• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FLCL and Toonami.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy26

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:31 am Reply with quote
I have been pretty vocal with my displeasure of Cartoon Network's Toonami block recently. I do appreciate the ANN readers who provided me some context and explained the situation the best they understood it. Clearly licensing Anime is more of a challenging proposition then I anticipated and am thankful for anything they can get to air.

The question that was still bothering me though was this "Why can't they rebroadcast stuff they had already shown before?". I'm sure there are limitations to how many times they can show something they license and if someone else outbids them for the content later, well, I can see how that leads to the sparse content they have now.

The recent schedule however holds some hope for me, a self confirmed FLCL addict. When I seen that after the rerun of " My Adventures With Superman" (meh) and "Dr. Stone" (annoying but has it's moments), they are going to show FLCL episode one 'Fooly Cooly'. Hopefully this will be a six week run of the original series, providing my mind with the novacaine it craves, the technicolor dreamscape that is Mabase city.

If you have heard of this series but never had an opportunity to catch it then I can't recommend a better time to do so. Here is how I would suggest you watch it. First your gonna want a CRT television, you gotta get that space cadet glow on your face. If you were born after 1990 ask your parents if they still have one in the garage, its probably the thing all the old newspapers are piled up on. Second: buy a tent and set it up in your living room. Not really anything here but if your willing to go with the TV thing then I figured I'd see how far we could take it.

Listen, FLCL is not for everyone. The only people who can really get it are those who were born young and had to grow up at some point. If you've ever had a crush in life then FLCL is about you. If you have ever felt like everyone else on this planet was against you, then FLCL can share your burden. If you drank Crystal Pepsi in 1991 and can remember the Van Halen "Right Now" commercials. . . just watch it already, it's only six little episodes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1