• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Book Club -- Serial Experiments Lain.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I have seen Lain twice only although it is one of my top five favourites. I am always up to rewatching it, though, so I might as well take this opportunity to do it. All of the book club threads ended up covering titles that I had already seen, surprisingly enough as I have not seen all that much anime and am a rather new fan. So I am looking forward to this one.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Also, pertaining to what Hellkorn said about the OP, that's definitely something I found very interesting, albeit quite creepy...... But if those shots of her on a fuzzy television screen with time halting around her, the ED picture of her, and the series' title itself are indeed important, putting all that together with that conversation she had with her dad, could that possibly mean her dad is performing some kind of f'ed up sequence of experiments on her via computers/wired technology?

I think what was seen in the OP and ED could be an outcome of Yasuo (Lain's dad) testing Lain. Yasuo was explaining in the first couple episodes to Lain how Navis and the Wired were an extension of communication for humans. Lain's curiosity of the words in Chisa's e-mail have her tempted to explore the Wired, a sign of Lain starting to break away of her introverted shell. Yasuo is probably using this as an opportunity to make Lain more sociable with others at this point to make her see the benefits of interacting with others.

But Lain's exploration of the Wired, as shown in episode 2, will lead her to explore greater mysteries that will be addressed later in the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
I think what was seen in the OP and ED could be an outcome of Yasuo (Lain's dad) testing Lain. Yasuo was explaining in the first couple episodes to Lain how Navis and the Wired were an extension of communication for humans. Lain's curiosity of the words in Chisa's e-mail have her tempted to explore the Wired, a sign of Lain starting to break away of her introverted shell. Yasuo is probably using this as an opportunity to make Lain more sociable with others at this point to make her see the benefits of interacting with others.

But Lain's exploration of the Wired, as shown in episode 2, will lead her to explore greater mysteries that will be addressed later in the series.

Yeah, that was my impression at first, that he was just talking to her about being more socially involved, and was just excited to hear about her newfound interest in computers because of this opportunity for her to do so. But the more I thought about it, of course taking the OP/ED and series title into consideration, not to mention just the really creepy vibe I get from her dad in the first place, that there was possibly more to all that than meets the eye.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Ta-kun The Black Kitty wrote:
I agree with HellKorn. Lain might have a dual personality.

I'd clarify this point, but due to the rules regarding spoilers I'll refrain for now.

Jedi General wrote:
I'm also coming of an anime high, having just finished yesterday what is unquestionably the best anime of 2007: Mononoke.

Ha, glad that you love it. It's really a split between Mononoke and Baccano! for me, though I lean towards the former for its sheer creativity and depth.

And holy shit: your avatar is awesome. Where did you find that pic of the Medicine Seller?

BrothersElric wrote:
... although the dinner scene I can't help but think there were certain things that could possibly be important as well...

That's a good catch. I wanted to include that one but was a bit fearful that I'd be giving away too much; in retrospect, that's not quite the case.

Miho's (Lain's mother) reaction to her daughter's comments are rather telling, actually. Not specifically what Lain says to her, but rather Miho's lack of reaction to Lain speaking.

Quote:
... I'm also interested in how everytime Lain seems to be close to those power lines she hears all these really creepy voices.

There's a reason within the story that will eventually be revealed. Without giving anything away: also pay attention to an encounter Lain has in school in episode two, as well as what she sees on the train in the same episode. They're not unrelated.

Quote:
Another thing I noticed, which probably is an obvious one, is that little keychain on Chisa's backpack after she jumped off of that building. Lain had a whole bucket of those same keychains in her room.

I actually never noticed that. Huh. Doesn't seem indicative of much, other than a fashion accessory.

Quote:
And then of course, there was that conversaton she had with her dad, in which he inserted some kind of password to open a certain file, which I think is the more likely thing to take note of for future references.

That's actually a literary reference. Think Blue, Count Two is a Cordwainer Smith short story. (An author who likely also had an influence on Hideaki Anno's Evangelion. And just to note, lain's screenwriter, Chiaki J. Konaka, never saw that series until after episode four of lain when others had told him Lain reminded them of Rei.)

It's not anything more than a cute homage.

Quote:
But if those shots of her on a fuzzy television screen with time halting around her...

Actually what I was specifically referring to was Lain herself becoming fuzzy. Pay close attention when she's on the archway just before her hat is blown off.

Quote:
... could that possibly mean her dad is performing some kind of f'ed up sequence of experiments on her via computers/wired technology?

I'll just say don't jump to conclusions yet.
doug19992000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
One thing to possibly watch out for is Mika and how frequently she stands in the doorway of Lain's bedroom. I noticed that she asked Lain about someone else being in her room with her. Now this just maybe one of Lain's other personalities talking or Mika is having hallucinations as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Quote:
Another thing I noticed, which probably is an obvious one, is that little keychain on Chisa's backpack after she jumped off of that building. Lain had a whole bucket of those same keychains in her room.

