• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introductions / Meet ANN / Tell us about Yourself (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerninja666

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Hey everyone. I've been in kind of a depressed lull lately so I decided to register here to see if I can gain info on anime and stuff.

I'm still on a quest to find an anime that can replace Code Geass in my heart.

I'm notoriously hard to please. In almost all respects. I'm known amongst my friends as a man of impossibly high standards. Eh, I'll just have to see.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Then we just have to get you to watch something so awful that most shows are great in comparison.

Welcome to the forum gingerninja666.
born2die

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
Since I plan to stay in this forum, I figured it would be a good idea to post my introduction:

Name: Ignas

Sex: Male

Marital status: Single

Drink/Smoke: Neither

Favorite anime: Puella Magi Madoka Magica, RahXephon, Monster

Favorite manga: Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa, SaiKano

Favorite visual novel: Saya no Uta

Favorite books: Quinn's Ishmael, Orwell's 1984

Favorite sport (to watch): Soccer

Favorite sport (to play): Swimming, mountain biking

Hobbies: Besides what I've already listed; playing chess, watching documentary films

Pictures:
Me and my dog:
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4812/picture097f.jpg
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/729/picture104tn.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7703/picture109bv.jpg

Overall, there's nothing really special about my life. I play the clarinet and I plan to do that for living. Before you say anything (something along the lines of "it must be boring"), here's an example of how awesome clarinet music can be:
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelhankim/videos (I love this guy)

Why would someone call an instrument boring? It's probably more talent then they could handle.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
[edit]

Last edited by Ignatz on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:11 am; edited 4 times in total
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote
It's alright. Welcome to the site buddies.
DynastKing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
It's a pleasure, I have a feeling that I will be enjoying my time spent on here, seems like everybody is wonderfully fun and intriguing.

Name: Cody is my given name.

Sex: Male

Marital Status: Single

Ethnicity: 1/3 english, 1/3 native american (mohawk to be exact) and 1/3 Irish.

Drink/Smoke: I quit smoking about 2 years ago after 7 years of chain smoking, and I enjoy drinking every other weekend or so.

Likes: Writing, reading, working, psychology, music, wood carving, and a wide range of other fairly useless subjects.

Favorite anime: Pandora Hearts, Dantalian No Shoka, Another, Durarara, Chrome Shelled Regios, Steins Gate, Darker Than Black, Elemental Gelade, Sword Art Online, Shinsekai Yori and Zetsuen No Tempest. So many others but these are the top of the top.

Favorite Books: Circle of Magic quartet, circle opens quartet, Will of the Empress, Speak, The Tempest, Almost all short stories by Edgar Allan Poe, Inkspell, Inkheart, and Inkdeath. Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.

Favorite games: My favorite game of all time is Final Fantasy IV for the snes, (I still have my game cartridge) since it was my first rpg and I was completely engrossed in it for years. I lost track of how many times I had played and beaten it.
Nowadays though Final Fantasy XII is my favorite to play in the world of rpgs, beautiful graphics and a very unique gameplay that I just can't get over. Plus the variety of optional bosses and hunts to defeat is just wonderful. Other rpgs include Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, Vagrant Story and FF9.

For shooters I enjoy Borderlands 1 and 2.

Favorite TV shows/Movies: V for Vendetta is my absolute favorite movie. I enjoy the Spartacus series as well.

Favorite Drink: I've never been particular with my alcohol, but I suppose when it comes to liquor my favorite would be Honey Jack with Dr Pepper/pepsi. Favorite beer is red stripe.

Non-Alcoholic Drink: I drink nothing but water really, but I guess I enjoy my coffee as well. (black)

Favorite Sites: IHeartChaos, Amazon, ANN, KingdomHearts3.org.

Favorite Sport (to watch): I can't sit still and watch any sport, of any kind. It's next to impossible. It's not that I dislike sports, I just don't want to sit down and watch it for hours.

Favorite Sport (to play): Basketball is my favorite sport, I'm 6'4" so I tend to have an advantage with it.

Favorite Music: I don't dislike any music, I listen to it all, except hiphop... but metal is my favorite genre out of the rest.

Job: I work at a hospital in the cafeteria during the day, and I work at Kraft foods overnights.

Hobbies: Writing, Reading, wood carving, basketball, biking, carpentry.

Favorite Quotes: “Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all.”

“While a truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power.”
“Noise is relative to the silence preceeding it. The more absolute the hush, the more shocking the thunderclap."
- All from V For Vendetta.

"Hell is empty
And all the devils are here" - The Tempest

"For me, poor man, my library was dukedom enough" - The Tempest

"The time is out of joint: O cursed spite,
That ever I was born to set it right!" - Hamlet

"We are born, so to speak, twice over; born into existence, and born into life"
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Well that's all I can really think of, nice to meet all of you. I'm gonna go explore the forums, I think.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Welcome DynastKing! Our tastes are very similar, looks like we will get along famously. I also enjoyed V for Vendetta, anything by Tamora Pierce, Inkspell, and over half the anime you listed.

