gave Sei (and Aria) a translation ability for all languages in this world. The anime hasn't pushed it but she is able to read books in the library in the ancient language of the country that Liz can only make out with difficulty because of this. She was also able to converse with the sea captain in his native language. The food stuffs do not have the same name, but Sei hears the Japanese equivalent. If you think about it, Sei and Aria would not have understood the palace officials immediately on arrival if this ability was not present.

Thats... not really it. The names do bother me, yes. But they are symptom, not cause, of the underlying irritant. It's that everything is the same- the names, the ingredients, the prepared items (like miso.) Not substitutes. Not "this is basically rice/miso/etc." If we take Sei at her word- and why wouldn't we?- these are exactly the same. Taken together, and brought attention to by the plot (because, again, in most shows I consider it polite to ignore that the food is exactly identical across worlds,) it strains the fiction. Its layered contrivances, each existing purely for the writer's convenience, each compounding the needed suspension of disbelief. Which is fine, generally. But this plot line weirdly puts a spotlight on ugly seams in the worldbuilding as its matter of priority. It's certainly a choice.

Now, I'll freely admit that most aren't going to be as bothered by this as I. And I can think of at least one way that it can all be handwaved via the show's internal logic- though I doubt it will go the route that occurs to me. Anyway, feel free to ignore my grousing.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:46 am Reply with quote
@b-dragon

If that bothers you there is nothing to be done. I'm pretty sure the author had no intention of changing the world, just adding her story on top of what we have. The food being the same is actually an important part of the story.

An important theme omitted from the first season is that Sei hated the food she was given (to the point of losing weight) because it was unseasoned, no herbs or spices used. She has the palace construct a kitchen at the institute and takes up cooking and begins the revolution of food in Salutania. If the food was different, that would not be possible. spoiler[There will be a lot of that this season or they will be omitting large parts of the next couple of volumes.]
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Alan45, it was actually in the second episode of season 1 when Sei at least said, in a non-verbal way, that the reason for the kitchen was that "the food here is terrible".
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Sorry, the author said in one of the afterwards to the novels that this was intended to be something to unwind to after a hard day at work. Basically a healing story. You will have to go elsewhere for your bad things.

Damn.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:53 am Reply with quote
With the third episode, it is safe to say that the two seasons really focus on different things. Season one was getting used to the new world and reducing the miasma, while the second season is what comes after that. In this case that includes dealing with nobles, balls and even a foreign prince. Personally, I would rather deal with the miasma than the nobles, but it seems like Sei does not have much choice in the matter.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Well. this week we had a new character in the form of a foreign prince. Said prince comes from the same country as the captain that Sei gave the special potion too. The prince is coming to study abroad and is especially interested in flora/potions. Thus, it is no surprise at all that he is after Sei for some reason. I personally think he wants to learn how to make a special healing potion to save someone, since trying to abduct the saint would be utter suicide.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9