• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
Encyclopedia Link: Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu

The Plot Summary wrote:
Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu centers around Yūto Ayase and Haruka Nogizaka. Yūto is seemingly ordinary, but Haruka is attractive, intelligent, and rich, which prompts other students to idolize her and even give her French nicknames like "Nuit Étoile" (The Silver Star of the Night) and "Lumière du Clavier" (The Shining Princess on the Piano). One day, Yūto wanders into the school library in order to return a book and accidentally stumbles upon Haruka's deepest, darkest secret: she is a diehard fan of anime and manga, in other words, a regular otaku. Promising Haruka to keep this a secret, Yūto becomes her advisor and confidante of some sort and hangs out with her more, though earning some viciously envious glares from his fellow schoolmates.

I've been anticipating this show since it was announced back in November because it sounded sort of interesting. I mean you have this girl who is pretty much a school idol and yet she is also a diehard closet otaku. It sounds pretty neat, so now that it is finally out I didn't even wait for a decent sub to come out before taking a look.

Let me get this out of the way before anything else: this show looks like complete fluff after one episode.

Ok, that out of the way..

It may be fluff but it is fairly easy to watch and fun too. I was expecting a bit more so it threw me off at first, but as the show went along there wasn't a lot to it but it made me chuckle here and there and before I knew it the first episode ended. Not much happened, outside what is in the plot summary, and it is really really really cliché, but I wasn't bored watching it. Now I know that really isn't high praise, but that really is a lot more than you can say for a lot of the school life comedies that have come out recently. And the characters are kind of fun too. You don't really know a lot about them, except a few glimpses of the lives they lead, but it seems they can be enjoyable to watch as well and the cast is pretty darned good.

There's a bit of fanservice, to be expected from the same company that produced Kodomo no Jikan, so that might push a few more away as well; that and the moe... Ok, well every show is not for everyone, and this show seems to be for less than others (though maybe not as few as Strike Witches), but I enjoyed the first episode and won't mind watching a few more.

Last edited by undeadben on Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkraven2000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode. It seems to be alright, although the fanservice was a minus in my eyes. I think ill probably follow this as unless it starts getting boring ><

Ah- Cant wait until next season for clannad and nodame cantabile ----
This season is even worse than last season romance anime-wise.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...and even give her French nicknames like "Nuit Étoile" (The Silver Star of the Night) and "Lumière du Clavier" (The Shining Princess on the Piano).

Oh my word you guys. That made me laugh so hard. Someones got their translations way off. I speak french, and those mean literally,

Night Star, or Star of the Night, nothing about silver in there, and Light of Piano, nothing in there about a princess, or shining, and its actually more accuratly Light of Keyboard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
Well, this certainly isn't going to be a series to watch for the story or (probably) the compelling character development and drama. But its cute and it stars Mamiko Noto, so I'm in for at least a few episodes.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Is it me or is the ED sequence a complete Haruhi rip-off? Wink

That out of the way, I'm a sucker for light romance as long as it isn't garnished with copious fanservice, and this seems to be inoffensive enough to keep me watching for a while yet.

Bring on the character development! Very Happy
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Based on the premise, I decided to sample the first episode. In one sense its blatant otaku pandering turned me off; an otherwise-perfect princess who just happens to be a devoted anime fan and wants to keep that a secret because she thinks people will think her weird? And a guy who just happens to befriend her because he's learned her secret and has promised not to tell? Please. How much more gimmicky could you get? (And what does it say about perception of anime fans?)

And yet there's a certain sweetness to the Haruka/Yuuto relationship that starts to form late in the episode that I found quite likable and compelling, and Yuuto seems like a pretty stand-up, even-headed, respectable guy. That gives it two big pluses over a lot of the rabid fan-pandering romantic comedy crap that's been dished out over the last few seasons. Kinda liked the closer, too.

Think I'll watch at least an episode or two more to see where it's going. After all, if I put up with Rosario to Vampire through to the end, I should certainly be able to handle this. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kazuni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:12 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Quote:
...and even give her French nicknames like "Nuit Étoile" (The Silver Star of the Night) and "Lumière du Clavier" (The Shining Princess on the Piano).