I actually never noticed that. Huh. Doesn't seem indicative of much, other than a fashion accessory.

Quote:
And then of course, there was that conversaton she had with her dad, in which he inserted some kind of password to open a certain file, which I think is the more likely thing to take note of for future references.

That's actually a literary reference. Think Blue, Count Two is a Cordwainer Smith short story. (An author who likely also had an influence on Hideaki Anno's Evangelion. And just to note, lain's screenwriter, Chiaki J. Konaka, never saw that series until after episode four of lain when others had told him Lain reminded them of Rei.)

It's not anything more than a cute homage.

Yeah, as I said I'm probably just overanalyzing here. But the thing is I guess with a series like this you kind of have to overanalyze. Wink

Quote:
But if those shots of her on a fuzzy television screen with time halting around her...

Actually what I was specifically referring to was Lain herself becoming fuzzy. Pay close attention when she's on the archway just before her hat is blown off.

Oh ha, sorry about the misunderstanding. Anime smile + sweatdrop Yeah, I'll definitley have to keep that in mind then. Great thing about OPs and EDs is that they play every single episode, so if you missed anything the first time you can always catch it on latter episodes. Wink
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I haven't posted here yet, but I keep debating on what I can or should SAY. There's a lot of Lain I'd like to discuss but can't yet, and there's a lot I really can't draw conclusions on because I do NOT proclaim to be an expert on the show. I'm struggling to understand it as much as anyone else.

Perhaps more because the show's worldview is so far removed from my own. It's very humanist-existentialist and I'm a very strong Christian.

But there are some fascinating aspects of it. Up front we see technology being used as both an escape from reality and a very "real" tool of empowerment. So, if you're escaping from reality but accepting the venture as its own reality, does it make it a reality? Does it make it THE reality?

This goes with the whole idea of Lain having two personalities. Given her appearance at Cyberia in command and control of the social scene in contrast with her twitchy, demure nature, I think it's safe to assume there are two Lains in one body. This is only natural if you consider the real world and the Wired two entities that require two different natures to command and interact in.

Take Lain's dad. Outside the Wired, he's a caring, giving father, and...is this too early, I forget? Well, he's clearly pretty passionate with his wife in real life. HOWEVER, within the Wired, he is consumed to his tasks, very formidably about them, and his wife, well, shuts off. Completely. Doesn't seem human, but maybe that's the point. (I'd elaborate on these two and Mika, but spooooiiiiilers...)

It looks like people not only naturally do, but really WANT to separate themselves as humans in the real world, and avatars in the Wired. (We'll learn more about that later. Some people may get a kick out of how people choose to portray themselves in the Wired.) That maniac in Cyberia wanted to. It didn't work. The Accel game/kick he was getting from the Wired ABSOLUTELY afflicted his real life, and when he tried to separate them again after the killings, Lain reminded him that he was all too connected to the rest of the world, no matter which world it was. Drove him over the edge.

But why did he recognize Lain? He knew her from seeing her commanding persona in Cyberia, but...she hadn't been present in the Wired much up until this time. She just got a new Navi. Still, more and more crossover activity is going to pile up, and THAT'S when the layers will peel away and we'll have more to talk about.

(Have at my theories, HellKorn. You're more familiar with the show than me. I've seen it once three years ago and am rewatching it.)
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Yeah, that was my impression at first, that he was just talking to her about being more socially involved, and was just excited to hear about her newfound interest in computers because of this opportunity for her to do so. But the more I thought about it, of course taking the OP/ED and series title into consideration, not to mention just the really creepy vibe I get from her dad in the first place, that there was possibly more to all that than meets the eye.

In later episodes, there is more to Yasuo that will be revealed revolving around Lain. Just keep an eye out for more hints in later episodes of the series.

JesuOtaku wrote:
This goes with the whole idea of Lain having two personalities. Given her appearance at Cyberia in command and control of the social scene in contrast with her twitchy, demure nature, I think it's safe to assume there are two Lains in one body. This is only natural if you consider the real world and the Wired two entities that require two different natures to command and interact in.

There's a theory that I have with the wild Lain that was seen at Cyberia different from the theory of personalities considering what more we see from the real Lain as she adjusts being to the Wired. But until discussion on the series shifts towards later episodes, I'll reveal my thoughts at another time.
sogekihei-neko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm really sorry I have to sit this one out. My budget got shot to hell last week and I can't afford any more purchases for some time Crying or Very sad

Enjoy yourselves. I'll read along and keep up from what I remember.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
OBSCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURE.

