• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Feigned Frustration XIII

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
It won't matter if XIII is released in Japan on 360 if a PS3 version is still around. The 360 has less than a million in terms of userbase in Japan(outdated numbers say around 650,000 compared with outdated PS3 numbers of 2.5 Million). And that's with all those JRPGs. They simply do not like Microsoft, or rather the US.

Oh and I can't wait to see XIII be on (rumored) 6 DVDs. That'll be the most awesome thing since The Legend Of Dragoon for the PSone.

Compairing the Square jump from Nintendo to Sony to this isn't exactly fair. Square stopped being on Nintendo consoles because they wanted Nintendo to make the N64 use CDs instead of cartridges. Since Nintendo gets a royalty for each game sold, since IIRC they are the only one who produces the cartridges, unlike CDs. This is Square wanting more money by going to the lesser advanced, but has a higher userbase console, Xbox 360. Kind of a step backwards, no?

And while they owe Sony nothing (in fact, some would say Sony has caused them problems), Sony was there for them many times. They've ill-wisely spent a lot of money hyping The Spirits Within, as well as being the distributor of Advent Children. It's like Sony was there for them, but now Square Enix isn't.
DirtnSky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
I was at TGS when they premiered FFXIII...
It ended with this: ONLY ON PS3
Now.. it ends with: ONLY ON PS3... IN JAPAN!

Because the interweb wasn't truly there when FF jumped to the PSX, we'll never know the squeals of the nitendonerds outrage. And now we have this jackass move. This tells me one Solid thing.

Squarex is OLD. The Biggest reason for them to leave Nintendo was because that company had an iron grip in the production of cartridges and that cost alone for Square was too much. The future possibilities of the CD took them to a whole new plain of games, future thinking that finally brought us FFX later on in the DVD format........

And now they've abandoned the b-disc for more DVDs in what seems to be an afterthought. For XIII it seems that a DVD-9 was all that they needed in the end, space was never a concern for the company because the game can fit into a few Old 9 gig disc... or two.. or four.. or more. Disc swapping never gets old on the 360 does it.

Again. Squarex is OLD! Hell, that last vid they showed just recently has nothing but movies and not a hair of what the game truly looks like. Even the battle scenes have been suspect since it was first shown at TGS when I saw it.

The greatest let down this E3 was the lack of Shirou Kishi (White Knight) and I'm chewing my jaws in anticipation for that one!

FF?.. ff!? We don't need no stinkin' OLD ff!!! Come on 50 GIG NEXT generation JRPGS!!!

Last edited by DirtnSky on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Panda Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
I'm not a 360 fanboy or anything, but the reason they moved is because you need money to continue work. PS3 has such a small user base in the US that it would be bad to keep it exclusive. Also, will it ruin it for any of you if they release it on 360? No, because none of the PS3 fanboys will buy that version.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
If you make a good game, the PS3 gamers will come. Right MGS4? Sold millions, and what console was that on? PS3.
Descent123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
ilkz wrote:
I hope the TF6 got US release sometime in the future, I really don't know how likely that going to happen. 2D shooter fan are probability the most marginalized gamers in the industry.

Most of the shooter fans are going to import when release. I might buy a JP PS2 just for this, but I'm holding my guns until the game actually comes out.

The team behind TFVI said they might do more shooting games if TFVI sells well. They might do sequels to Tecnosoft other shooting games like Elemental Master (Genesis/Megadrive), HyperDuel (Arcade, Saturn), and Blast Wind (Saturn). Only time will tell.

Actually I would die for a HyperDuel sequel, since it's one of my favorite shooting games. The Saturn port is really rare, like this BIN: http://cgi.ebay.com/HYPER-DUEL-sega-saturn-import-jp-RARE_W0QQitemZ350079038997QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item350079038997&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Actually the price is a rip-off. Actual price without spine card should be about $130ish. Luckily I paid $135 for a complete copy with the spine card and the reg card.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
I thought the topic will run red with the blood of XBox or PS fanboys. While the Nintendo fanboys feeling let down.

The only thing that does bothers me about the announcement is "Development will start after the release in Japan." It's going to feel a lot like the delay for Final Fantasy 4. 9 months for localization is a very long time, but now we might see a year because of development for XBox. I can stand a little wait, but many hardcore fanboys can't.