Oh my word you guys. That made me laugh so hard. Someones got their translations way off. I speak french, and those mean literally,

Night Star, or Star of the Night, nothing about silver in there, and Light of Piano, nothing in there about a princess, or shining, and its actually more accuratly Light of Keyboard.

haha yeah, from the actual dialog, it has absolutely no relation to silver star bla bla bla. But the original novel does mention that she is the silver star of the night. (夜の銀星)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Took a while, but the second episode is finally out. And I think it's now official:

I absolutely adore this series.

Yeah, it has a high degree of surface fan-pandering, but somehow it manage to do things just enough differently from its kin to feel fresh. In fact, at times episode 2 felt like it was deliberately setting up stereotypical situations just so it could put its own little spin on them.

And the sweetness of the developing Haruka/Yuuto relationship is hard to deny. The opener suggests that the series could still go in a kooky or trashy direction, but the "date" in Akihabara actually gave the genuine feel that they were mutually enjoying each other's company. The deal-sealer for me was the wonderful spoiler[Yuuto literally sweeping Haruka off her feet] scene.

Despite some minor undesirable elements, I will be watching this one out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
suchibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
wow, i still cant believe so many people complaining about fanservice. makes me think that the demographic of anime fans may be scewed a bit. get over it people, you kno this type of show has it, stop compaining about it, watch or dont watch

I personally enjoyed this show and look forward to ep4 when it comes out.
undeadben

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I absolutely adore this series.

Boy, you said it. I didn't think I would get as hooked on this show as I am after I saw the first episode. As many shows as I'm following right now this is the only one I watch at least twice for each episode.

As you said, the Haruka/Yuuto relationship really is sweet and I'd add endearing. And it is so surprising because the story around the relationship is so generic, but because of the main characters I can overlook any moment that normally has me rolling my eyes when it happens in other shows. I just enjoy watching these two.

Episode 3 is a bit surprising in one element. Just when you expect the show to go into a spoiler[more harem-type direction, you find that the other girls that are introduced are actually also cheering on and trying to help the Haruka/Yuuto pair. ] It's another sweet episode that again offers a few more sweet moments between Yuuto and Haruka with spoiler[even more clear signs that the two are really getting starting to like each other more and more. I mean, those proclamations that they would not be apart near the end, while cheesy, were also touching. ]

Maybe that is what is so refreshing about this show up to this point, it hasn't taken that spoiler[somewhat tired path into the world of multiple girls chasing a useless guy. Heck, Yuuto has now proven a couple times that he is not useless to Haruka at all. ] It doesn't make the show original really, but maybe it is part of why I enjoy it so much. I'm also looking forward to more.

suchibu wrote:
wow, i still can't believe so many people complaining about fanservice. makes me think that the demographic of anime fans may be scewed a bit. get over it people, you kno this type of show has it, stop compaining about it, watch or don't watch
Do you actually want to post about the show or are you just here to make judgments on things you read out of context. No one on this thread, even those opposed to fanservice, has said that they will not watch this show because of it. I think you should take the time to actually read the posts completely prior to making judgments, or the very least, prior to posting.

Quote:
I personally enjoyed this show and look forward to ep4 when it comes out.

Only one line of text that that is actually on topic and just says you enjoyed it doesn't really cut it. Why do you enjoy it? What are the aspects you look forward to? Why are you looking forward to episode 4?

Almost all who you are accusing of just hating on fanservice in this topic said more on topic than you did. They even posted positive things about the show which you probably overlooked because all you saw was the word 'fanservice.'

Stop complaining. Either read the posts completely or don't bother replying.
gibbage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Yes. This show is in my #2 slot behind Macross Frontier. Haruka Nogizaka is TOTALLY ADORABLE, and the interaction between her and Yuto is rather believable to me. I just watched EP3 and it was rather suprising whem Haruka spoiler[came out of the otaku closet!] I just REALLY hope this does NOT turn into the typical herim anime, and they throw a bunch of other cute girls in simply to get in the way of the relationship!!!! That annoys me beyond anything!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
gibbage wrote:
Yes. This show is in my #2 slot behind Macross Frontier. Haruka Nogizaka is TOTALLY ADORABLE, and the interaction between her and Yuto is rather believable to me. I just watched EP3 and it was rather suprising whem Haruka spoiler[came out of the otaku closet!] I just REALLY hope this does NOT turn into the typical herim anime, and they throw a bunch of other cute girls in simply to get in the way of the relationship!!!! That annoys me beyond anything!