Anyway, after reading through this thread, I don't feel I have much more to add as far as theories go. I'd rather watch the two episodes again to see if I can catch more and take what's been said to heart. (When I did watch them, my head was kinda pounding from a concert. That, and I'm terrible at analyzing things.) Otherwise, the overall style was easy to get into and I think I'm really going to enjoy following along.

I feel like there's a lot I could be saying, but can't.

Though I like what JesuOtaku said about each episode being like a layer ("Layer:01," "Layer:02," etc.). The first episode, after watching it, I felt like barely anything was revealed. Yet episode 2 was more eventful as far as building upon the Wired and such. Makes me consider watching each episode from the beginning once again before I move on to the next one just to have everything fresh in my mind.

I'm pretty sure I saw bits and pieces of episode 2 a long time ago on Tech TV, but aside from that, it felt like more of an introduction to the series as to what will be happening later on because of what Lain says at the end (and her demeanor when she said it) about everyone being connected. Everything else before then seemed to build up to this point. Because of that, I'm now really interested in Lain's possible "dual personality" and whether or not it's really her. I would like to think it is, but how could it be possible before she got a new Navi and had never been to Cyberia? In the OP, the "real" Lain is walking around while they "other" Lain seen at the end of episode 2 is on the TV screens. I'm wondering if everyone watching her (unless they aren't?) has anything to do with anything.

My main question, though, is why did Chisa pick Lain? I know she sent everyone else an e-mail, but it sounds like she was more interested in Lain even if they didn't really do much together. Perhaps it was simply because everyone else believed it was a prank and she felt Lain (not knowing much about computers) would be more understanding. Eh, we'll see. Looks like it has a lot to say about people and their relations both on and off the Internet.

Lain's family is also a bit strange; her mother doesn't seem to pay much attention to her, her dad needs to get off the computer for at least a day, and her sister... I don't have much to say about her yet. I'll be sure to pay much attention to them.

Was it just me or were there blood stains in all of the shadows?

Thanks to HK for the helpful first post, and thanks to JOtaku for the interesting theories. I'm going to try and watch it again tonight.

HellKorn wrote:
And holy shit: your avatar is awesome. Where did you find that pic of the Medicine Seller?

I'm not sure about that particular image, but I have a few that I suspect are from random doujins. Like this, this, this, this, and this. I found these via a certain infamous image board. Razz
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
AG wrote:

Well...you've got me as to what this means, but the shadows with the purple and crimson patterning are directly under concentration of the Wired's powerlines. Actually, anything connected to the Wired casts those shadows...along with all that mysterious humming.

Actually, after rewatching this show, I honestly have to say that I'm not sure how much I'll be POSTING here, but I will be listening in a lot because this is the roughest time I have had in my life interpreting an anime. Again, it's complicated, but I think more of it has to do with it being very difficult to examine from a Christian worldview. I can watch a lot of anime and know that they're not Christian, (obviously) but pick apart what I do and don't agree with in them, and often there are themes I agree with. More often than not, I like looking into their roots because although I am a Christian, I love studying mythology and literature, and I like parallels. Hence my newfound love for Haibane and Kino right now. However, this one's tough. Amazingly tough. I really am pretty far removed from the whole existentialist commentary to "get it." -.-'
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Perhaps more because the show's worldview is so far removed from my own. It's very humanist-existentialist and I'm a very strong Christian.

It'll be interesting seeing different viewpoints of some of the show's apparent ideology. I'm actually an Atheist with (generally) pragmatic beliefs, so the core of lain wouldn't necessarily be at odds with them (even though there are certain aspects I disagree with, but that's for later episodes).

Just on a note of religious viewpoints: I would be surprised if the main staff doesn't subscribe to Buddhism, or at least have a strong interest in it -- particularly considering Chiaki J. Konaka and his two major surreal existential works after lain featuring overt Buddhist and Shinto influences, respectively.

Quote:

I'll just echo Ggultra2764 above in regards to this. Your theory is likely correct and incorrect, simultaneously.

Quote:
(Have at my theories, HellKorn. You're more familiar with the show than me. I've seen it once three years ago and am rewatching it.)

Actually, I feel that you touch upon some of the themes in the series rather well (lain is more prophetic than many seem to consider). As we head into future episodes it'll be interesting to see if our ideas diverge.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
My main question, though, is why did Chisa pick Lain?

That'll be revealed later. (See my earlier comments regarding the connection between Chisa's "God is here" and the addict's accusations towards Lain.)

Quote:

Interesting way of seeing it. Did you notice the blood dripping from the power lines in episode two, as well? It's not incidental.

This is one of the numerous times where the art direction and animation hold relevance with the story -- the visuals and script in lain support each other like few other series do.

