• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Japanese Accused of Uploading 1,000s of Anime Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
It's going to be somewhat grueling for the writers (who don't even know what I'm talking about yet! Smile ) but the reward should be tenfold for everyone involved, especially you, the readers.

I really liked the fall/winter(whatever we called it) preview last year and I look forward to another good showing. Just get the whip ready if anyone starts complaining.
fxg97873

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
fxg97873 wrote:

Oh definitely. ANN has some very talented staff but the last couple of Anime Spring and Fall features have participating staff that wouldn't be able to order a sandwich in Japanese.

And you know this how?

Well, Bamboo has amazing articles and the encyclopedia staff do a great job in presenting data so I make the assumption that they are very talented.

mk2000
Proz512

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Once again,It's Winny.They deserve to get caught for being ill informed.Or they pressed their luck by the 1000th ep.

They must have gotten hit by the Whammy.
james039

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
The same difference here would be TV torrents for shows such as Heroes.. The TV stations are usually not amused by the posting of broadcasts on the internet.. but I think the sooner the actual TV stations find a way of transmitting globally, the better. US anime fans need legitimate ways to see the TV broadcast of series before being able to make an intelligent decision on the purchases of releases, after all. Unfortunately, fansubs aren't legitimate, they are copyright infringement, but the sooner they are replaced by legitimate channels, the better.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
cloud1989 wrote:
what I am most confused about is how they are accusing him of things way back to 2003, there has never been a situated where someone accused of uploading something had everything he ever done thrown right back in his face, unless they had there own site and kept track of all there activities from launch date but they are using a standard p2p client, perhaps they did some interrogation's to get it out of them or something.

Visit "The Wayback Machine" - it keeps tabs on every website in existance...
Leviathan DarklyCute

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
knowledge is free. That's definitely include anime.
They will not stop us.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Leviathan DarklyCute wrote:
They will not stop us.

If knowledge is free, then you're sure as hell not using it since you can't even write properly!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
fxg97873 wrote:

Well, Bamboo has amazing articles and the encyclopedia staff do a great job in presenting data so I make the assumption that they are very talented.

mk2000

You know full well exactly what I meant by that and intimating that I was suggesting you (or, even more infuriatingly, I) didn't know we had talented staff is tasteless and insulting.
Martin_g

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Good or bad, ANN is dependant upon fansubs. Much of it's traffic is from those watching fansubs. Take away the fansubs, and people will have less reason to visit the site. And then there are columns such as Buried Treasure/Garbage which mention fansubs.

Well the reason I like ANN, as opposed to other anime websites, is because they don't seem to include fansub stuff too regularly as a part of their news and reviews. I want information on anime products that I might like to buy. News about current fansub episodes is pointless to me since I wont be able to watch it for for a year or more if it gets licensed at all.

ANN seems like they take an anti-funsub position, but I wish they did even more so. For example, I don't like it that when I'm browsing through the top 100 anime shows on the Encyclopedia, many titles haven't even been licensed yet. Maybe they could have a licensed only list or something.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
It's "Anime News Network." Not "Anime News That Only Pertains to America Network". Let's say you just watched Haruhi on the american released dvds, loved it, and want to know if there is a season 2 planned without waiting the extra 1-2 years of licensing/producing before getting that news, sound reasonable?
GregZor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
You know full well exactly what I meant by that and intimating that I was suggesting you (or, even more infuriatingly, I) didn't know we had talented staff is tasteless and insulting.

"How DARE you insinuate that I, Answerman, not know something!"
BAAAWWW
Fabe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Leviathan DarklyCute wrote:
They will not stop us.

Funny I always thought of anime as being more like entertainment rather then knowledge which isn't always free. Maybe you want to try for the "Making fansubs illegal is violation of my freedom of expression" angle.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
GregZor wrote:

"How DARE you insinuate that I, Answerman, not know something!"
BAAAWWW

Yeah that's it, it's not at all that I take my staff seriously and know that they are all tremendously talented writers. It has nothing to do with the fact that I don't really think it's awesomely hilarious to suggest that I don't already know they're really talented folks.

Like 90 percent of your posts seem like trolling what's up with that man?
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
And then there are columns such as Buried Treasure/Garbage which mention fansubs.

You say that as if ANN is trying to pretend fansubs don't exist. It's not as if they're going to not touch upon the subject whatsoever. That isn't the point at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Martin_g wrote:
Quote:
Good or bad, ANN is dependant upon fansubs. Much of it's traffic is from those watching fansubs. Take away the fansubs, and people will have less reason to visit the site. And then there are columns such as Buried Treasure/Garbage which mention fansubs.

Well the reason I like ANN, as opposed to other anime websites, is because they don't seem to include fansub stuff too regularly as a part of their news and reviews. I want information on anime products that I might like to buy. News about current fansub episodes is pointless to me since I wont be able to watch it for for a year or more if it gets licensed at all.

ANN seems like they take an anti-funsub position, but I wish they did even more so. For example, I don't like it that when I'm browsing through the top 100 anime shows on the Encyclopedia, many titles haven't even been licensed yet. Maybe they could have a licensed only list or something.

Granted, if that were the case, then we wouldn't be seeing some of the older titles that never get licensed over here. Some of us are already aware of titles that aren't licensed over here, and have taken the time to see them on television as well. ANN is not 100% dependant on fansubs, and I am not going to contest the issue of fansubs, because that only gives people a headache here. The encyclopedia would not be what it is without the inclusion of older titles which we'll never see over here. And ANN is pretty international too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6