• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: VIZ Media Presents Exciting Properties at 2007 MIPTV

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:11 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
CloverKuroba wrote:
I think Viz liscensed only the first season for now...they might' want to see how well it does before getting the second...

It'd feel somewhat empty for them not to release the sequel. Yeah, on its own, the first H&C is satisfactory with its finale, but the second season wraps up everything nicely in a neat little bow on the box (and inside is an adorable Hagu doll... OH DEAR GOD PLEASE VIZ CONSIDER THAT AS AN EXTRA).

I just want a freakin' box, the opening and closing themes translated, and good audio and visual work done and I'll be satisfied beyond the bare minimum. I've only checked out two DVDs from Viz over the years (Key the Metal Idol and Saikano), and I wasn't exactly chipper with both.

I'll take what I can get, but I'd rather Geneon have picked this one up.

I've seen the japanese DVD covers and they're really, really nice. Plus, they come with some goodies...I really wish Viz could use those covers...and I wouldn't mind getting a Hagu doll either (Hagu is adorable!).
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
Well my understanding is that Ouran has been licensed. There were several reports from NY Comicon where couple of companies were asked to license Ouran - to which their reply was that they had tried to, but someone had already beaten them to it. Why this licensor would sit on the announcement is beyond me, but oh well, wait and see what happens.

Yeah, I've heard that rumor buzzing around, but I tend to not believe anything until it has an official announcement (and even in some of those cases, skepticism is still not a bad idea, though thankfully that is a rarity).
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Indeed. I'm inclined to believe this one, but before an official announcement it won't actually mean anything. But as you said, this should be pretty much a guaranteed seller, it's really a no-brainer that someone will do it sooner or later.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:

Well my understanding is that Ouran has been licensed. There were several reports from NY Comicon where couple of companies were asked to license Ouran - to which their reply was that they had tried to, but someone had already beaten them to it. Why this licensor would sit on the announcement is beyond me, but oh well, wait and see what happens.

Any convention talk outside of an official announcement is purely for entertainment value. Don't take any of that seriously.

There would be some explanations as to why a license hasn't been announced if the title were licensed, though - a proper marketing campaign is especially of note. Given the high-status of the title, it'll probably get something crazy like Haruhi.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I feel the same way, really. "high-brow" anime/manga seems to be so rare that people are prepared to shower the scace few with praise, but I think despite the hype Honey & Clover, Nodame Cantabile, and 20th Century Boys are really mediocre titles, not terrible but totally undeserving of their acclaimed status.

How are any of those titles high-brow? Middle, yes (though 20th flirts with a lot of low-brow manga conventions) but give me one good reason why any of those three titles could be considered high-brow. Being well-written/having three dimensional characters does not equal being artsy.

Quote:

There would be some explanations as to why a license hasn't been announced if the title were licensed, though - a proper marketing campaign is especially of note. Given the high-status of the title, it'll probably get something crazy like Haruhi.

Nothing is ever going to reach the level of that monster. I mean I like the show and all but the kind of obsession it has inspired is just ridiculous. Ouran is popular but I can't imagine it's THAT popular.

Quote:

Brandish thou's whip against the truly uber-popular titles which have practically no literary merit that get post after post in forums and thousands leeching each episode off bittorrent, not niche ones that are outside the norm and popular on the Internet for English-language speakers.

Come on dude, you should not to try to understand MT's tastes. And I don't think him and Steven will call it quits (certainly makes for fun reading).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:26 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
kolibri wrote:

Yeah, I've heard that rumor buzzing around, but I tend to not believe anything until it has an official announcement (and even in some of those cases, skepticism is still not a bad idea, though thankfully that is a rarity).
No kidding. For instance, anyone who believed the Da Capo announcement from 2004 has been waiting a long time with no results.
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:59 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

I can see it now: live-action commercials promoting the Ouran Host Club; with weekly discounts Laughing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2