• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Guilty Gear Strive Developer: Bridget Identifies as a Woman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:39 am Reply with quote
light turner wrote:
While I respect the right of the developer to do what they want with their product, but this is disappointing all the same and I think I'm done with the series at this point. I guess asking for more GG after Cross Tag Battle was just a monkey paw wish in the end.

If this is what gets you to stop being a fan of the series, then you were never a fan to begin with.

There is no monkey's paw in this situation at all.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:19 pm Reply with quote
ThePatmann wrote:
I'm going to preface this reply with the acknowledgement that my opinion isn't valid, I really never have nor never will enjoy Guilty Gear (Despite my boyfriend's attempts to get me to play) I'm just really bad at fighting games. The music is nice, but I'll be honest, I'm probably never going to get into it. I also recognize that it's likely that my reply won't be well received, and if this post gets me banned off the forums here, so be it. Do what you guys thing is just. But I want to clear the air and dispel this idea that everyone who isn't in favor of the new lore on Bridgette is somehow a transphobe or is turned off because they are "into" femboys.

So, first of all, opening a new account and having your first ever post begin with a paragraph like this is not going to get taken very seriously. High "I'm not a ___ist, buuuut" energy.

For your actual post though, all I can really say is that not every character is going resonate 100% with each fan/viewer, and that percentage is and will change along with that character changing or not changing. I'm not 100% happy that a bunch of Normal Pokemon got retconned into Fairy Pokemon, but I'm dealing with that.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see even more confirmation that Bridget is a trans girl. Trans girls will always require more media representation than cis male characters and I am quite happy to see that we're getting more, even if it's just one at a time.
ThePatmann

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
ThePatmann wrote:
I'm going to preface this reply with the acknowledgement that my opinion isn't valid, I really never have nor never will enjoy Guilty Gear (Despite my boyfriend's attempts to get me to play) I'm just really bad at fighting games. The music is nice, but I'll be honest, I'm probably never going to get into it. I also recognize that it's likely that my reply won't be well received, and if this post gets me banned off the forums here, so be it. Do what you guys thing is just. But I want to clear the air and dispel this idea that everyone who isn't in favor of the new lore on Bridgette is somehow a transphobe or is turned off because they are "into" femboys.

So, first of all, opening a new account and having your first ever post begin with a paragraph like this is not going to get taken very seriously. High "I'm not a ___ist, buuuut" energy. .

Well, I'm not a regular around here, there's not much I can do about that, first thing I've seen here that really made me want to make an account so I could post. And I wanted to make it clear I'm not espousing my stance on things to be correct. (I'm not a fan, nor am I in any way affiliated with the development or design). I am repeating the story of a friend and hopefully de-escalating what I saw as a pretty tense and edging towards hostile comment section. I went in with as much humility as I could, and recognized that due to how things are lately, there's a non-insignificant chance that I'd have the opposite of my intended effect and heighten tension and get banned for being a new user "stirring the pot".

Sorry if my intro comes off as racist or transphobic or something, I really wasn't sure how to get across the idea that I'm honestly not trying to boost those hateful beliefs, while still defending a group of people I think are wrongly being labeled as such. Did I atleast make sense and pose a good argument for why it's okay that some people aren't jazzed about the direction they took Bridgette? [I mean, it ultimately is a matter of opinion anyhow, no amount of that is going to change whether or not Bridgette is transfemme]
Ryo_rkgk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I've gotta say, this is getting old. The constant ankle biting and berating the haters are doing, blaming “woke” people for pressuring the game developers and creaters to admit Bridgets Identity, is profoundly stupid.
Saying “well japan doesnt do this and that and they have femboys and crossdressers, closed case,” its profound, honestly.

Let me educate as someone who has lived there half my life. Lgbt people exist in Japan, there is an ENTIRE gay district in Shinjuku, or , Sin city Babieeeee, Called Ni-Chome.

The television studios, which follow government obscenity laws, dont like to show lgbt people, infact they are pressured to show stereo typical hyper effeminate men, flamboyant ones. They dont show people like, elliot paige. The government considers lgbt people as mentally ill. The stances have softed a bit but not much, however the Japanese Constitution specifically says not citizen of japan can infringe on anothers life, so lgbt people are still protected but not allowed marriage and face healthcare issues.