I see some of your favorite quotes are from Hamlet and The Tempest, and one of your favorite anime is Blast of Tempest. Did you watch the show because of the Shakespeare references, or did you try reading Shakespeare after watching the show?
DynastKing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, I hope we can get along as well. That's wonderful, I rarely ever meet anyone who has even heard of Tamora Pierce, to be honest. Does your username happen to have anything to do with her Circle books?

Well I had already read Hamlet and several of his other works, but I actually had never read The Tempest until I started watching Blast of Tempest, and when I heard some of the quotes they used I decided to read that next. Instantly I fell in love with it, as I did with most of Shakespeares work.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
DynastKing wrote:
That's wonderful, I rarely ever meet anyone who has even heard of Tamora Pierce, to be honest. Does your username happen to have anything to do with her Circle books?
Yes, indeed! Tris was my favorite character of the Circle books. I relate to her a lot, and am a complete bookworm just like her C= The '8' is just because it is my luck number.

DynastKing wrote:
Well I had already read Hamlet and several of his other works, but I actually had never read The Tempest until I started watching Blast of Tempest, and when I heard some of the quotes they used I decided to read that next. Instantly I fell in love with it, as I did with most of Shakespeares work.
Cool. Ya, Shakespeare's a pretty amazing guy. I didn't care much for Romeo and Juliet, but his poetry, humor, and allusions have always wowed me. He has quite the way with words.
supernova99

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote
Name: Nova

Sex: Female

Blood Type: B

Marital Status: Single

Ethnicity: Chinese

Religion: Raised Buddhist but now I consider myself "spiritual but not religious"

Pets: 1 cat

Drink/Smoke: Drink socially, don't smoke

Dislikes: gossip

Favorite anime: Doraemon! And a bunch of others that I watched growing up but were dubbed so I'm still trying to find out their original Japanese titles.

Favorite Books: Anne Rice's Chronicles of the Mayfair Witches

Favorite game: Fallout 4, Uncharted

Favorite TV shows/Movies: Parks & Rec, Game of Thrones, The Newsroom

Favorite Drink: Bourbon with one ice cube...but for health these days, gin and soda

Non-Alcoholic Drink: cappuccino

Favorite Foods: Anything with carbs

Favorite Sport (to watch): Don't watch sports :/

Favorite Sport (to play): Don't play any!

Favorite Music: My taste is all over the place

Job: Business strategist

Hobbies: drawing, painting, writing, comedy

Favorite Quotes: "Intellectuals fix problems. Geniuses prevent them."
Deathnid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:00 am Reply with quote
Well, Im a 16 y/o Australian and have just started to get into anime,
I get so indulged in most animes i watch and get clinically depressed whenever they end. I really loved Cowboy bebop, Haruhi suzumiya and Sword art online and im looking for something good in that action/romace kind of genre with a good rich plot and good charecter development.
also has anybody read the SAO manga/ light novels? I want to know if its worth a try
Pamachu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
OK, so here's the deal:

I'm what you'd call one of those old, cranky veterans, a relic from the VHS boom of the 90s who got into this whole anime thing before there was even a faint tickle of mainstream acceptance. I became an anime and manga fan at the age of fourteen, way back in the mid-nineties. Needless to say, that makes me something of an old-timer... and it probably doesn't help that I have an unnatural predilection for old-school stuff (think 70's and 80's, with a dash of 60's thrown in for good measure).

Since then, my fandom has wavered in and out like a shortwave radio signal; it comes in spurts and I've oscillated wildly from casual consumer to rabid fanboy to disinterested above-it-all a-hole with no warning whatsoever. Lately, I've wanted to reconnect with the world of anime and manga... a world that brought me a great deal of joy way back when I was a lonely, sadsack teenager. I never got into the convention circuit, since I grew up in the deep, deep south and was kind of a lonely, perpetually isolated fanboy with nobody to share my enthusiasm with. Instead, I lived vicariously through the newsgroups and online forums, chatting with convention hounds and scoring the occasional VHS copy of fandubs (still have my Star Dipwads videotape... somewhere). I was also spent an inordinate amount of time in the old Animeigo chatroom.

Even now, I mostly stick with the older material... although I do occasionally delve into the newer stuff, from time to time. And I'm trying desperately to get with the times. Or rather, catch up on all the stuff that came out when I abandoned the anime and manga scene way back in... oh, I don't know, sometime after college, I guess? I still can't make heads or tails of this newfangled world of fandom, but I'm trying to learn.

Anyway, hope that works as a proper introduction.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Pamachu wrote:
OK, so here's the deal:

I'm what you'd call one of those old, cranky veterans, a relic from the VHS boom of the 90s who got into this whole anime thing before there was even a faint tickle of mainstream acceptance. I became an anime and manga fan at the age of fourteen, way back in the mid-nineties. Needless to say, that makes me something of an old-timer... and it probably doesn't help that I have an unnatural predilection for old-school stuff (think 70's and 80's, with a dash of 60's thrown in for good measure).

