• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces Kakegurui Anime's English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
TheMorry wrote:
God, what is the point of a new dub. Is a new dub truly cheaper than using the netflix one? I can't imagine listening to another dub.

I've at least heard that at some point after deciding to do union dubs, Netflix started charging 50% the cost for use of its dubs. It's kind of crazy to think the price gap is so wide that it's cheaper to do the whole thing over again. I'm assuming home video licenses for shows that are several years old are comparatively cheap, and there is the added value of a big streaming service getting eyes on it for them, but I wonder how much of that is offset by it not being the same as what people watched? Even if it is done well, there is something off putting about changing a cast. Even more so if the prior one was well regarded.

I'm still planning on getting the blu-rays since I've been wanting them for years now, but I think rewatching will be done via Netflix for me.

The biggest irony is that Hero Mask and Kakegurui's dubs were largely non-union prior before Netflix made a deal with SAG-AFTRA to have future dubs unionized but to Sentai, they thought the dubs to Hero Mask and Kakegurui were "expensive" hence why they redubbed them. Also even more ironic is that SwordGai which was non-union and Cagaster of an Insect Cage which was a unionized dub didn't get a redub by Sentai.

Last edited by DisneyXAnimefan95 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:59 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
God, what is the point of a new dub. Is a new dub truly cheaper than using the netflix one? I can't imagine listening to another dub.

I'm not an expert and I don't live in the U.S. but perhaps it is due to licenses. For example this year Funimation made a new Spanish dub for Cowboy Bebop, the series was originally distributed in Latin America in 2001 but the original dub, despite having a lot of fans had a lot of translations problems, and perhaps it was cheaper to dub the series again, luckily Funimation managed to bring some of the original voices back. But the thing is that last week Cowboy Bebop was uploaded to Netflix with another Spanish dub, but it had the same director and translator as the Funimation one, but it was recorded in a different studio, Ed and Julia have the same voices in the three dubs, while Jet's voice actor is the same for both the Netflix and Funimation dubs, among others.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:25 pm Reply with quote
The Netflix dub of the first season of Kakegurui was excellent the second season dub was competent but wasn't quite on the same level as the first season's dub for me. I find this redub trend that Sentai has been climbing this year to be interesting at times but the cast and voice direction feel pretty average to me. Monica Rial would of been the best choice to play Yumeko Jabami felt that was a pretty obvious casting direction to go. John Swasey can be a fine actor when he wants to be but I've found his casting and voice direction over the years to be a more occasional hit and miss affair at times. I'm curious about the dub but not curious enough to rush out and drop a hefty amount of money on the blu-ray release. It certainly does sound like Serena Varghese as Yumeko Jabami not sure if this is a complete miscast yet she may prove to be more fitting for the role in the full scope of the redub. I will say this the redub isn't remotely on par with the Netflix dub that much is certain to me.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
TheMorry wrote:

I've at least heard that at some point after deciding to do union dubs, Netflix started charging 50% the cost for use of its dubs. It's kind of crazy to think the price gap is so wide that it's cheaper to do the whole thing over again. I'm assuming home video licenses for shows that are several years old are comparatively cheap, and there is the added value of a big streaming service getting eyes on it for them, but I wonder how much of that is offset by it not being the same as what people watched? Even if it is done well, there is something off putting about changing a cast. Even more so if the prior one was well regarded.

I'm still planning on getting the blu-rays since I've been wanting them for years now, but I think rewatching will be done via Netflix for me.

Would make some sense then. I know Shout Factory's willing to dole out the cash, hence why B the Beginning and Eva retained their Netflix dubs (though I think Khara might have had a hand in the latter keeping that dub track as well). While Sentai probably doesn't see it's worth the effort or money to keep it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:04 pm Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:

The biggest irony is that Hero Mask and Kakegurui's dubs were largely non-union prior before Netflix made a deal with SAG-AFTRA to have futue dubs unionized but to Sentai, they thought the dubs to Hero Mask and Kakegurui were "expensive" hence why they redubbed them. Also even more ironic is that SwordGai which was non-union and Cagaster of an Insect Cage which was a unionized dub didn't get a redub by Sentai.
It's also likely down to Netflix licensing contracts where some shows Netflix has exclusive licensing control over the dub and they don't want the dub available on any other format or platform but other shows they might be more flexible with. Sword Gai and Cagaster were also some of the less popular Netflix shows so maybe that drove the price down some.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:37 pm Reply with quote
@ chrisb

