• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manganews.net confirms Libre/CPM dispute

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Well the fact that Libre is making noise on the internet means that they are prob in the right. If Libre was wrong, then they'd be in for some legal trouble and their lawyers would have advised them beforehand.

Also, CPM has not said one thing since this started.

I still think that this is the F.Y.E scenario.
ralphmerridew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I think the only thing you should read from CPM's silence is that they'd rather try this in the courts than in the press.

For example, it could be that:
- CPM has a solid case, so public statements can gain little and risk much.
or
- CPM is unsure where they stand, and is holding off comment until their legal team can ascertain their standing.
or
- CPM has nothing, and is trying to bluff things out until Libre makes an error.
or any other number of possibilities.
leongsh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
People are just jumping to conclusions that just because one party announces something about a legal dispute and that there is no PR response from the other party, it would mean the one voicing the dispute is in the right. That's immature thinking. When a legal dispute arises, there's nothing much to gain from public statements except PR. An example of PR bluster that has come back to haunt the party that was doing all the blustering is the SCO claiming that they own Linux and their legal action against IBM. IBM has been quiet on PR but building their case in court and now coming to fruition. See SCO getting their just desserts in court as their case is shown for what it is - nothing.

Let's leave it to the respective legal teams to resolve this. CPM's legal team may be working on something in response and by being quiet, CPM is behaving responsibly in my books in relation to this dispute. Libre is just shouting from the rooftops to bring attention to the issue but whether they really have a case or not, there's nothing to indicate one way or another.

End the speculation of looking for a villain or looking at CPM as doing something illegal. Only those truly privy to what's really happening know what it is all about.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:02 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

But using F.Y.E as a recent example, they don't have to honor it until the previous contract agreement expires. F.Y.E quickly converted the patrons of Suncoast and the other companies to their system and basically told the remaining that didn't "Oh well". It didn't matter how much time you had left in the other programs. It was convert by this time but we'll give you "X" to make it less painful or you're SOL.

I think we're not following the same logic here.

Say I bought Several $100 Gift Certificates. Now let's say that company goes into Chapter 11. They eventually get taken over by another company and start going again.

That company still has to honor my old GC's since their still a liability of the company. Just because the old company goes out of buisness doesn't essentially erase the debt.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

But using F.Y.E as a recent example, they don't have to honor it until the previous contract agreement expires. F.Y.E quickly converted the patrons of Suncoast and the other companies to their system and basically told the remaining that didn't "Oh well". It didn't matter how much time you had left in the other programs. It was convert by this time but we'll give you "X" to make it less painful or you're SOL.

I think we're not following the same logic here.

Say I bought Several $100 Gift Certificates. Now let's say that company goes into Chapter 11. They eventually get taken over by another company and start going again.

That company still has to honor my old GC's since their still a liability of the company. Just because the old company goes out of buisness doesn't essentially erase the debt.

Wrong at least in that case. The stores that went into backruptcy were taken over by an intermediate. The intermediate did not honor the coupons. The remaining stores that switched over gave you a certain amount of time to switch over to the new F.Y.E. program or it was SOL. Even then you had a certain amount of time to use the existing certificates up. Expiration date on that certificate or your existing program didn't matter. So, I say that there's more to the bankruptcy law that you guys think and that CPM may still be in the same situation as the patrons of Media Play and Suncoast were with F.Y.E.

@leongsh and ralphmerridew:

Issuing a public statement is what companies do to ease investors and other business partners' concerns. They've been silent for longer than they should. They eventually have to say something to defend themselves. They are being accused of piracy. This is not a minor thing here. (If you really want to be pessimistic, they could be looking at a civil suit and a government case imo.) The fact that Libre can issue statements without a rebuttal from CPM means that they actually may be right in this. If they weren't truthful in their allegations, then they couldn't do this in public without worries of a suit. or problems with their investors and partners.

But I do agree that waiting and see how this works out is the best.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Issuing a public statement is what companies do to ease investors and other business partners' concerns. They've been silent for longer than they should. They eventually have to say something to defend themselves. They are being accused of piracy. This is not a minor thing here. (If you really want to be pessimistic, they could be looking at a civil suit and a government case imo.) The fact that Libre can issue statements without a rebuttal from CPM means that they actually may be right in this. If they weren't truthful in their allegations, then they couldn't do this in public without worries of a suit. or problems with their investors and partners.

You might be correct... if CPM was a public company (which they are not). And truth be known, most of their investors and business partners are not anime fans and are not primarily in the anime business, and therefore they're not paying attention to this at all. Unless something like this hits the mainstream media (fat chance), there's no point in CPM addressing it because they'd be doing more harm to themselves than good.

It's the policy of most businesses, public or private, to not comment on impending or ongoing litigation anyway.

I don't know any more about this specific case than anybody else here, but I am quite familiar with CPM's management style, and my GUESS here is that CPM is 100% in the legal right, but Libre might have a good reason for at least being annoyed. As a media professional who works in international rights on a daily basis, I have to say Libre's posts come across as very unprofessional to me (immature and whiny, even) and their behavior here makes me hesitant to do business with them.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
All that aside, should ANN really be linking to Manganews? They offer links to scanlations. I thought that was against ANN's policy...
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:22 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Wrong at least in that case. The stores that went into backruptcy were taken over by an intermediate. The intermediate did not honor the coupons. The remaining stores that switched over gave you a certain amount of time to switch over to the new F.Y.E. program or it was SOL. Even then you had a certain amount of time to use the existing certificates up. Expiration date on that certificate or your existing program didn't matter. So, I say that there's more to the bankruptcy law that you guys think and that CPM may still be in the same situation as the patrons of Media Play and Suncoast were with F.Y.E.

Um, your wrong. It's still an existing liability of the company, and they have to honor it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2