• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Swordsmith Village Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minamikaze

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
In all seriousness, it's nice and fitting that Nezuko regained her humanity via the ultimate act of self-sacrifice.

Nezuko did not actually regain her humanity. spoiler[She is still a demon: she still has her fangs and claws. However, she is now the only demon in history that doesn't burn to death when exposed to sunlight. She has regained the power of speech to a limited extent, but her mind does not appear to have been fully restored to what it was before she became a demon.]

Spoiler tag used because the review of the last episode hasn't been posted yet.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Well I finally got an episode I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed. The final twist with the coward demon was actually appropriate to his theme of cowardice and not facing his own demise. The sudden cowards anger raising him to a giant but ultimately being fake and hollow veneer. That is proper literary writing that somehow ended up in demon slayer, I assume by accident.

I still have some logic problems and I said to myself "dont do a flashback!" 2 seconds before they did the coward demons flashback. (They should of waited until after the beheading IMO). Tanjiro is randomly not hampered by and then hampered by his foot injury, that never should of been able to support him at all given the mangled nature of it. He now seems to be able to access any Breathing Techniques just by hearing about it, that was a bit BS. The coward demon should of had no chance being in a giant open field in the middle of sunlight, the writing was really breaking its rules to enable the last moment dilemma. I imagine tanjiro's sword throw from the train arc could of rendered him totally useless in his death throes.

I was actually quite touched by the self sacrifice montage but one small part of me was going, this better not be a fake out Demon Slayer. So as a final word to Demon Slayer: F_ You Demon Slayer. You use fake out narratives too much, it makes your stakes useless.

Also Hurrah Nezuko finally gets to be a character. It would be a shame if she gets boxed until the end now.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:55 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Well I finally got an episode I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed. The final twist with the coward demon was actually appropriate to his theme of cowardice and not facing his own demise. The sudden cowards anger raising him to a giant but ultimately being fake and hollow veneer. That is proper literary writing that somehow ended up in demon slayer, I assume by accident.

I still have some logic problems and I said to myself "dont do a flashback!" 2 seconds before they did the coward demons flashback. (They should of waited until after the beheading IMO). Tanjiro is randomly not hampered by and then hampered by his foot injury, that never should of been able to support him at all given the mangled nature of it. He now seems to be able to access any Breathing Techniques just by hearing about it, that was a bit BS. The coward demon should of had no chance being in a giant open field in the middle of sunlight, the writing was really breaking its rules to enable the last moment dilemma. I imagine tanjiro's sword throw from the train arc could of rendered him totally useless in his death throes.

I was actually quite touched by the self sacrifice montage but one small part of me was going, this better not be a fake out Demon Slayer. So as a final word to Demon Slayer: F_ You Demon Slayer. You use fake out narratives too much, it makes your stakes useless.

Also Hurrah Nezuko finally gets to be a character. It would be a shame if she gets boxed until the end now.

You seem to really dismissed the writing despite it was very much deliberate wrote that way. From Hantengu powerset, how his fight turn out, how he acted and his backstory. Saying it was an accident clearly show your bias against the story.

The flashback have to be there, I never understand the complain because if you put the flashback everywhere else it would be meaningless. The moment Hantengu got his head chop of must also be the moment his backstory come to light completely or else there no cathartic effect. Same with other backstory in the series. Really the complain about flashback in the middle of the fights seem like nonsense since that what most people like most about the manga.

It also not new that people can use every Breaths, people just prefer not to because they just aren't good at those when compare to their own Breaths and they simply do not have the chance to study all the Breaths. Tanjirou is literally best friend with the guy who use Lightning Breaths. Is it too hard to believe they might trade technique tips?
Tsulaa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:45 am Reply with quote
I've read the criticisms in regards to this season as a whole, as well as for some of the individual episodes, & while I recognize the validity of many of them, none of them really harshed my vibe enough to feel any lingering dissatisfaction.

I happened to [mostly] appreciate the long, drawn out fights. For me, it enhanced the feeling of just how near-impossible a task it was to even survive a battle with a demon let alone come out the victor. The tension, while frustrating at times, was enjoyable overall.

That being said, I admit to sometimes thinking that it would have been better if I had chosen to have waited to watch this season, if not to marathon it, then to be able to view multiple episodes in one sitting. I can't deny that it would have lessened my frustration.

As for the demons themselves, rather than being "boring," I thought they heightened that sense of "Daaammn...& these aren't even the OGs!" The feeling of them being filler material did nag at me from time-to-time; however, I figured that that was because they kinda were. The story has yet to conclude. It's still building up to it's Main Boss fight, & as badass as these demons were, none of them were It.

The Nezuko Situation wasn't satisfying, but I don't believe it was supposed to be. We, the viewers, are on the same page as the characters. None of us understands the "Why?" to any of the BIG questions. So, while leaving that itch unscratched has my feathers somewhat ruffled, I believe that I'm in the exact headspace in which it was intended that I be left.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:32 am Reply with quote
I appreciate the drawn out nature of the fights against the upper ranks. These guys were hyped up as unbeatable foes who have never been defeated so the fights should reflect that.

