• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia Season 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Shigaraki is really rocking that 90s JRPG hero look.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:11 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
I really don't get where the reviewer is coming from with this "scuffed pacing" talk. The pacing in this season has been the best in a long while, and the addition of multiple anime-original scenes just helps that.

While it didn't bother me as much, I agree with the reviewer. Last episode built up a sense of tension and imminent doom that peaked with Shigaraki's awakening, but we don't see the follow-up to that until the third half of today's episode. It felt weird.

But again, I didn't mind as much. I liked the anime-original scenes too. My favourite one was Mirko asking Endeavor if he needed help as she was passing out Laughing
Kirki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:11 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Shigaraki is really rocking that 90s JRPG hero look.

Or the '80s Akira influence. This episode was low-key like watching an Akira remake. Just without motorcycles.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm in the minority, but I'm finding it harder and harder to care about this season. The original characters have been completely sidelined and most of what we've seen so far have been generic shonen-anime fights between characters I just don't care much about.

This show used to stand a bit apart from the shonen crowd because it had an actual human heart. I'm just not getting that at all from season 6.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:
I know I'm in the minority, but I'm finding it harder and harder to care about this season. The original characters have been completely sidelined and most of what we've seen so far have been generic shonen-anime fights between characters I just don't care much about.

I empathize with this some, although I think I don't feel it as strongly as you. I am eager to see the focus on the heroic side swing back more heavily to Deku and company, and it feels like we're slowly seeing how they will become a more central part of the large-scale conflict, but I'm also just kind of ecstatic to see the show doing genuine justice to a villainous threat. It's been a long time since I felt invested in the stakes in MHA.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:35 pm Reply with quote
One thing this series does really well, is handle a load of different separate events at once. Sometimes things like this spend too long on set of events and you loose track of what was happening elsewhere.

Shigaraki has got to be one of the worst villains ever, he doesn't work as a sympathetic villain as he's not at all likeable and he doesn't work as a evil for evils sake villain because he's so boring to listen to. My Heroes version of Tetsuo(anyone else get that impression with the red cape?) at the end of Akira going up against all the Heroes would be more fun if he happened to be the slightest be interesting.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I love how the most important character right now is Manual.

Freaking Manual, a guy who can control water, he can't even create it , just control it, with the worst hero name ever and, on top of all, what he is doing is just keeping another guy's eyes watered so he doesn't blink.

So he is just there pointing at a guy's face and without him doing that every character on this anime would be dead.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:37 pm Reply with quote
It would be pretty wild if Shigaraki realized Manual's importance, feigned an attack on Eraser Head, and then at the last second, as the heroes bunched up to protect him, dodged to the side and rapidly took out Manual.
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:28 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
One thing this series does really well, is handle a load of different separate events at once. Sometimes things like this spend too long on set of events and you loose track of what was happening elsewhere.

Shigaraki has got to be one of the worst villains ever, he doesn't work as a sympathetic villain as he's not at all likeable and he doesn't work as a evil for evils sake villain because he's so boring to listen to. My Heroes version of Tetsuo(anyone else get that impression with the red cape?) at the end of Akira going up against all the Heroes would be more fun if he happened to be the slightest be interesting.

Let's get one thing clear mate. Tomura is not boring. He has a deadly power and his backstory is very traditional. How is melting your whole family boring?!!! He is the anti deku, a dark reflection of the main character. He represents the failure of hero society and now he wants to destroy said society for himself and his league.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:31 am Reply with quote
I dunno; I kind of agree that Tomura doesn't make me feel as viscerally as I'd normally expect from the central antagonist of a show. Not quite sure what the cause of that is; on paper, his background seems pretty well constructed. I think some of his personal motivation was never very compelling to me; it probably would have hit me harder to focus on his personal estrangement from his mother than on his love of heroes and his father's hatred of them; mm, and I feel like some emotional steps were skipped between his basic background and the major trauma where he murdered his family -- it felt to me like it accelerated too quickly and artificially to hit properly. Ultimately his backstory leaves me feeling kind of lukewarm, and the League of Villains arc didn't really do much to change that.

Watching super-Tomura fight is pretty terrifying and fun, though.

re: latest episode, 121 -- yeesh, spoiler[that cliffhanger hurts. And man, that's some real narrative theft from Pinky/Mina. I don't really mind that Boku no Hero usually focuses on its male cast, and am not convinced (at least based on what's been shown in the anime so far) that the author is especially cruel to female characters... but given Gigantomachia was the villain from Mina's past, why not show her working up the resolve to confront and sleep-sauce him? Kirishima's intervention was cool, sure, but it seems narratively less fulfilling to have Kirishima do it instead, especially since so much of Mina's personality and athletic ability makes me expect she'd be quite good at this, and that the only thing holding her back is her trauma/fear.]
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I get that this is also a way for Kirishima to pay back the moment from middle school where Mina inspired him to be a hero.
Especially since we already got Kirishima stepping up to the plate against Rappa thanks to Mina inspiring him to be a hero way back when. It was truly unnecessary to give the win to him instead of her.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:42 am Reply with quote
As someone who agrees that Horikoshi's writing when it comes to female characters is one of MHA's biggest weaknesses, I actually really like what they did with Mina here since a) she was always one of the most confident characters in class 1-A, so I like how they gave her this moment of vulnerability b) this is clearly setting up something for her in the future. Granted, there still hasn't been a follow-up to this in the manga, but I'm positive there will be (and if I'm wrong you can come back here and laugh at me Laughing)
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:14 am Reply with quote
Mina tripping its most probably the only problem I have with this arc, never got the reason.

The only 3 things I can think are:

-Hiro is setting Kirishima and Mina to become a couple, but, there is no reason for Mina to fall for him so maybe that is what this scene is for.

-Mina will do something cooler later to show growth. We have to remember that Mina doesn't have her scar yet, so, she still needs to got through her character development.

-Just an extra scene to show the chaos in the heat of battle and there is no real meaning to it, Hiro could have chosen anybody but choose Mina for the extra emotional punch.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:25 pm Reply with quote
This was seriously frustrating watching them try to deliver those canisters. Gigamach spent almost the entire segment with his mouth wide open roaring and no one could land a single shot into that enormous gaping maw. And then to find out they had howitzers! Since she apparently had the time, why not make grenade launchers to shoot the canisters instead, for better accuracy from a distance? Why couldn't the guy with the vines snake one up in there?

Almost as frustrating was how long it took for Shigaraki to shoot at Aizawa (don't even get me started on the "let the weakened villain talk his way into a second wind before you deliver the finishing blow" trope). I realize we were getting a sort of "bullet time" slo-mo thing for dramatic effect, but it still felt like there was time for Deku to shout a warning or send out one of his energy ropes to grab the barrel or something, since he seemed to have time to have three or four different thoughts about it while things were in motion. What I'm saying is that no matter how you try to explain why he didn't, for dramatic purposes or whatever, the scene didn't work for me. Ymmv.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:47 pm Reply with quote
It was actually no coincidence Deku won Float at that moment, he said before that was the next Quirk he was gonna try to get at the end of last season, that was a couple of in-universe months ago so I suppose he had his training quite advanced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9