• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Snack Basue (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:34 am Reply with quote
Y'know, Morita is a crazy character. Sometimes he's earnestly pathetic and I feel sorry for him, but then he becomes legitimately creepy enough that I don't feel at all guilty for laughing when he gets used as the show's punching bag. Whoever the voice actor is, he's doing some golden work here.

There's a reason Akemi is in every episode. She's a great sounding board for all these weirdos because she's unflappable, but at the same time, she can say any random or unfiltered thing because it's an established part of her character by now. She doesn't really seem malicious so much as completely living in that surface layer of thought where we think things, and then common sense or compassion or social awareness kicks in before we say them out loud.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Akemi-chan is best girl. And this show is freakin' hilarious. I wish we had late night snack bars like this where I live so I could go and get verbally abused by a big tiddy hostess. *sigh* Japanese dudes are so lucky...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:05 am Reply with quote
The isekai commentary was back in bizarre territory, but I kinda liked it, if only because I'm an isekai whor(cough) connoisseur. And I'm sort of loosely referring to a comment over in another thread about guild receptionists, but I'd kinda like to see Akemi go to another world and become a guild receptionist. That'd be hilarious.

The last segment where Morita and bad hair-do man got into it kind of reminded me of those office episodes where Dwight and Andy squared off.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:12 am Reply with quote
Yes, I'm going to continue soldiering on, bravely manning this post even if I'm the last survivor at an arctic outpost.

I just wanna say...last weeks episode wasn't as bad as the episode 3 derailment, but it was kind of meh. This week's episode might be my favorite. An All Morita, all the time episode with one tiny intermission. The show's uneven in quality (and sometimes tone), but even during the off episodes, it's bringing something to the table that's different from the other anime out there, and I've developed enough genuine affection for these characters that I don't feel inclined to drop it. Even the occasionally awful karaoke numbers at the end seem to help build a low pressure vibe of people just hanging out instead of being annoying to me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Not so fast, Chuckles, you aren't in this gig alone. By the way, I enjoyed episode 6's isekai tangent. I love that this show can go to very weird places. But yeah, this week confirmed it for me: the Morita bits are the best. The writers must have a gas coming up with new ways to show off his grossness. His admission that he jacks it to yearbook pix is a new low... or high, depending on how you look at it. I love the episode ending karaoke bits because they seem to be actual old songs complete with what I think were the original videos for them. Plus, where can I get a copy of one of Douglas Hamada's books???

Oh, I also chuckled hard when they went meta and acknowledged that "nobody overseas" was going to understand a certain boob-groping reference. Oo-oo and Pretty Boy's version of being "bullied" by girls... classic!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:46 am Reply with quote
Oh, hey pard. I thought I'd lost you last week. And here I was ready to start drawing faces on volleyballs Wink

Just one of the things that impresses me about the voice actor doing Morita is that during the episode where the actor was singing Mortia's original song, it was clear (for the first time) that the actor didn't really share Morita's accent. I think Akemi called it a fake Kanjei accent in one episode. But the intonations and timing are hilarious even if I don't understand the language.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:22 am Reply with quote
Something I don’t think gets enough mention from me is how much of a babe Akemi is. Blonde rhino horn hairdo aside the girl’s got a slamming bod. I may have to go full Morita to her one of these nights if you catch my drift.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Yah, Akemi is awesome. As a comedy character, I like the way she can glide between cheerful sadism, common sense, and moments of empathy, and you never know which one you're going to get.

Another character I think might get overlooked is Yamata, the perpetual everyman. It would be easy to assume it's an easy part since he's basically the conventional straight man and every 4th line is him repeating whatever ridiculous thing someone else just said. But I think it's probably a lot harder to be a good comic foil than people realize. He's always low key amusing instead of annoying, at least to me, and he kind of gives the other characters freer rein to go way out there because he's grounding the scene. I always feel like this guy is trapped in his own bland life, and he's secretly enjoying the weirdness while being genuinely shocked and dismayed by that fact at the same time, and that's funny to watch..
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. Yamada is the closest thing to an audience stand-in... the one character you can look at and go, "wow, what would it be like to actually be among this pack of weirdos."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

The first and second segments of this week's episode had me convinced that somebody from Pop Team Epic had to be involved in this but apparently not. As part of my research, I went back and read the Preview Guide comments on this show. The four previewers uniformly didn't like it and I can't blame them. It's too bad the first episode happened to be the least accessible one for non-Japanese viewers because I feel like show became funnier after that. Oh well.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Yah, I think I might be the only person who's publicly stated "I liked the first episode lots" and somehow, I don't think this is generally considered a testament to my refined and discriminating anime tastes. In fact, I liked the first episode more than episode 8, though it's not like I actively disliked episode 8. It was interesting seeing the new hire finally get to display some signs of a distinct and flawed personality. and Morita being a bit more subdued once he was out of his Akemi-abuse comfort zone.

I don't mind the other genre visitors in small doses, but as for me, I prefer the cozy, small bar vibe episodes to the ones with lots of self-aware meta stuff. Not that I wouldn't be open to an anime about a bar between worlds with a bunch of weirdo fantasy and sci-fi regulars. That could be awesome. It would be even more awesome if characters from shows like Konosuba or One Punch Man showed up occasionally. .

Which, just to be clear, wouldn't be the same thing as another restaurant between worlds anime featuring a bunch of short stories all ending in a food-gasm.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:14 am Reply with quote
Yknow, I haven't watched a lot of hentai (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) so this might be a naive statement, but I have to say, this anime has officially spent more time talking about a character jerking off than any anime I've ever watched before. That said, the pathetic Morita bits are still my favorite.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

I would not be able to last three days with Akemi-chan around. If this show ever gets a physical release (heh), I hope one of the special features is getting to see all these cheesy music videos we catch glimpses of at the end.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:29 am Reply with quote
It makes me think of that Seinfeld "Master of My Domain" episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Ouch. That was a 0 out of 3 for me, meaning that all the segments tanked. The only saving grace was that the customary cheesy ending song was also kind of naughty. A lot of the writing felt like the writers got together and said, "okay, we've got 5 minutes to deadline: go!" Oh well, they can't all be polished gems, I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4