• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Has No Plans for One Piece's Return

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:11 am Reply with quote
I'd take Blue Dragon over Bakugan any day but what the hell? They finally start dubbing One Piece properly and that's when they decide to axe it? Does this mean that Funimation isn't going to release any future episodes on DVD?
Onikuno

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:43 am Reply with quote
Sigh...

Has everyone forgotten WHY Dragonball Z became REAL popular? It was on weekdays Monday thru Friday at 5 PM.

Even Naruto, as much as I despise that show, should be on weekday afternoons. I think it would be safe to say that One Piece and Naruto should be shown back to back weekdays at 5 PM. It's not like they're going to run out of episodes to air. One Piece alone has more episodes than DBZ. Evevn though Japan does the same thing by showing one episode a week, it does not mean Cartoon Network should follow suit.

One Piece in all fairness should just start over from the begining with Funimations new dub. It needs no...DESERVES a second chance after the piss poor treatment it recieved at the hands of the evil Al Kahn......KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!
bci110

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:57 am Reply with quote
Onikuno wrote:
I think it would be safe to say that One Piece and Naruto should be shown back to back weekdays at 5 PM.

Yes, I agree. One Piece has the potential to become the next Dragonball Z if and only if CN gives it a weekday schedule instead of airing it every Satruday night.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote
Let me post the quote from ToonZone with appropriate emphasis:
Quote:
A representative of Cartoon Network confirmed for Toon Zone News that the anime series One Piece will not be returning to their schedule at this time. The representative stated that all their new episodes of One Piece have been aired already, and the series will not be repeated. The network will be replacing it in their programming lineup.

Maybe we're being slighly hasty. CN hasn't outright said One Piece is canceled... yet. I hope MetatronM can post an article link to what FUNimation said, so we can try to decide if CN is lying or not. As for Bakugan leaving Toonami & Samurai Jack returning, Bakugan is 4 episodes ahead of the Toonami schedule & it's target demo is watching Saturday mornings on the "Dynamite Action Squad" block. I agree that it's Shenanigans on Samurai Jack; IMHO, [adult swim] was a stalking horse to see what demand still existed for SJ. There probably weren't real plans to put it on [adult swim].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
matrixdude124

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
What. The. Hell.
mithrandiryod

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote
To be perfectly honest, I feel that Cartoon Network itself has gone way down hill since they began royally screwing up their lineups like this. There was a time for about a year in the good old days (Darn I must be old) when I would come home on a Saturday night and watch Adult Swim's Anime Block for a couple of hours, shows like Yu Yu Hakusho, Gundam 0083, Mobile Suit Gundam, Outlaw Star, Pilot Candidate, The First Airings of Inuyasha. It only happened once a week but it was a glorious time of the week. I remember that DBZ was in it's after school block Toonami. Then Adult Swim decided to become super edgier and expanded its hold to weeknights as well. I figured cool, More Anime, but no, it seems that they may have spread themselves too thin. Now they're showing maybe one to two episodes a night, and Saturday nights lineup while it may be alot of Anime, it not the full solid block that it used to be......I guess I'm craving the old days of straight Anime for several hours, and not the uber popular series, show some old stuff too (and not just DBZ....we've ALL seen that).

-mith
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
Nyeh, Cartoon Network's not making my Saturday night watching easy. There was once I time I could watch Naruto, DBZ, One Piece and Death Note all in a row but now they keep messing with the schedule...

I don't even like OP much but I found myself missing it last week with Byakugan as it's replacement, which is god awful. But then, what more can you expect with one of Nelvana's licenses? I guess they thought it would be another Beyblade. I don't know what Blue Dragon is at all... guess I'll find out tonight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
Onikuno wrote:
I think it would be safe to say that One Piece and Naruto should be shown back to back weekdays at 5 PM.

Yes, I agree. One Piece has the potential to become the next Dragonball Z if and only if CN gives it a weekday schedule instead of airing it every Satruday night.

In terms of popularity, there's no way that One Piece could be the next DBZ; I think you're underestimating how popular DBZ was. Naruto is the closest to be the next DBZ in terms of popularity, and I don't just don't see One Piece being as popular as Naruto in America.

I'm kinda mad that One Piece is being taken off, but at least I have to season sets to look forward to. =D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
If CN did give One Piece the axe, then I honestly don't see good things for the show's future here in America. Someone here correct me if I'm wrong but...doesn't One Piece's future depend on how successful its TV airing is? Isn't that the stipulation Toei put unto FUNimation for giving them the license? If the show is cancelled, Toei would think the show did not meet their requirements and decide it would be in their best interest to pull the license.

Cartoon Network, for God's sake, think about what you're doing to One Piece here!
halo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote
I don't know about One Piece's status, but ICv2 stated that yesterday's Blue Dragon episode was just a sneak preview. There is another one tonight. The show should begin airing in May.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
im get real sick of c.n. first anime gone on a.s. weekdays now this there only one thing to do now sell my tv
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
I don't know about One Piece's status, but ICv2 stated that yesterday's Blue Dragon episode was just a sneak preview. There is another one tonight. The show should begin airing in May.

Right, that's the point I was making about the schedules for next week. I've read three reports now (including the one here) all saying that the Blue Dragon episode shown this weekend is only a preview with the actual series premier not happening until late spring/early summer. The schedule showing Blue Dragon next weekend indicates either an error in the schedule or an error in the information given about Blue Dragon. With CN changing their schedules so rapidly lately I'm only going to believe Blue Dragon will be on next weekend when the weekend arrives.

Emerje
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Well I believe that currently CN doesn't have any new episodes, I factored in the fact that the DVDs start with episode 1 like the fans wanted... but I'm unsure... my mom (who works for Viz) thinks they're trying to kill the new shows, just like what they did to showing MAR on TV (they skipped several episodes then started showing them in order back to the beginning). I mean it's been shown that One Piece has been doing much better with the new dub but who really knows what they're think at CN.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* And it was just trying to get its sea-legs and its gone? Its not bad enough for AS to pick it up.

*move last comment to another thread
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Onikuno

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
braves said:

Quote:
In terms of popularity, there's no way that One Piece could be the next DBZ; I think you're underestimating how popular DBZ was. Naruto is the closest to be the next DBZ in terms of popularity, and I don't just don't see One Piece being as popular as Naruto in America.

I'm kinda mad that One Piece is being taken off, but at least I have to season sets to look forward to. =D

First of all, yes. I do know how popular DBZ was and still is. It got super popular because it was on Cartoon Network weekday afternoons. Before it was just another underground hit just like most anime during that time.

Secondly, I know Naruto is the most popular show in America right now. The PROBLEM is that One Piece was never given a fair chance to be the megahit it can be. It was horribly butchered by 4kids.

(And please, save any arguments about how Naruto was edited. It doesn't even compare to how bad One Piece was treated.)

Even though it may not be a hit now, in Japan it is FAR FAR more popular than Naruto. One Piece, not Naruto is the "New Dragonaball" in Japan. One Piece is constantly in the top ten in ratings and has no signs of slowing down. Just check the Anime TV rankings on this website and see for yourself.

Finally, we may get those season sets at first, but if One Piece isn't on TV then it's potential popularity will suffer consideribly. DVD sales are not strong folks, One Piece needs that "DBZ type money" to live on in America. Or else it'll end up like Cased Closed....

At the end of the day One Piece will most likely be back for the Fall season. How and where is up in the air. All I can do as a fan of the show is buy the first season set this May. As should every One Piece fan.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4