That said, japan has had an acceptance procedure for sex change and gender marker change for DECADES.

This is not new. There are countless stories of transitioning people, old and new.
Even though the media portrays lgbt people negatively, there have been countless personalities on TV as Identifying as She and He opposite to their birth sex.

Heck back in 2007-2010, there was a trans woman personality from Brazil, a country with the most overseas Japanese citizens in the world, japan has a very large imprint there.

So this isnt new, briget is not political correctness run amok. In fact, its not the Libs attacking Arc, its the incel nerds who wont admit they are attracted to a crossdresser and mask their feelings by saying Arc has no integrity and bows to the liberal agenda….

The Japanese version dialogue literally says she's a girl… so not only do these losers not understan japanese society outside of anime and a few translated books on Bushido and Hagakure, they cant even understand Japanese language or ever been there.

Hell, the alt right do this thing now where they blame liberals as forcing their ideals onto foreign countries by using fatalistic language calling libs colonizers and western idealist
Fascists and thought police.

Again, gross ignorance.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:23 pm Reply with quote
ThePatmann wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
ThePatmann wrote:

So, first of all, opening a new account and having your first ever post begin with a paragraph like this is not going to get taken very seriously. High "I'm not a ___ist, buuuut" energy. .

Well, I'm not a regular around here, there's not much I can do about that, first thing I've seen here that really made me want to make an account so I could post. And I wanted to make it clear I'm not espousing my stance on things to be correct. (I'm not a fan, nor am I in any way affiliated with the development or design). I am repeating the story of a friend and hopefully de-escalating what I saw as a pretty tense and edging towards hostile comment section. I went in with as much humility as I could, and recognized that due to how things are lately, there's a non-insignificant chance that I'd have the opposite of my intended effect and heighten tension and get banned for being a new user "stirring the pot".

Sorry if my intro comes off as racist or transphobic or something, I really wasn't sure how to get across the idea that I'm honestly not trying to boost those hateful beliefs, while still defending a group of people I think are wrongly being labeled as such. Did I atleast make sense and pose a good argument for why it's okay that some people aren't jazzed about the direction they took Bridgette? [I mean, it ultimately is a matter of opinion anyhow, no amount of that is going to change whether or not Bridgette is transfemme]

Your friend is in a very unique situation for this topic and I hope the best for them. That said, you currently can’t see the deleted posts that were in this thread or the last. You can see some of the same people in the previous thread making the exact comments Daisuke was responding to. The way you’ve relayed it is that your friend is disappointed but not rejecting the validity of Bridget’s story, but that they personally no longer relate to it. The posters you’ve decided to come to the defense of here were not doing that. They were finding reasons to invalidate not just the story choices, but also the experiences of anyone that relates to it. They were inventing reasons why this must be wrong, because transgenderism is a wrong. That is transphobia. It’s the exact type of thing that makes it hard for your friend to communicate what happened to them. Not that your friend is transphobic, but that transphobes are more than happy to co-opt his experience in order to hurt others, and trying to give your story feels like joining them in that cause. This is why there is such pushback to the transphobia that was on display in this thread. So people like your friend can speak up about their experiences as well.
So I encourage you not to rush to their defense or attempt to martyr yourself for their cause because it is not the same one as yours no matter how much they may tell you it is. Speak not for them but for yourself and let your good intentions shine through, just as when they post they let their worst intentions show.
ThePatmann

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:39 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:

That said, you currently can’t see the deleted posts that were in this thread or the last. You can see some of the same people in the previous thread making the exact comments Daisuke was responding to... The posters you’ve decided to come to the defense of here were not doing that. They were finding reasons to invalidate not just the story choices, but also the experiences of anyone that relates to it. They were inventing reasons why this must be wrong, because transgenderism is a wrong. That is transphobia. It’s the exact type of thing that makes it hard for your friend to communicate what happened to them. Not that your friend is transphobic, but that transphobes are more than happy to co-opt his experience in order to hurt others, and trying to give your story feels like joining them in that cause. This is why there is such pushback to the transphobia that was on display in this thread. So people like your friend can speak up about their experiences as well.

