• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Cancels Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:13 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame. This really deserved a second season. But the anime purists had to remind us how toxic they can be.

For what it's worth I wish all the best for the One Piece adaptation.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:16 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
It's a shame. This really deserved a second season. But the anime purists had to remind us how toxic they can be.

For what it's worth I wish all the best for the One Piece adaptation.

The anime purist had nothing to do with the absolutely terrible writing, directing and sound direction. But sure blame them when at large a majority of people even outside of anime dislike the project.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:22 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:

I'm sorry what? Anime purists? Shows don't get cancelled solely because fans are mad. This got bad review scores by actual entertainment trades. This wasn't a case of "the fans are mean and everybody else liked it", this did not have a good reception from the general audience by any stretch of the imagination. People were not finishing the show. This is why it got cancelled, not some "toxicity"
iluvrice2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I never watched it after seeing the Ed clip but that was all I needed to see. All the prior footage was fairly horrible too; it looked like a fan movie. But that Ed scene was irredeemable. People saying that the Ed was faithful to the anime version need to rewatch Bebop. Ed was never LOUD and on her 100th can of Red Bull. She was weird, eccentric, but mostly low key and not so in your face. That version was as if someone read a character sheet for Ed and just made up their own version from it.

Episode 24 is for me the best episode of the original series and to see Ed portrayed so harshly was honestly heart breaking. I could never see the live action version of that character portray the poignancy required as Ed heads off into the sunset.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Actually, in situations like this, the actors and actresses do deserve some blame. They could have easily said "No" to the project.

Actors have bills to pay, my dude.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:31 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
Breaking up the gang at the end of the season and debuting Radical Ed at the same time to make dumb sequel hooks was a... very strong, overconfident move lol well, this show was trash, so I'm not gonna miss it.

I hope the One Piece live action gets cancelled like this too, since people are seemingly much less willing to accept whatever liberties this adapt took, for a show that has to embrace its own silliness for it to be half as good as the anime/manga.

one piece cast is leagues better

guess it comes down to writing/dialogue and spec effects and costume design for creatures.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

I'm sorry what? Anime purists? Shows don't get cancelled solely because fans are mad. This got bad review scores by actual entertainment trades. This wasn't a case of "the fans are mean and everybody else liked it", this did not have a good reception from the general audience by any stretch of the imagination. People were not finishing the show. This is why it got cancelled, not some "toxicity"

It hasn't even been a month. If Netflix is canceling it this fast it can only be because of the purists constantly trashing it online.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:34 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
It hasn't even been a month. If Netflix is canceling it this fast it can only be because of the purists constantly trashing it online.

Or it's because it was a huge financial flop. Which is something Netflix actually cares about, not what fans are saying online.
iluvrice2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:40 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

Or maybe because half of the people who watched it hated it and its viewership dropped like a rock? I'm sure that anime fans not watching because it looked like an abomination didn't help but I doubt it hurt either.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:40 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/cowboy_bebop_2021

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/cowboy-bebop-2021
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/cowboy_bebop_2021

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/cowboy-bebop-2021

I love how you think critics can't also be purists.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:51 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:

"Everybody who disagrees with me is just a purist, including professional reviewers who may have no previous experience with anime" sure is a stance to take.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:54 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

"Everybody who disagrees with me is just a purist, including professional reviewers who may have no previous experience with anime" sure is a stance to take.

The majority of negative reviews boiled down to the fact that it wasn't exactly like the anime and only purists actually cared about that.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Scores of people in these very discussions have stated over and over again that their evaluation of this work exists independently of comparisons.

The same two people strawmanning topic after topic that this must be the only reason people dislike this show is growing ever so tiresome.
earl.m

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:00 pm Reply with quote
When you are doing any project - movie, TV series, video game, play, opening a restaurant etc. - you have to ask these questions:

Who is this for? Who is my target market? What does this target market want?

Netflix failed to do this here.

The target audience WAS NOT fans of the original anime because all of the changes were made to "fix it."

The target audience WAS NOT anime fans in general, because such fans to this day give huge ratings to content even more "problematic" than Cowboy Bebop.

The target audience WAS NOT general audiences because general audiences tend not to watch TV shows about space bounty hunters. Unless it is very good, like Game of Thrones or Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 good. (And it is debatable whether either would be made in this current climate either. Forget it ... we already know that GoT couldn't.) And that sort of quality wasn't possible with this budget.

People, please don't say "this means that you shouldn't adapt anime." Why? Because anime gets successfully adapted in Japan and South Korea all the time. Boys over Flowers was one of the top rated South Korean shows in history. Not just in South Korea. It was a smash hit all over Asia. That was just one example. There are plenty more. More recent: Alice In Borderland. It is getting a season 2.

Western anime adaptations fail? Alita: Battle Angel made $400 million global and that was with it getting totally screwed by Disney (the movie was made by Fox before Disney bought them) with a February release date and a generic marketing campaign. Alita: Battle Angel was (mostly) the same story as the original OVA but with a very talented cast and modern special effects. It gave Gunnm fans, anime fans, even generic cyberpunk sci-fi fans what they wanted.

This show by design avoided giving the fans what they wanted like the plague. Even worse: it was trying to dictate to the market what the market SHOULD want. I will grant you. Sometimes that works. But again, the product has to be much higher quality than Netflix is generally capable of. Also, maximum quality has to be a goal, and nothing about this production indicates that the best quality capable was even a goal here.

Netflix is going to keep trying because they have no choice: they need as much content as possible while paying as little as possible for it. Western adaptations of foreign media is one of the best ways to accomplish this. Hopefully they will learn their lesson from this debacle and make things aimed at target audiences and not ... whoever it is Bebop was made for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9