Since then, my fandom has wavered in and out like a shortwave radio signal; it comes in spurts and I've oscillated wildly from casual consumer to rabid fanboy to disinterested above-it-all a-hole with no warning whatsoever. Lately, I've wanted to reconnect with the world of anime and manga... a world that brought me a great deal of joy way back when I was a lonely, sadsack teenager. I never got into the convention circuit, since I grew up in the deep, deep south and was kind of a lonely, perpetually isolated fanboy with nobody to share my enthusiasm with. Instead, I lived vicariously through the newsgroups and online forums, chatting with convention hounds and scoring the occasional VHS copy of fandubs (still have my Star Dipwads videotape... somewhere).

Even now, I mostly stick with the older material... although I do occasionally delve into the newer stuff, from time to time. And I'm trying desperately to get with the times. Or rather, catch up on all the stuff that came out when I abandoned the anime and manga scene way back in... oh, I don't know, sometime after college, I guess? I still can't make heads or tails of this newfangled world of fandom, but I'm trying to learn.

Anyway, hope that works as a proper introduction.
Welcome, I hope you find that inspiration. Honestly though you come off way older than you actually are. You're still a young'un by my standards. Robotech was the new thing when I was 14. And I was already almost done with college before Tenchi was even created. But I don't view the old stuff in the same light as you. It's gone, a forgotten realm forever exiled to the dust heap of useless memories. Sure I reminisce from time to time, but I find nothing special or noteworthy about being an anime fan of that era. I may have lived something newer fans might envy in a way, but I am a fan of today's anime only.

I love the new styles, the memes and the culture unique only to the internet age, loli infused fanservice and flashy idol-centered fandom. I love that anime at its essence has always had the same design qualities even though it's gone from paper and ink to a completely digital canvas. I would have been very sad if technology actually caused anime to become something completely different with a new look, but it's only been refined and improved in its visualization. That's why I respect the past but don't dwell in it and am the same person now as the person I'd be if I only discovered anime just a few years ago.
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:00 am Reply with quote
Pamachu, what I'm going to say is mildly off topic and extremely nerdy. For that I apologize. Nevertheless, you wrote that your fandom has in and out like a shortwave radio signal. If it's alright for me to ask, how are you familiar with shortwave radio? Are you a shortwave listener?

I've mentioned here before that I'm actually an avid listener of shortwave radio broadcasts, hence my question. I actually used to love to tune into NHK World Radio Japan when it offered featurettes on anime for that matter.
Pamachu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Past wrote:
Welcome, I hope you find that inspiration. Honestly though you come off way older than you actually are. You're still a young'un by my standards. Robotech was the new thing when I was 14. And I was already almost done with college before Tenchi was even created. But I don't view the old stuff in the same light as you. It's gone, a forgotten realm forever exiled to the dust heap of useless memories. Sure I reminisce from time to time, but I find nothing special or noteworthy about being an anime fan of that era. I may have lived something newer fans might envy in a way, but I am a fan of today's anime only.

I love the new styles, the memes and the culture unique only to the internet age, loli infused fanservice and flashy idol-centered fandom. I love that anime at its essence has always had the same design qualities even though it's gone from paper and ink to a completely digital canvas. I would have been very sad if technology actually caused anime to become something completely different with a new look, but it's only been refined and improved in its visualization. That's why I respect the past but don't dwell in it and am the same person now as the person I'd be if I only discovered anime just a few years ago.

Like I said, I am trying to make a concerted effort to watch some of the newer stuff. I really want to know what's out there... and what I've missed. I've kept up with things somewhat sporadically, viewing the "must see" newer titles as they came out (in addition to the retro throwbacks that were more in my wheelhouse than... ahem... other titles). I should mention, however, that my preference for older titles isn't steeped in misguided nostalgia or anything. I generally just prefer the shows that were produced in the past (again, most of my favorites -- Yamato, Rose of Versailles, etc. -- came out way before I became a fan. I'll probably always gravitate to older anime and manga, much like a certain cinephiles will dedicate the majority of his or her time watching classic Hollywood. But like I said, I'm open to anything. If it's good, I'll watch/read it.

vashna wrote:

Pamachu, what I'm going to say is mildly off topic and extremely nerdy. For that I apologize. Nevertheless, you wrote that your fandom has in and out like a shortwave radio signal. If it's alright for me to ask, how are you familiar with shortwave radio? Are you a shortwave listener?

I've mentioned here before that I'm actually an avid listener of shortwave radio broadcasts, hence my question. I actually used to love to tune into NHK World Radio Japan when it offered featurettes on anime for that matter.

Alas, my experience with shortwave radio is extremely limited! I was just using that is a colorful simile. But now I'm curious and would like to know more!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 187 of 233