I like how these demons can quickly turn the fight around the moment it seems they are beaten. That said the show could stand to do that a little less but I do love how the little demon suddenly grows the moment he is truly threatened as it really feeds into the idea of him being a total coward, pretending to be weak and defenseless until the very last second.

I'd give the arc a 7/10. Not as good as the last one but not as terrible as the reviewer claims. It has issues but I was still thoroughly entertained by the production values.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:38 am Reply with quote
I don't think the season would feel better for me in marathon form. The pacing problem is apparent even within a single episode, IMO; I found myself checking my watch regularly in the middle of most episodes this season. A binge-watch would just mean doing more of that back-to-back.

EDIT: And, I guess, it's also definitely not just pacing? The dialogue writing in particular is just painfully superficial. It spends so much time narrating events that are self-evident from what is shown on-screen --- it feels like either it was written for an audience the author has no respect for; or, like the author just doesn't know what would be interesting to write about, so settles for narrating point-by-point precisely what is on-screen.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:03 am Reply with quote
Call me weird but I was more engaged and entertained with Swordsmith Village Arc than with Entertainment District Arc and Mugen Train.
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:07 am Reply with quote
this feels like where the mangaka was like shit I have no ideals better rap this up and that's what he did.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:31 am Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Call me weird but I was more engaged and entertained with Swordsmith Village Arc than with Entertainment District Arc and Mugen Train.

Same guy that claimed Vinland Saga S2 was "a downgrade in every way" from S1, btw.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:02 pm Reply with quote
No need to mock me. I have the right to have opinions.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Tsulaa wrote:
That being said, I admit to sometimes thinking that it would have been better if I had chosen to have waited to watch this season, if not to marathon it, then to be able to view multiple episodes in one sitting. I can't deny that it would have lessened my frustration.

As for the demons themselves, rather than being "boring," I thought they heightened that sense of "Daaammn...& these aren't even the OGs!" The feeling of them being filler material did nag at me from time-to-time; however, I figured that that was because they kinda were. The story has yet to conclude. It's still building up to it's Main Boss fight, & as badass as these demons were, none of them were It.

The Nezuko Situation wasn't satisfying, but I don't believe it was supposed to be. We, the viewers, are on the same page as the characters. None of us understands the "Why?" to any of the BIG questions. So, while leaving that itch unscratched has my feathers somewhat ruffled, I believe that I'm in the exact headspace in which it was intended that I be left.

Can confirm, works better as a binge than a week-to-week viewing. I binged it all the way to ep 8 before I had to wait for weekly episodes, and while the season still showed it's slow pacing (in a bad way, imo), it was at least quicker to get through.

For my money, these Upper Ranks didn't feel as threatening as the pair from the Entertainment Arc did, especially the vase dude. The guy with the wood dragon probably would've worked better if we'd seen more of him, but he showed up pretty late to the party, so...eh.

That said, I actually really enjoyed the Nezuko bit for what it said about Tanjiro--the dude is so friggin' nice that he basically freezes at anything resembling a Trolley Problem. I liked having Tanjiro's compassion, usually touted as an unequivocal good in this series, played against him for once, so much so that Nezuko had to give him a literal kick in the pants to get him to do the right thing. Go, Nezuko! Plus, it was nice to see her just overall more engaged this season.

Having written all that, I'm glad we're apparently through the shortest arcs of the series, according to my manga-reading sister. I think season 1, while still running on pathos and spectacle, at least had more material to work with that softened the pacing issues that made the last two seasons, especially this one, such a slog to get through.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:45 pm Reply with quote
And now, enjoy the remaining of the series where you'll be bitching about the pacing being too fast. Smile

From here until the end it's GOGOGOGOOGOGOGO.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:17 pm Reply with quote
There is speculation that the next season will consist entirely of the Hashira training.

@Karl I am sorry to say that I do not find Demon Slayers writing to date to be particularly as clever as that last transformations analogy. Like all his other bodies consisting of a simple themed set of emotion tied to their religious association instead of providing any other actual metaphors or insights in their actions in the show. Past the initial theme of coward running from responsibility. They where designed for combat scenario over writing. And the other upper demon was even more of a simple gimmick of artist twisted by demon point of view.

Thus I reaffirm what I said, I think Demon Slayer acting on that level of visual and story combining was a brief accidental passing moment in the middle of planning its next set of struggles vs power ups. We can disagree on this, that is okay. Also I would have you know that I enjoyed Demon Slayers style for the first season and movie. And I can find moments I liked in the last two seasons. But it keeps using the same fake outs + gimmicks, I can no longer get into it like I did in the past.

The best I can say for it is that it has very clear foreshadowing of what I assume are the whole stories major twists. Even if it fails to provide any proper building context to them. I am interested to see how close I will get to it.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:51 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Same guy that claimed Vinland Saga S2 was "a downgrade in every way" from S1, btw.

He's not wrong, though.
theEugAbides

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:21 pm Reply with quote
About as u can say it but dude your gonna hate the next arc cause it's just gonna be a training regimen
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11