• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Odd Taxi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
One key detail I haven't seen anyone mention yet:
spoiler[We see another body bag drop at the same time as our famous flying taxi.
And I think we all know who is in it.
]

All of those "drop" moments were flashbacks for the individual characters.

Tanaka's phone dropping into the gutter when Odokawa nearly ran him over, Kakihana throwing the ring into the river, Sakura's mom dropping fried chicken into the oil, the calico (forget her name) dropping soap into the bath, spoiler[Nikaido dropping the missing girl's body into the river].

That particular "drop" (spoilered above) is a flashback, not a flashforward given the context of everything else in that moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
After some research and using google tanslate and other dicctionaries seems like the connection betweenspoiler[ Tanaka (Skull Mask) and Sakura (the killer)] is explained in the manga version of the story that started around the same time as the anime.

spoiler[In episode 5 we see Sakura receiving the cellphone from Tanaka (who's inside a black taxi), then she gets called by Yamamoto so she enters Odokawa's taxi (white). Apparently what happened was that Sakura first aproached the black taxi thinking that was where Yamamoto was coming to pick her up, but instead she sees Tanaka inside. She apologizes for the mistake but then Tanaka says something to her. We don't know what he actually says but from Sakura's responces it is implied that he just asked her to put the cellphone inside the other taxi and that Sakura does this because she finds this amusing. She then says that Tanaka looks like a dead person.]

Source (japanese): https://benisback.jp/archives/30782

I hope we get to see a little more of what happens at the end of the story once the manga reaches that point.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:30 pm Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
After some research and using google tanslate and other dicctionaries seems like the connection betweenspoiler[ Tanaka (Skull Mask) and Sakura (the killer)] is explained in the manga version of the story that started around the same time as the anime.

spoiler[In episode 5 we see Sakura receiving the cellphone from Tanaka (who's inside a black taxi), then she gets called by Yamamoto so she enters Odokawa's taxi (white). Apparently what happened was that Sakura first aproached the black taxi thinking that was where Yamamoto was coming to pick her up, but instead she sees Tanaka inside. She apologizes for the mistake but then Tanaka says something to her. We don't know what he actually says but from Sakura's responces it is implied that he just asked her to put the cellphone inside the other taxi and that Sakura does this because she finds this amusing. She then says that Tanaka looks like a dead person.]

Source (japanese): https://benisback.jp/archives/30782

I hope we get to see a little more of what happens at the end of the story once the manga reaches that point.

I guess I'm glad there's an explanation, but wow that's weak! And why wouldn't he just go in Odakawa taxi then?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I guess I'm glad there's an explanation, but wow that's weak! And why wouldn't he just go in Odakawa taxi then?

I mean, he was totally the picture of reasonable thought and mental health. From Odokawa's point of view he had never even met Tanaka, which is an interesting part when Tanaka says that he has a grudge for something Odokawa apparently did to him. It is just one small part of this show's theme of how so many different people can impact the lives of others in surprising ways, and characters can act in ways that are logical to them.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:47 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Steve! I really enjoyed your episode reviews (and the show, of course), especially the last one. Keep up the good work!
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I was actually wondering if they might use spoiler[live-action for the reveal, but it almost certainly worked out better this way simply because that would have been extremely difficult to pull off well.]

Regarding the last scene, spoiler[can Odokawa still recognise her at this point? I forgot whether he genuinely has dashcam footage featuring her?]
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I came into this show late, but wow! what a ride that was!

More anime like this please!
MPAndonee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Thank you, Steve! I really enjoyed your episode reviews (and the show, of course), especially the last one. Keep up the good work!

Precisely. Another great review on a great show.
Kraz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:21 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
I was actually wondering if they might use spoiler[live-action for the reveal, but it almost certainly worked out better this way simply because that would have been extremely difficult to pull off well.]

Regarding the last scene, spoiler[can Odokawa still recognise her at this point? I forgot whether he genuinely has dashcam footage featuring her?]

The ending is open-ended, from what I've seen around people seems to base their conclusion only on the scene where the killer is revealed, but for me it feel like the writers has left a LOT of contradictions (honestly it feels like it was added at the last minute, which is super weird for such a series), anyway:

spoiler[Odokawa has never recovered his dash cam footage, Dobu is imprisoned, he was also suspected for the kidnapping, so even if he gave it to the police / they found it, no way they would return it to Odokawa.
BUT

- In the last episode when he wakes up Odokawa is eager to tell it was Sakura he drove to the office that October night, so he do understand it's an important element to the case.

- Odokawa was also a suspect for the girl kidnapping at first, no way he was not interrogated by the police about that night and his links to Mystery Kiss, but nothing is said about this anywhere so...