This is anime, and this anime in particular is typical otaku pandering. How can you not expect it to do the same exact thing? It should be expected by this point, really. How you guys ever believe a show won't do it is beyond me.
gibbage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Pardon me for having just a LITTLE hope. Rolling Eyes
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
This is anime, and this anime in particular is typical otaku pandering. How can you not expect it to do the same exact thing? It should be expected by this point, really. How you guys ever believe a show won't do it is beyond me.

Simple: because through three episodes so far, this series has resolutely refused to take the cheapest possible path. Even the bit with Haruka's sister in ep 3 didn't ring quite as stale because spoiler[she made it pretty clear that she holds Haruka's best interests at heart and thinks Yuuto is right for her, so for all her shenanigans she isn't giving off the competitive vibe you'd normally expect.]

The only thing that even slightly bugs me about this one is how strongly they're playing up the "otaku = outcast" card, but how wonderfully ep 3 ends more than makes up for that. spoiler[The move Haruka put on to toss that guy almost made me spit out my drink.]
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 4 isn't quite as enjoyable as the first three. The focus shifts away from Haruka/Yuuto a bit for the first time in the series and, since they are what make the show worth watching, the show's lackluster underbelly is somewhat exposed. Not through the whole episode though, it still has it's cute moments.

And the story here isn't exactly bad, it attempts to reveal a bit more about a supporting character by sort of featuring her in the episode. In this case it's Hazuki the head maid at the Nogizaka estate. I think the problem here is that this type of featuring usually works best after you've had a chance to get to know the character in question a bit. Hazuki was only just introduced in the last episode, and that was almost just in passing. Hazuki's part here probably would have worked best after a couple more episodes when we get to know her more and what she's about naturally through her supporting role the main story.

But still, a bit more was learned about her and we do get a few nice spots in between. The typical spoiler[being mistaken for bride and groom moment and having pictures taking scene for Yuuto/Haruka, though they did look cute], and also the pair spoiler[just getting to learn more about each other in other small scattered moments]. Like Yuuto spoiler[interacting more with the people in Haruka's life and Haruka finally meeting those in Yuuto's. ]

Speaking of, it's odd that I don't remember anywhere that tells us that Ruko is Yuuto's sister before this episode. I only guessed she had to be related in some way because of the cast list. I think this was part of the stuff that may have been mentioned in the special about the series which I couldn't understand too much of and no one ever subbed. I know it was a live action special with part of the cast but I think that special is probably pretty important to the series, at least to understand things like the family situations before the show starts, instead of being confused until it is finally brought up.

Other interesting things to note are some actual references to real anime, not just the made up Dojiko Aki-chan which is just a parody of any number of magical girl shows. Haruka's spoiler[cosplay of Shana from Shakugan no Shana in school uniform was cute]. I chuckled when Nanami distracts Nobunaga by spoiler[lying that she spotted the beautiful seiyuu Ueda Kana-san (the seiyuu who just happens to play Nanami)]. And there were a couple of other background things I couldn't quite place but know the anime they're from.

Of importance, spoiler[Yuuto bumps into the same girl he bumped into at Akihabara again. The same girl that is also shown on the left in a three panel shot in the opening with Yuuto in the center and Haruka on the third panel. It doesn't really look like she'll turn this into triangle of any kind because though she teases him a bit, she sort of knows Yuuto is "dating" someone, from her point of view, the girl who "looks just a princess" that she helped him find the last time they ran into each other. But she did say that something was sure to happen if it happened a third time, bumping into each other. I guess we'll know more about her in the next episode as she appears to be the "transfer student" being introduced in the next episode] (good thing the show has charm because it is so short on originality).

Overall despite the few snags I'm still looking forward to re-watching this episode when it comes out in better quality, and watching the next episode as well.

Edited a couple times to add spoiler tags to parts which I think might not be too important but might be more enjoyable for people to discover through watching. I apologize if someone read this before I added the extra tags.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2