That is context I did lack, the only posts I have seen here were people who were making semi-reasonable points like me, and seeing intense and disproportionate backlash against them. The comment that Gem-Bug left kinda felt dismissive and that he was labeling me amongst those... honestly vile people who are the reason my friend doesn't feel comfortable speaking out. I definitely am in support of correctly identifying and dealing with transphobes. Thanks for the clarification, btw. It really means a lot. Smile
chudmaru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Ryo_rkgk wrote:
I've gotta say, this is getting old. The constant ankle biting and berating the haters are doing, blaming “woke” people for pressuring the game developers and creaters to admit Bridgets Identity, is profoundly stupid.

At the risk of falling for a troll comment and burner account I feel the need to point out the only instance of the word 'woke' being in used in this thread is one post on page 1 that is also complaining about people who complain about 'woke'. In fact, there's quite a lot more complaining about people who supposedly are obsessed with "triggering the libs" and "anti-woke" in this thread than people actually talking about any of that stuff in the first place.
fennicfox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
If this is what gets you to stop being a fan of the series, then you were never a fan to begin with.

You know all you're doing here is trying to gatekeep who is and isn't a fan of something with a post like this. You don't really get to decide that though. Individual people get to. Trying to interrogate someone on their fandom credentials is a pretty awful thing to do and happens way too often in nerd spaces and needs to stop. I'm sure there's plenty of things you lost interest in for one reason or another that people would try to call you out on for being minor or not big deals, so why do the same to other people?
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:07 pm Reply with quote
ThePatmann wrote:

My boyfriend and I have a mutual friend who is really into the series and really related to Bridgette's old backstory because of his personal lived experiences.

To me, all that sounds perfectly valid. It's valid to negatively react to the direction an author takes a character, even if that reaction is just based on your personal connection to the character's "old" backstory. Where it becomes invalid is thinking the author shouldn't have made the change simply because of your negative reaction or making up "woke" conspiracies about the author's motivations for a change. ETA: Or the worse stuff that is straight up transphobic that other posters have brought up.

The wider picture IMO is that people's future choices don't necessarily invalidate their past. I haven't played through Bridgette's new storyline, but from the cutscenes I've seen, she's not invalidating any of her past experiences or identity. There's just as many trans experiences as there are trans people. Just as some may say something akin to "I was always [their new gender]" some will also say something akin to "I was X gender before transitioning but am Y gender now." So your boyfriend can still identify with Bridgette's past storyline because that's just as much a part of Bridgette as her new one. As far as I can tell, (people can correct me if I'm wrong) Bridgette's past wasn't retconned; she just changed in the present and going into the future.

And I'm not a mod, but I don't see anything in your post that's a rules violation, so I think you're good even if people don't agree with your or your boyfriend's reaction.

Last edited by Jeff Bauersfeld on Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThePatmann

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:10 pm Reply with quote
chudmaru wrote:
there's quite a lot more complaining about people who supposedly are obsessed with "triggering the libs" and "anti-woke" in this thread than people actually talking about any of that stuff in the first place.

According to ATastySub, it seems like a lot of the anti-woke sort that are being complained about here have been deleted or are on a previous post. I had the same thought you did tho before I heard that.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This is misconstruing and conflating people who are critical of media narratives that do in fact fetishize femboys with making it out that they think femboys themselves are fetishizing. Newsflash that media which fetishizes and stereotypes femboys can also be harmful to femboys. Also unless you're the creator of Bridget, how do you know what the "original concept" for her character was and what intentions the creators always had for her character?

This is a straw man. There was nothing about Bridget's original concept that was fetishizing femboy's. A character merely being a femboy does not make them a sexual fetish. And the fact that some people assume that there is. Is itself bigotry.

Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:
When did he say that? It's fine not liking the direction an author takes their character, but to assume some kind of malice is unreasonable. And people's identities often change. What feels right at one time, doesn't feel right at a later. The latter identity doesn't necessarily invalidate the previous identity. Same thing with fictional characters: the good ones don't always stay the same. And Bridgett's a good character IMO, despite the problematic joke the Internet turned her into in the early days.