Then one wonders why audition for a specific role at all! Now I get that sometimes they audition for a role and later find the show becomes controversial in some aspect without having prior researched the show before they auditioned.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:

The biggest irony is that Hero Mask and Kakegurui's dubs were largely non-union prior before Netflix made a deal with SAG-AFTRA to have futue dubs unionized but to Sentai, they thought the dubs to Hero Mask and Kakegurui were "expensive" hence why they redubbed them. Also even more ironic is that SwordGai which was non-union and Cagaster of an Insect Cage which was a unionized dub didn't get a redub by Sentai.
It's also likely down to Netflix licensing contracts where some shows Netflix has exclusive licensing control over the dub and they don't want the dub available on any other format or platform but other shows they might be more flexible with. Sword Gai and Cagaster were also some of the less popular Netflix shows so maybe that drove the price down some.

I honestly am getting more skeptical on Sentai possibly licensing Ultraman (2019), Beastars, Aggretsuko, among other Netflix anime series and giving them an in-house dub if Funimation or Viz Media were to pass on those shows.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:55 pm Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
I honestly am getting more skeptical on Sentai possibly licensing Ultraman (2019), Beastars, Aggretsuko, among other Netflix anime series and giving them an in-house dub if Funimation or Viz Media were to pass on those shows.

I've probably said it before on another thread but if this release is successful enough, I have zero doubts Sentai will continue to do recast dubs for popular Netflix properties if they license them, no matter how beloved that dub may be. They've done it already for a few shows, but Kakegurui is easily the most well-known of the bunch. Sure, some series seem perpetually locked behind Netflix for the time being (Little Witch Academia, Devilman Crybaby) and the Violet Evergarden film is probably safe because Funimation already released the series on blu-ray + film in theaters. But once shows like Great Pretender, Beastars, etc... are up for possible distribution... why not if its cheaper and buyers don't seem to care?

Sentai, you had a perfectly good brand new Kaiji blu-ray right there you could have spent time and resources dubbing instead smh.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
Sure a lot of this is speculation since licensing companies are not exactly about to reveal their behind the scenes business practices. However, wouldn't it have been simpler for Sentai to get just the DVD rights for "Kakegurui" and some other Netflix-streaming shows with the existing Eng. dub vs. Sentai just re-dubbing it?

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:21 am Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
I know Shout Factory's willing to dole out the cash, hence why B the Beginning and Eva retained their Netflix dubs (though I think Khara might have had a hand in the latter keeping that dub track as well).

Shout Factory had nothing to do with getting those dubs as they're simply acting as distributor for Anime Limited and GKids respectively (though yes, Khara had a lot to do with Eva plus both Anime Limited and Madman are using the exact same discs and contents and I believe they're all produced by the former like Promare's Collector's Edition release was).

Speaking of Anime Limited, they have had the UK license for Kakegurui since 2018 and on their last update for it a year ago, they cited Netflix as the reason they have yet to release it there because of issues with getting the materials including the English dub.

https://youtu.be/2GaRhpr7XpA?t=805

So Sentai's redub wasn't exactly unexpected and it'll be interesting to see what becomes of the UK release now.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Now I get that sometimes they audition for a role and later find the show becomes controversial in some aspect without having prior researched the show before they auditioned.

“Okay, my research says the character’s a cheerful, friendly yamato nadeshiko type who loves card games and is a part-time idol singer. Seems fine..”
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

I've probably said it before on another thread but if this release is successful enough, I have zero doubts Sentai will continue to do recast dubs for popular Netflix properties if they license them, no matter how beloved that dub may be. They've done it already for a few shows, but Kakegurui is easily the most well-known of the bunch. Sure, some series seem perpetually locked behind Netflix for the time being (Little Witch Academia, Devilman Crybaby) and the Violet Evergarden film is probably safe because Funimation already released the series on blu-ray + film in theaters. But once shows like Great Pretender, Beastars, etc... are up for possible distribution... why not if its cheaper and buyers don't seem to care?