- Taeko (the bar owner) is on the phone with Odokawa in the last audio drama, you can find the translation in the Odd Taxi wiki, we can't be sure Odokawa has an idea of who is the killer (for Taeko they would need the wiretap data to piece everything together, whatever she means don't make sense to be honest)
We don't hear him, and she cut the conversation when it's becoming interesting -damn! xD- ("I don't think this Rui Nikaidou girl is the murderer, do you? Well, let's not dwell on that on New Year's Eve.")
But there is an interesting bit before that, Odokawa has collected interviews and statements on the case for her (she wants to write a novel), meaning he was not staying in the hospital doing nothing between the 26th and the 31th

So yeah, on one hand we have Sakura kills everyone and win (she says everything is going fine on phone, and the fact she's still freely walking tend to prove she's right).
But saying Odokawa can recognize her (and even suspect her) is far from being far-fetched.
A few viewers goes as far to believe it's HIM who's going to trap her.]

I have reduced the elements to the bare minimum, this kind of series are insane because every sentence can be interpreted so many ways, I hope the manga adaptation will be translated and will provide a little more explanation once finished.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:25 am Reply with quote
spoiler[If he can no longer recognise her, doesn’t have the footage, and doesn’t realise she’s the new member of Mystery Kiss, presumably he’d just be telling the police: “I drove a [cat-looking] girl who wasn’t the victim or Nikaidou to the scene at that time.” That might add some doubt to the case against Nikaidou but wouldn’t necessarily be that helpful in tracking down the other girl.

However he saw posters etc. for Mystery Kiss featuring the killer. She’s masked, but they showed he could pick out a masked person he’d previously seen unmasked.

If he can recognise her, you’d think he couldn’t be being caught unawares in the final scene and therefore probably is trapping her. If I’m mistaken somehow and he doesn’t recognise her, that changes things completely.

One possibility is that he does know she’s the masked Mystery Kiss girl but hasn’t seen her unmasked human form so can’t recognise her. But if that was the case, as you point out, why wouldn’t the police already be onto her?]
Kraz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:32 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
spoiler[If he can no longer recognise her, doesn’t have the footage, and doesn’t realise she’s the new member of Mystery Kiss, presumably he’d just be telling the police: “I drove a [cat-looking] girl who wasn’t the victim or Nikaidou to the scene at that time.” That might add some doubt to the case against Nikaidou but wouldn’t necessarily be that helpful in tracking down the other girl.]

spoiler[There is zero doubt he knows she's a Mystery Kiss member.
There is an episode where Dobu show him the photo of the only girl who matched the description in his dashcam footage, but add she's not the missing girl. Odokawa look at the picture and says "It's the Mystery Kiss girl".
At that point he can do nothing of this information, yeah he drove her to the office that night, so what ? It's unrelated to the case.

The problem arise later when the identity of the killed girl is revealed, she's a Mystery Kiss member ! Odokawa is surprised: "It's not her..."
He knows there's an issue, don't forget once someone leaves him an impression, he always recognize them, and he has drove them multiple times.
The corpse is found at the end of October, but back then they already estimated she was killed around one month ago.

It's confirmed in episode 11, he calls Yamamoto (the manager), and says, the Mitsuya in the news is not the one he drove in my taxi, and in the end, before Yamamoto cut the conversation, he add: "That reminded me. The girl I drove on October 4th was..."

We don't know if he has a picture of her unmasked, it's never shown if he put a new SD card in his dash cam for example, and we have no information of what he did when collecting info for Taeko.
]
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, I forgot some scenes. In that case it seems spoiler[very likely he does recognise her in the final scene and is therefore pretending not to as part of some scheme.

If he didn’t know her human face there is still a small chance nothing has been done by the police or others in the intervening time for some unexplained reason, but while Odd Taxi involves plenty of coincidences, “it was a total coincidence. I must be lucky after all. Everything’s going my way” could easily be intended to imply to the viewer that it’s not a coincidence she came across Odokawa’s taxi just then, shortly after he realised she was the likely killer. Considering the fact that just being at the crime scene around the same time as Nikaidou doesn’t actually prove guilt or innocence, it seems most likely that it is part of a sting to get her to incriminate herself conclusively.]
yeehaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:16 pm Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:

Regarding your last question: spoiler[That pen has been seen around the show since episode 1. Is a device that connects the anime with the audio drama. The audio drama is a series of audio clips of around 5 minutes each that were released weekly with every episode. If you want to know what they are I encourage you to listen to them. They're released as Youtube videos and someone is subbing them here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgYJolgh0UQU7f5abHZhUrg/videos
The translated transcript of the other ones not yet subbed (except for the last one at the moment) can be read here:
https://oddtaxi.fandom.com/wiki/Odd_Taxi_(audio_drama)
(^I couldn't format the second link very well so make sure to copy the entire line if you want to check it out)
]

When we see Goriki in his clinic the patient is a girl with her hair in a split ponytail that I'm pretty sure is Shiho
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7