• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Santa Claus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:39 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Cicatriz wrote:
Well, at least My Santa is to the point. I mean, what else does a harem anime need other than a virgin, 5+ women and hot springs? Two episodes covers it.

Seconded.

I mean, saying "You have absolutely no reason to waste your time and money with this garbage" just makes his fans want to watch it more. Not to mention the High and Mighty attitude towards anything fun. But at least the track record is intact; what she hates is buried gold to me.

I wasn't really defending ti. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I really don't care for harem anime, to be honest. I though Love Hina was ok, and of course I love Tenchi, but other than that, it's not my thing.

I was just saying that My Santa seems to have grinded down all of harem anime down to exactly what it essentially is. Whether that's a good or a bad thing, I can't say.

[No. Wait. I say bad. Harem - Character Development = Nooo Thanks.]
Pocky_aDDict

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:03 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Maybe people will buy it if we mention that Aya Hirano voices Mai, the main "Santa" of the show... lol

Not only that, but it's probably the first anime that shows off her signature double octave voice work.
There's also Kobayashi "Gahaku" Yuu voice an ojousama/iinchou-like character.

I'll get it since the price tag ain't so bad.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:15 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Quote:
plenty of exposed butt-crack.

Laughing

I found Burst Angel to be fairly entertaining, so I might get this, but it won't be anytime soon.

Could you tell us how long the "The Lightness and Darkness of Jo" is though?

Couldn't be worse then Sei in the tv series with her boobs popping out of that "bathing suit" she was wearing. Though she did have more personality then Meg at least i thought. I have it on the way from netflix myself so I'll be sure to check out the "Jo extra" before shipping it back. Sounds like renting it though was the better choice.
Asako

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:18 am Reply with quote
I bought My Santa today and watched it during lunch with my boyfriend. I can't say it was terrible and it is quite to the point with it's objective as far as story goes. And of course it's not an anime to take seriously. Expect fan service, expect things to be pointless. I like those little epilogues in the end of each episode Anime smile. Not to mention the preview of episode 3 which doesn't seem to exist. If you try to interpret just what happens in that episode it's pretty funny (for a minute or two).

Terrible? Maybe. But I thought it was fun. People who don't like those harem anime should probably stay clear of it though Anime smile + sweatdrop
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:00 am Reply with quote
The harem series is well and truly a specific and acquired taste, especially something like My Santa which is as minimalist as an anime of that genre can get. Even though character development would be pretty weak in something as short as this, Aya Hirano's name in the credits, as well as its very length would make this a tempting watch...

What? SRWOG: Divine Wars's first volume got released already? Awesome, if not for the price. To be honest, this is one series whose licensing is pretty much unbelievable: it's 20-something episodes of pure unadulterated fanservice for SRW fans. Unbelievable that it got licensed, but if anything, it does look pretty and shiny (especially the mecha, as some character designs look a bit off).
kakitamike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:33 am Reply with quote
I thought My Santa was funny. I agree with the rest of the pseudo-review. Although I wasn't expecting something on par with the christmas episode of Love Hina either. I'm not sure how you can compare a 55 minute standalone movie to a movie that has 25 episodes of back-story to build character development, to begin with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Maybe people will buy it if we mention that Aya Hirano voices Mai, the main "Santa" of the show... lol

That's initially why I wanted to buy the OVA. But I heard that her performance was easily her weakest effort (along with the rest of the cast) so it kind of dampened my enthusiasm for watching this title.
reversethief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote
Oooh, that review of My Santa made my day! HILARIOUS! One of my friends actually picked up this title (Lord, know why), now I have to watch it.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
fxg97873 wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Does your trashing of a Ken Akamatsu anime mean you'll be the one who gets fired next? Rolling Eyes

Who got fired?

mk2000

It's still a rumor, yet everyone treats it like fact...

Gamespot was running a big ad campaign for Kane & Lynch, the guy who reviewed it completely trashed the game in his review, he got fired.

So, people are speculating that Eidos threatened to pull the ADs unless the dude got fired for his review.

But, due to privacy, no one can say why the guy got fired. I really think if he had gotten fired for that reason, he would be pissed and say it was over the review, without caring about consequences.

While I wouldn't doubt the fact that it's true, it IS still a rumor and people keep spreading it the moment they can.

Quote:
transformation scene where the girl's tits balloon 5x their original size

Is that like UFO Valkyrie in the way that they're flat chested lolis who grow large breasts, or do they already have large breasts that become sickenly huge?
Egrimm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Is that like UFO Valkyrie in the way that they're flat chested lolis who grow large breasts, or do they already have large breasts that become sickenly huge?
Nah, moderately developed teen A cup or so (long time since I saw it, but definitely not loli) to well endowed D-E cup or so.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote
man....talk about "Bah!! Humbug!!!" review for My Santa....

i'm sure fans get it because they're fans, not because they expect great storyline...including myself...

i've seen Chris' collection before...an article where he showed how he moved to his new home...

i don't like to put stuff in the boxes because even with cataloguing, SOMETHING will be forgotten at some point...

there's no way i can catch up to his collection because i don't have very broad taste in anime and manga like he does....

p.s. i see he also has Steel Battalion for Xbox!!! i still play that once in a while...fun game!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
i'm sure fans get it because they're fans, not because they expect great storyline...including myself...

I don't get it. You know it has nothing but mindless fanservice(yes I'll watch and in most cases like fanservice) and situations you've seen done 20 times before and better with characters you actually knew. Using the word fan here just seems like a cover for saying you have no real reason to like this but have money to throw around so why not get it. "Bad story, eh animation, short and underdeveloped, but I'm a fan so I have to buy it"
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
Quote:

I don't get it. You know it has nothing but mindless fanservice(yes I'll watch and in most cases like fanservice) and situations you've seen done 20 times before and better with characters you actually knew. Using the word fan here just seems like a cover for saying you have no real reason to like this but have money to throw around so why not get it. "Bad story, eh animation, short and underdeveloped, but I'm a fan so I have to buy it"

I hated Demon Hunter's new CD, but I bought it anyways. Support the artists you like, even if it's not their greatest.

That's my personal opinion, atleast.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Couldn't be worse then Sei in the tv series with her boobs popping out of that "bathing suit" she was wearing. Though she did have more personality then Meg at least i thought.

Laughing

I know right!

Here's the thing though. She already had big jugs. But when she went and got in a bathing suit, they miraculously went two sizes bigger! I wonder where she keeps the nozzles to inflate those puppies!? Wait, don't answer that.

But your right. I actually wish they spent a little more time with Sei. She actually seemed pretty interesting when she was in normal mode. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:

I hated Demon Hunter's new CD, but I bought it anyways. Support the artists you like, even if it's not their greatest.

That's my personal opinion, atleast.

I see your point but I don't think it's a good idea to support someones dreck. How will the artists know whether their work is good or bad if I buy everything they make? They might start coming up with more crap because they thought their fans liked it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4