Quote:
I'm not sure about that particular image, but I have a few that I suspect are from random doujins. Like this, this, this, this, and this. I found these via a certain infamous image board. Razz

Man, they're awesome. Already have a guess as to what image board, but do ya mind sending me a PM with confirmation, anyhow?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

I'll just echo Ggultra2764 above in regards to this. Your theory is likely correct and incorrect, simultaneously.

Why must you speak in riddles? A thing cannot both be and not be in the same way at the same time.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Actually, after rewatching this show, I honestly have to say that I'm not sure how much I'll be POSTING here, but I will be listening in a lot because this is the roughest time I have had in my life interpreting an anime. Again, it's complicated, but I think more of it has to do with it being very difficult to examine from a Christian worldview. I can watch a lot of anime and know that they're not Christian, (obviously) but pick apart what I do and don't agree with in them, and often there are themes I agree with. More often than not, I like looking into their roots because although I am a Christian, I love studying mythology and literature, and I like parallels. Hence my newfound love for Haibane and Kino right now. However, this one's tough. Amazingly tough. I really am pretty far removed from the whole existentialist commentary to "get it." -.-'

Hmm, I actually never thought of it that way. I guess you could say I'm sort of a Christian too (depending on whether or not you consider a Mormon to be a Christian Wink [which I do, btw] ) but I honestly don't really see why what religion you are pertaining to the worldview of the series has anything to do with being able to follow it and agree with it. Personally, I just see this as any other fictional work in that it's not real, so why should I care what point of view on certain things it has?

Anyways, saw episode 2 last night. I was hoping it might help shed some more light on certain things in episode 1 but dang it man, it just made things even more complicated! Anime dazed Though I did go back and read everyone's posts pertaining to things in episode 2. Heh, actually if I hadn't read some of what I already did before watching the episode I probably would have never guessed Lain dual personalities, knowing my dense self... Anime smile + sweatdrop But it really is obvious if you take it into consideration. I like what JesuOtaku was talking about in that one personality could be the one in the wired and another could be her real world personality. Which is which though? I think the one that was wild at the club is her online personality and the one we know is her real world one, but that's just natural assumption, if you think about how she said she was at home on her Navi all night long.

Which leads me to the adict. If his mental awareness was enhanced by the drug, does that mean that the reason why he said what he said in reaction to her was because he was able to be aware that Lain and the wild girl the previous night are the same people, and the wild girl told him to go on a killing rampage? I don't know, it's all so weird!! Anime dazed I definitely think AG's got the right idea though, I may very well go back and watch both episodes again before we move on to next week's, that might help quite a bit.

I did have somewhat of an overanalyzation in this episode like I did in the last episode though, pertaining to Shyamalan-esque stuff. Anime smile + sweatdrop I noticed how when she went to the club, we never actually saw Lain go in. It cuts from her finding the place, just standing outside to her just standing there on the stairs, just staring at the door. We never see her move or anything. And then it cuts to her actually inside the club. So basically, we never acutally saw her in the action of going in, we just assumed that she did. I wonder if that means anything......

Whatever the case though, I'm sure the more episodes we get into the clearer more of this is going to become, as noted by the term "layers" for the episodes. Although I don't know, I did indeed say that about episode 1 to episode 2, and look how that turned out. Wink

AG wrote:

Oh yeah, I was going to say something about that before but I wasn't exactly sure what to say about it. Anime smile + sweatdrop My first initial reaction to it was that they were bloodstains, but I wasn't entirely sure. Basically, I just saw them as little blotches of red and purple that would be explained latter on. Wink Like JesuOtaku said though, that is indeed interesting that they seem to be mostly concentrated around the power lines.... I guess that would make sense then that pretty much everything connected to the wired would cast them like that. I know even Lain's shadows herself have had weird little reactions to them like that.

Hellkorn wrote:
Without giving anything away: also pay attention to an encounter Lain has in school in episode two, as well as what she sees on the train in the same episode. They're not unrelated.

Yeah, that's the exact same figure in episode one that she saw on the train tracks in that little sequence of dreams or whatever they were. Interesting..... Also I might have to rewatch the episode but for some reason I don't remember her being on any train at all in episode 2, but at the same time I think I might remember her seeing the same creepy guy that was standing behind the pole when she was leaving the house. Unless that's what you were talking about in the first place. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
HellKorn wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

Why must you speak in riddles? A thing cannot both be and not be in the same way at the same time.

Because Lain is a thinking person's anime. Even when you do watch the entire thing from start to finish, there will still be specific events in the series that are vague at best to answer and have enough possibilities to speculate on, which include whether or not the wild Lain is another personality of Lain as you might believe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8