But then again, Funimation was able to license Seven Deadly Sins, Violet Evergarden (both series and films) and more recently Cannon Busters so I wouldn't rule out Funimation and to a degree Viz Media possibly licensing more Netflix anime series if they are interested and have the money to pay for their dubs Netflix does when compared to Sentai. Besides, last month Viz Media did a promotion with Jonah Scott the English voice of Tatsu for The Way of the Househusband, and even though this short video was just to sponsor/market The Way of the Househusband manga, seeing that Viz has invited the English voice actor of Tatsu from the anime, it wouldn't surprise me that it could hint at a possible Home video license of The Way of the Househusband anime later down the line, even the same can be said for Viz licensing Sailor Moon Eternal and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean for Home Video.

But going back I just don't want Sentai to get their grubby hands on licensing Beastars, Ultraman (2019), Shaman King (2021), Aggretsuko, Eden, Great Pretender, etc. and give them an in-house redub, and lastly, FYI Hero Mask and Kakegurui's dubs were non-union before Netflix started making their shows Unionized in July 2019.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:46 pm Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:

But going back I just don't want Sentai to get their grubby hands on licensing Beastars, Ultraman (2019), Shaman King (2021), Aggretsuko, Eden, Great Pretender, etc. and give them an in-house redub, and lastly, FYI Hero Mask and Kakegurui's dubs were non-union before Netflix started making their shows Unionized in July 2019.
I mean if it's a choice between the show being released on BD in some form or being lost eternally to streaming limbo, I'm going to take having the show available on BD and I'm not going to be that picky about it. And I don't mind watching shows subbed. The Japanese cast of Beastars was also good and Shaman King has Megumi Hayashibara and Romi Park. I mean yeah I would like those dubs preserved too but I also want the show itself preserved more. And people complain about Sentai being "grubby" when they're being slowly pushed out by the Funimation monopoly and just trying to license what they can.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:17 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:

I mean if it's a choice between the show being released on BD in some form or being lost eternally to streaming limbo, I'm going to take having the show available on BD and I'm not going to be that picky about it. And I don't mind watching shows subbed. The Japanese cast of Beastars was also good and Shaman King has Megumi Hayashibara and Romi Park. I mean yeah I would like those dubs preserved too but I also want the show itself preserved more. And people complain about Sentai being "grubby" when they're being slowly pushed out by the Funimation monopoly and just trying to license what they can.

I still disagree with you I just wish some other anime licensors be it Funimation or Viz (even though they moved on from new anime licenses completely) license some of the Netflix anime instead of having them be licensed by Sentai Filmworks ALL THE TIME and giving them an in-house redub, I just don't want Sentai licensing Beastars, Ultraman (2019), Shaman King (2021), Aggretsuko, Eden, and Great Pretender.

However, if Sentai licenses Teasing Master Takagi San and especially The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Reawakened I wouldn't mind if those series get redubbed considering fans were upset and complain when both series used an LA cast over the TX-based cast and if Sentai license them over Funimation I think the biggest hope is they bring back some of the TX-based cast, and even some of the Houston-Based cast were involved in Teasing Master Takagi San (Season 1) and Saiki K, at least THAT would please the original fans of those particular shows.
therjabundo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:58 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Who is Estelle Link?

I know the voice... Christina Kelly is great as Sao To Me; guys, you've been dubbing things for years, names should be the easy part by now... anyway, I'd thinking Yumiko is played by Serena Varghese. At least, I think so as voice and delivery match.

I'll just go with "It's an odd choice" and leave it there. I only heard this clip. The Sao Tome thing is enough of a red flag in this trailer.

I went to Serena Varghese's Youtube channel (I made sure it was really her, and it was.) and asked if she is indeed playing Yumeko using the "Estelle Link" pseudonym, her response was "No, but I'll look into it." I'm not sure if she's lying in order to avoid breaking NDA or she's not comfortable admitting it. I'm gonna have to agree with your speculation here that Serena is indeed Yumeko, what do you think? Are you sure it's really her?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3