I could care less what system appears on. It could show up on Wii as far I care, but since I have a PS 3, I'll get it for the system it was made for. Since the decision came a few days before E3, things could change and it might pop up on PS 3 first then the 360. Even more so if it takes longer develop for the 360 and localization is completed.

There's Fallout 3, Gears 2, and other upcoming games that will tide me over. Killing a man with teddy bears never looked so cool. The new Naruto game for the Playstation 3 looks sharp, but coming Ubisoft Naruto game was oddly a no show at Ubisoft press conference. Not a hint or a flutter. Atleast there are a lot of RPGs coming for the 360 likes Star Ocean and Tales of. So the all is not lost if Final Fantasy 13 takes, what was sure to be in the first place, it's sweet time getting over here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Eos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
The bastard child of fanboy wank, I love online petitions, that Devil May Cry 4 one a while back cracked me up. I also thought GTA DS was hilarious on concept alone, so many unsuspecting parents will end up getting this for their kid under the belief that the DS is kid-friendly. Hard to think of a stylus as a tool in a "murder simulator" though.

Get Excited If: You want the Final Fantasy IV fanfare played at your wedding. Not the easily disguised piano scale, but the bombastic overture that plays as those airships tear through the skies at the game's opening.
This is my boyfriend's line of thinking (minus airships), I told him I'd meet him halfway with something closer to a town theme.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
This article has introduced me to the hilariously pointless realm of online petitions. If I were wearing a hat I'd take it off to all those who take them seriously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Eos wrote:
Hard to think of a stylus as a tool in a "murder simulator" though.
Confused It's a sad state of mind when I can think of a couple of ways. Dragging a knife a cross a body is a way. "Sanking" is another. But less realist then doing it with a Wiimote. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Panda Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
This year was good for Sony and Microsoft. But Nintendo once again hasn't done a whole lot.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
i don't see how anyone thinks this hurts Sony. they still hold exclusivity in Japan, which means this game's gonna move millions for Sony, and give them a huge boost in Hardware not to mention you still have to buy it to play versus. Final Fantasy's been dying down in the west for awhile now. the problem is when Microsoft finally releases it, they're still gonna be competing with Sony for profits in both Europe and America, which means sales won't meet the expectations they had hoped for.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
But Nintendo once again hasn't done a whole lot.
I hope Nintendo brings more to the table at TGS. New add on, Wii Music, Wii Sports, and Animal Crosing is great, but the old Nintendo fans are wondering where the new IPs, Icrus, and something that's not made for casual crowd in mind.
v1cious wrote:
i don't see how anyone thinks this hurts Sony. they still hold exclusivity in Japan, which means this game's gonna move millions for Sony, and give them a huge boost in Hardware not to mention you still have to buy it to play versus.
It's a slap in the face, there's no doubt there. After years of saying "Playstation 3 only.", but to have to have the kingpin of the 13 series go multi platform did sting because a lot of fans was going to buy PS 3 just for the game, just like MGS 4 moved a lot of systems in to homes. Even if Versus is still set for PS 3, that did keep some money out of Sony's money bin. This isn't the first time this has happen Sony (Devil May Cry 4), but as the months go by, it won't be the last when development cost when factor.
Exaar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Personally, this thing about FF13 was the best news I had heard in a long time. I am a dedicated 360 fan, but I was going to buy a PS3 just to play FF13... well, now I don't have to!

If you ask me, /all/ games should be multiplatform. I'm thrilled I don't have to shell out 400 bucks for a system I don't really want just for the one decent exclusive game.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
GwennBlackfeather wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa. Izuna, mildly challenging?

Seriously, did you play past the second dungeon? That game is one of the most brutal monsters out there, and that's not even dwelling on the post-game bonus dungeon.

Seconding this. I could only get to the fourth dungeon. The game isn't so much 'hard' as it is random, and unfair. I like it, but not enough to ever beat that stupid dungeon.
loka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
i read that it is the engine the game runs on that is being ported. so they can still say that they arent setting any manhours to be worked on the writing of the game itself for xbox, while at the same time diminishing the amount of people devoted to the original by sending others to work on engine port. but that's just wild speculation.

ps. i am pro cross-platform for everything - if they program for the top end system first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5