• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Galaxy railways, what did you think?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sj21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I saw the first half of the first episode. IT WAS AWESOME!! Very Happy Have any of you bought the box set or seen some more episodes or the entire series? It seems awesome. I like the classic style Leiji Matsumoto(creator) gives it but keeps today's quality. That really makes me, a classic anime lover, feel good.

I love the explosions and i saw some amv's, excellent Smile

[ Sorry what did you think, i'm so stupid. Embarassed ]

[EDIT: (bold) tag fixed. Also, do NOT double-post -- use the Edit button if you need to add on to your post. ~Zalis]
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like the character designs at all (I just don't like that early 90s style) and the whole concept of Trains! In! Space! was just way too cheesy for me. A couple of the episodes I watched were well done, but I just couldn't justify keeping on with it.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm burrowing it from a friend and while I've only watched a few episodes I'm seriously considering buying it
sj21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
mokuhazushi wrote:
I didn't like the character designs at all (I just don't like that early 90s style) and the whole concept of Trains! In! Space! was just way too cheesy for me. A couple of the episodes I watched were well done, but I just couldn't justify keeping on with it.
I think that the trains in space is really cool and can make some exciting battle's.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first disc at an anime convention last year. It was pretty dry and dull stuff that didn't really interest me. My friend liked it though so I stayed and watched the whole disc with him. I agree with mokuhazushi on the character designs being ugly to me and space trains being ultra-cheesy. I've seen a few other things created by the same guy and never could stand them. I usually do like that type of series though there's just...something about his works that turns me off. I've never been able to put my finger on exactly what it is though. Confused
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Ah yet another addition to the 1970s classic Galaxy Express 999.
I'm a huge Matsumoto Leiji fan.
I can't wait to get my hands on the box set.
It looks shweeeet!!!! Very Happy
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
mokuhazushi wrote:
I didn't like the character designs at all (I just don't like that early 90s style)

I am not sure if it is fair to call that early 90's style. Confused Wink

Anyway, I enjoyed the series quite a bit. I admit the first few or so episodes are somewhat rollyeye inducing, though I wouldn't call them bad. But once things get started, it turns out to be a well executed and touching story. Dare I say, even a few episodes will pull on your ole heart strings. The character designs are clean and true to Leiji Matsumoto. And as a message to newer fans, if you give them a shot and can make it through a few episodes, you won't even be bothered by them eventually, and maybe even appreciate them by the time the show is over. In an age where the bigger the eyes the better, it is hard to imagine... anyway let's not digress. I do understand why some won't like it, but to me it seems to be a good example of a space opera, and one that turned out better than I had expected.

Sadly, I have a bad feeling that the R1 sales from this would not have been good enough for them to pick up the second season. Crying or Very sad (Note: The first one ended well I think.)

So go out there and please buy those box sets people. And I recommend getting the original boxset if you can still find it, not the viridian, as that box was very pretty and epic looking.

(Note 2: And the best way to view the whole trains in space thing is as one giant metaphor. I mean, the serial numbers for the main protagonists train is G8001!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:26 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
The character designs are clean and true to Leiji Matsumoto.

I love some of these new revisions of the classic 70s Matsumoto style. My favorite is Nobuteru Yuki's take featured on the amazing Captain Herlock DVDs.

The Rintaro Herlock DVDs probably rank at the top of my favorite new Matsumoto spin offs, but Galaxy Railways probably gets a decent second place. The series does have a slower episodic start, but I remember finding the wait between volumes a little painful by the last two DVDs. Fortunately the first series is conclusive and doesn't end on a cliff hanger like Gun Frontier did although it would be nice to see the follow up series.

Most of the other Matsumoto works revolve around two or three strong characters with the rest of the characters only making minor appearances. Galaxy Railways has a good sized ensemble of interesting characters and feels in some ways more like Yamato than Matsumoto's original works.
Jen526

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
I rented the first volume this past weekend on the strength of reviews, and liked it enough that I'll probably pick up the boxset the next time I make a DVD purchase.

I expected the character designs to be a turn-off, but I actually really liked how they were executed here. The character designs combined with the modern animation gave a unique feel to the show instead of just coming across as too dated as I'd expected.

Content-wise, I can't really speak to the story, since most of volume 1 is setup, but I enjoy all of the cast so far (though I liked the main character's brother better, so I was sorry to see he wasn't going to be the lead). I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed it, but it was a little boring at times. I took breaks and watched some other shows between discs, didn't have the drive to run through the whole series back to back.

I find I have this problem with shows that are 3/4's episodic and then tack on a continuous storyline in the last 4~6 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of Matsumoto's works, I enjoyed it but, I find his original works not so cobbled together from everything else he's done. I'm not sure if it's the animation staff or whatever that's recycling names, plot-lines or themes from all of his other works but, to see the same names changed around just a bit or recycled completely is kind of annoying in his newer works. Also, that each and every time a Matsumoto story is being told, it's a new version that has no continuity within his other stories even though it's about the same characters or the same basic storyline really gets on my nerves. I've enjoyed all of the newer series that have come out from Matsumoto in the past ten years or so with the exception of Gun Frontier (haven't seen it) and Cosmo Warrior Zero. Cosmo Warrior Zero could have been really good if the storyline wasn't so out of continuity and again, pretty well cobbled together from other works of his. Also, the series having been done in the early 2000's having worse animation than one of his older works done in the 1970's is just wrong.

All in all though, Galaxy Railways was fun and I own the boxset already. It's a shame we won't get the second season out here but, such is the fate of anything classically related...most people just don't dig that classic anime feel anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sj21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
can you watch the second season on the internet please i need to know!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's floating out there somewhere I imagine, I've seen torrents.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
The Rintaro Herlock DVDs probably rank at the top of my favorite new Matsumoto spin offs, but Galaxy Railways probably gets a decent second place.

Are you talking about Captain Herlock The Endless Odyssey? If you are I had some major issues with that one. Mainly the ending though, as I thought the the rest was great. I didn't really have any problems with the way Galaxy Railways ended, so I think in my mind I always put GR slightly ahead in my mind. Even though I rated them the same. Razz

[Edit: Sorry, regardless if people think the site is legit or not, the fact remains that that is unlicensed content and linking to such is not allowed. - Keonyn]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
yea i've seen bits and piecies of galaxy railways, i like it alot, also have alot of the spin-off's like Space Symphony Metael, Captin Harlock Saga on DVD, Metael Legends, Queen Esmeralda, and others
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2