• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: "Otaku" Murderer Tsutomu Miyazaki Executed on Tuesday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Nope, hanging. Hanging is still the capital punishment method in japan.

I remember two years ago I had to study this guy on a massive assingment I did on otaku. Reading all the case-studies about his killings...it nearly gave me nightmares. I came close to crying when reading about the grief the parent's felt. When I was researching him I thought he was already dead, and then learnt he wasnt. It's kind of...strange, to have him finally gone after all this time.

Hopefully, he went the way of Tom "Black Jack" Ketchum.

Rest in Pieces
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Case wrote:
So, now we can start changing people's minds about otaku being coldhearted murderers?

Wait n/m.

Wait, what? You think the people that aren't sad about his death think that otaku = murderer somehow?

Um, no, I think the point he's making is that all the people saying "good riddance" etc. are being coldhearted, which goes some way towards validating the notion that otaku=coldhearted murders, were anyone who actually held such an opinion to read this thread in the first place (unlikely though that undoubtably is).

If so, I think he has a point.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
Bout frickin' time.

Incidentally, its nice to see I'm not the only advocate of Capital Punishment on this site.
NotSoFluent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote
Thank God and good riddance to this creep. I recall reading Whipple's essay a year back and the very things he did to those four girls scared the hell out of me.

Now their spirits can be put to rest. I'm not a big fan of capital punishment, but there are really dangerous and evil criminals that deserve it.
darcerin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 am Reply with quote
Does anyone else find it just a tad coincidental that right after the Akihabara murders Miyazaki is hanged? I mean, they had him on death row for how long, and suddenly Japan announces they've killed him? Not only that, they didn't announce beforehand that he was scheduled to die. They didn't say anything until *after* he died.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
Michi wrote:
Case wrote:
So, now we can start changing people's minds about otaku being coldhearted murderers?

Wait n/m.

Wait, what? You think the people that aren't sad about his death think that otaku = murderer somehow?

Um, no, I think the point he's making is that all the people saying "good riddance" etc. are being coldhearted, which goes some way towards validating the notion that otaku=coldhearted murders, were anyone who actually held such an opinion to read this thread in the first place (unlikely though that undoubtably is).

Yeah, I guess you've got a point somehow. Maybe I'm being a little too harsh...er than usual.

It just feels...I don't know how it feels. Are we supposed to feel sorry? Angry? Vengeful? Pitiful? Glad that he's gone? What are we supposed to feel about a murderer? Especially someone to this degree?

And what did people think of that one kid that killed 32 people at Virginia Tech? If anyone even flippin' remembers; I've barely heard a thing since it happened. And my damn sister worked there! Other side of the campus, but I digress. How did people feel about that incident then?

I think justice was well served, but the whole capital punishment issue is a bit touchy for me. I mean, some people can be too conservative, while others can be too liberal. I'm just glad that people can get on with their lives again.

Sort of, if you've seen the news.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
Does anyone else find it just a tad coincidental that right after the Akihabara murders Miyazaki is hanged? I mean, they had him on death row for how long, and suddenly Japan announces they've killed him? Not only that, they didn't announce beforehand that he was scheduled to die. They didn't say anything until *after* he died.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Of course, I thought the guy was already dead, so I'm not very well up on current events.

...did anyone get the Ketchum reference yet?
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
I've heard about this guy. I named one of my story characters after him. You can also find him on Wikipedia's article about lolicon.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
Isikari wrote:
Hate to sound cliche, but good riddance to bad rubbish.

Sorry if this sounds short but; AMEN!
mithrandiryod

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:

From what I understand and have read on Japan's Capital Punishment, the condemned is not told the date or time. It is conducted in secret after authorization from the Minister of Justice, and is announced only after it has been carried out. There are no public witnesses, so your theory may hold water or it may not. Some Ministers of Justice have outright refused to authorize executions, and this then leads to an unofficial moratorium on executions in Japan. (All information from Wiki).

Kinda makes me wonder because they have labels now on any "geek killers" now. Though if anyone read further about this you would know that Jury trials are to be instituted for capital trials in Japan now.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:

Obviously you both don't have children of your own else you wouldn't be so bloody apologetic about this toe-rag, also I'm sure most Japanese Otaku are celebrating his overdue demise just as "cold-heartedly".
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, this guy gave up his membership to the human race a long time ago. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be rid of someone who is so damaged, so completely reprehensible that no amount of therapy or shame is going to change him. I don't believe in capital punishment as a deterrent, I believe in it to remove a two-legged cancer that makes people scared for their lives and their loved ones. It's one thing to read about murderers chopping up bodies or leaving the bones of the victims on the parent's doorstep. But to actually have it happen in real life...

THIS is also why Japanese are so confused as to why anyone would WANT to call themselves 'otaku'. Otaku are creepy introverts who are one step away from being pedophiles and mass murderers.

Last edited by beelzebozo on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
suna_suna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
I think that his execution was not announced was to avoid the media attention that would come from it. one, because it seems to be a very high profile case and two, it would be right in the wake of the Akihabara stabbing. Capital punishment is a regrettable, but sometimes nessecary, evil form of punishment.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote
This is what happens when extremely outrageous anime fans go too far: murder. Let punishment fit crime.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
So I'm reading the article that doc-watson42 linked. It's a bit unnerving, because I live in the area that all of these crimes happened. Not just Saitama Prefecture, but like, Kawagoe is where I go to school and my train crosses the Iruma River. A month ago we went to a zoo in Sayama. Hachioji is the last stop on my train line. Just, wow, I'm so familiar with all of these places and it makes it extra creepy.

Ramadahl wrote:

That still makes no sense to me. People say that about murderers being executed all the time. Just because people are saying it about someone that was an otaku doesn't mean they think all otaku are murderers or support that view. Should we all feel bad that he died because he was an otaku, so that other otaku will feel okay? That would lean more towards the idea that otaku=coldhearted murders, no?

Last edited by Michi on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7