Media is not produced in a vacuum. The media we create often reflects and endorses unconscious biases. For example it is a common stereotype that bisexuality is a phase people go through before they come out as gay. While some people may fit this stereotype. It is generally considered harmful to portray bi characters in this manner because it perpetuates the idea that being bisexual is just a phase. The same logic applies to femboys. Regardless of whatever intent Arcsys may have had. They basically validated the stereotype that being femboy is just a phase.
Ryo_rkgk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:47 pm Reply with quote
chudmaru wrote:
Ryo_rkgk wrote:

At the risk of falling for a troll comment and burner account I feel the need to point out the only instance of the word 'woke' being in used in this thread is one post on page 1 that is also complaining about people who complain about 'woke'. In fact, there's quite a lot more complaining about people who supposedly are obsessed with "triggering the libs" and "anti-woke" in this thread than people actually talking about any of that stuff in the first place.

So I am a burner or troll account because I like privacy… OK my dude, with that out of the way, I am speaking about in general I don’t really care what is said in a forum that only has 48 people talking I’m commenting on this specific thing because I know there are a lot of viewers of anime news, net work, and for posterity sake, I want the record to show that most people have no idea regarding the feelings of Japanese people. And regarding those feelings saying that trans, presenting people in Japan don’t exist and instead it’s Otokonokos Or cross-dressers only. It’s been my experience in steam forums and other forums in general full of people rage quitting this game because of the woke ideology or whatever they say. So I’ve been going around different forums posting this comment. Just so losers who come and complain can see that they know nothing about Japan, nothing against this forum specifically but I have seen some subtle, passive aggression around here and it just amounts to anger…” i honestly dont know a word to describe them”… from mad crossdresser lovers i guess.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:28 am Reply with quote
fennicfox wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

You know all you're doing here is trying to gatekeep who is and isn't a fan of something with a post like this. You don't really get to decide that though. Individual people get to. Trying to interrogate someone on their fandom credentials is a pretty awful thing to do and happens way too often in nerd spaces and needs to stop. I'm sure there's plenty of things you lost interest in for one reason or another that people would try to call you out on for being minor or not big deals, so why do the same to other people?

Meh, I'm not wrong.

Because if THIS is what gets you to hate the game, you never liked it to begin with.

Let me put it plainly, Bridget is a very minor thing to the game as a whole. Its a fighting game with 21 distinct characters, and an entire cinematic story mode (which she's not even in the story mode).

She is ultimately a very small part of the game and this easily ignorable. If this is the deal-breaker for you, than I'm sorry you didn't like the game to, was never that much of a fan of the series to begin with, and is just looking for any excuse to hate it.

If a character coming out as trans is that much of a problem then the doors right there. We don't need crap in the fanbase.

MetalEmolga7 wrote:
Media is not produced in a vacuum. The media we create often reflects and endorses unconscious biases. For example it is a common stereotype that bisexuality is a phase people go through before they come out as gay. While some people may fit this stereotype. It is generally considered harmful to portray bi characters in this manner because it perpetuates the idea that being bisexual is just a phase. The same logic applies to femboys. Regardless of whatever intent Arcsys may have had. They basically validated the stereotype that being femboy is just a phase.

Thats not a stereotype. And the fact that people are actually attempting (I put very heavy emphasis on "attempt") to use the term "femboys" in a serious context is downright laughable.

There is nothing about this to take seriously other than the big joke it is.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:26 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Meh, I'm not wrong.

Because if THIS is what gets you to hate the game, you never liked it to begin with.

Let me put it plainly, Bridget is a very minor thing to the game as a whole. Its a fighting game with 21 distinct characters, and an entire cinematic story mode (which she's not even in the story mode).

She is ultimately a very small part of the game and this easily ignorable. If this is the deal-breaker for you, than I'm sorry you didn't like the game to, was never that much of a fan of the series to begin with, and is just looking for any excuse to hate it.

If a character coming out as trans is that much of a problem then the doors right there. We don't need crap in the fanbase.

Would you call the people getting into the game solely because it now has a trans character 'not real fans' as well if they're basing their interest on Bridget? People who do like this change are saying it's kind of a big deal with how their trans friends finally took interest in Guilty Gear because of this news and because "representation matters". It's not a "very minor" issue to those people. So I see no reason why core fans who were into the franchise already cant be turned off by it in the same way, just on the other side.

This all just sounds like sour grapes to me that people are mad that there's folks not happy by this news or praising it. People lose interest in franchises from their favorite character being killed off or something all the time. The mods are apparently not keen on people bringing up other examples so I won't name them specifically, but this is nothing new or unique to this instance. People get turned off or on by what some people may call "minor" things all the time in media because it's not a minor thing to them. It's all relative.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6