• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Manly Spirit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:

OMG that sounds like comedy gold.......will try to find it

Also comprised of spoiler[90% lesbianism].
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
Am I the only one who actually LIKES whiny Watanuki? I think he's funny... Embarassed

(Although not nearly as funny as Doumeki...)

I like Watanuki a lot - he complains about everything, but watching him learn about all of the weird stuff Yuuko gets him into is really interesting. Also, he's a very sweet guy inside Anime smile

I do agree that the real star is Yuuko-san, though. I love her craziness so much, especially since she'll be saying something very wise and sincere at one moment and then go do something utterly strange the next. She really makes the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
cool3865 wrote:

OMG that sounds like comedy gold.......will try to find it

Also comprised of spoiler[90% lesbianism].

just ordered the DVD and some VHS tapes of it
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Zablac wrote:
Lol, that shelf thing is funny.

I'm so glad I'm cheap and have never spent money on anime. Instead I have 350+ burned dvds, each chalk full of anime. All subbed, not crappy dubbed too. Anime smile
Many dvds of a certain type of h-game too. Like 10+. Good stuff...

Hey everybody, look at me! I steal from the Japanese companies who make the shows I purport to love and do nothing to support the industry whatsoever! Praise be to Zablac!

Rolling Eyes
yblees

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
LOL, that elongated body look is from CLAMP experimenting with new stylised art forms (although I always though it looked very One Piece) - I guess the animators find it hard to draw the full body shots.
Speaking of experiencing epiphanies from xxxHolic, anybody remember that Parade of the Spirits thing back in season 1? I saw something like it in real life - honest. The Dunedin Matariki (midwinter) parade - white dressed stiltwalkers, masked dancers and drummers and hordes of people just walking quietly carrying huge white lanterns in the dark. Bird and star shaped lanterns held up high. I thought wtf, I'm in xxxHolic!

Matariki is the Peleides star cluster by the way, you know, like "Subaru".

Last edited by yblees on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
This is precisely what I was referring to. By consistent I mean that the longer shots of characters always have that awful, out of proportion look to them, while the closeup shots always look much better.

Yes, but there are some shots that are quite a bit worse than others.

And I really like Watanuki and I actually don't care about Yuuko much. I like her when she's serious, but her comedic side (especially all the drinking jokes) just don't really appeal to me all that much. I greatly prefer Watanuki, Doumeki, and Himawari to Yuuko (along with a fair number of the supporting cast).
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Zablac wrote:

I'm so glad I'm cheap and have never spent money on anime. Instead I have 350+ burned dvds, each chalk full of anime. All subbed, not crappy dubbed too. Anime smile

YOU MAKE BABY PUPPIES CRY!

I only watched one episode of holic, the art made me go "..." then I never touched it again.

Love the manga, though.
maus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Zablac wrote:

Hey everybody, look at me! I steal from the Japanese companies who make the shows I purport to love and do nothing to support the industry whatsoever! Praise be to Zablac!

Rolling Eyes

Indeed, this attitude irks me. To have only copied and downloaded material is nothing to brag about! Confused

Those XXX-holic shots make me think back to those (already legendary) answerman shots of Naruto and Bleach... I'm glad I don't watch xxx-holic.
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
yea the animation in xxxHolic isnt that great, but man i love the manga. great story and alot of stuff that is in there they left out in the anime.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
There really isn't that much that was left out of the xxxHolic anime, actually. At least I don't think there is. It's hard to tell because the stories are told completely out of order, so something you think was missed from volume one might turn up in episode 15 or something like that.

Of course, there is the crossover with Tsubasa, but for the majority of the story that the first season covers this really is fairly minor.
Faceman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
Ok, I'm probably just nitpicking, but I found an error in the review:
Quote:
In the spotlight is Simon, whose one of the drillers.

I believe that should be who's, as in the contracted form of "who is". "Whose" is the possessive form of who. Does it matter? Not really I guess, but I just wanted to point it out, as it doesn't seem anyone else has yet Confused
Zablac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Zablac wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Yup. Maybe I would buy some if it didn't include terrible English dubs. Not having to paying those horrible English voice actors might cause anime to cost less. And I know someone is going to say, "Oh dubs are good. Like *insert one or 2 examples here*." Just because one or two are good, it doesn't make up for the hundreds of horrid ones that sound nothing even like their Japanese counterparts.
So until that stuff costs less, or I win the lottery, I'll spend the money I make on more useful stuff like my car, gas, my computer, and going out with friends. Torrenting FTW!
Batman3777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Zablac wrote:
LordPrometheus wrote:
Zablac wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Yup. Maybe I would buy some if it didn't include terrible English dubs. Not having to paying those horrible English voice actors might cause anime to cost less. And I know someone is going to say, "Oh dubs are good. Like *insert one or 2 examples here*." Just because one or two are good, it doesn't make up for the hundreds of horrid ones that sound nothing even like their Japanese counterparts.
So until that stuff costs less, or I win the lottery, I'll spend the money I make on more useful stuff like my car, gas, my computer, and going out with friends. Torrenting FTW!

Before anyone replies to this, just remember, he's trolling for internet peeing contests. Please don't feed the trolls. Rolling Eyes

Thanks.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
Ok, I'm probably just nitpicking, but I found an error in the review:
Quote:
In the spotlight is Simon, whose one of the drillers.

I believe that should be who's, as in the contracted form of "who is". "Whose" is the possessive form of who. Does it matter? Not really I guess, but I just wanted to point it out, as it doesn't seem anyone else has yet Confused

Oops, that one crept by me while I was proof-reading. Thanks!

Zablac wrote:

Blahblahblah

You're a douche. Go away.
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
so i cant wait for F3 to come in, sounds like alot of lolz comming in my mail soon
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5