• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Threatening Japan's Comike with Grenade

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimyo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Sad Confused

Being an otaku is a lonely, miserable enough existence without some a$$holes committing violent acts against us! Leave us alone!
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering why it took so freaking long yesterday, now I know. Thanks for the heads up.

I will be leaving in a few minutes, I hope it won't be that bad. I guess I should be expecting rain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Maybe the organizers should consider having Comiket for each season if the number of attendees becomes too difficult to handle.

It already convenes twice a year. I hope they have the funds to rent Tokyo Big Site for two more weekends a year. I doubt it's cheap.
shoujogirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, even though many dojinshi are pretty bad, there are some manga out there much worse (Naruto, Negima, One Piece...)
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
shoujogirl wrote:
Well, even though many dojinshi are pretty bad, there are some manga out there much worse (Naruto, Negima, One Piece...)
Your opinion on popular titles is kinda irrelevant to the discussion. Btw, two of those aren't bad titles.

On to the subject at hand, it's good that they acted on the threat. Then maybe not-so-nice-people will think twice about posting nonsense like this online, or commiting such harmful acts.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
I've been seeing that the Japanese authorities have been quick to respond to these threats, because they don't want another Akihabara to happen. Usually while I was back there if something like that happened the Japanese would always be taking precautions like what's going on now.
okitasan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
Is it even possible to get a grenade in Japan? lol
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
okitasan wrote:
Is it even possible to get a grenade in Japan? lol

Depends, but more than likely through the underworld. Of course, the US military has all the weaponry within their power over there as well, so you never know.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
Granted it's a good idea to not take this threat lightly, I can't help but feel the vibe that this is becoming a series of trolling from 2ch users...

I mean, if they managed to cause that atrocity over the whole resignation of that gainax founder and such, I can see them thinking it'd be funny to screw around and pretend to be you know, 'otaku killers'.

But maybe I'm thinking 2ch users and 4ch users are too similar. I dunno what the state of the internet is over there in terms of their communities...

But I imagine the behavior is universal. Either way, this guy IS stupid for doing such a thing, be it serious or a joke.

And for those bashing the doujinshi at comiket, come on. That's not what the thread is for. Just... Stop and think before you post.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quote
To be honest, Comiket would probably be the greatest terrorist target of any event in Japan, regardless of the content of the convention itself.

Anyone who has ever stood in the line for the east hall at 7 AM, you'll realize that you basically have 50,000 people (or more, perhaps, as the total attendance per day is near 200,000 and there's also the west hall and main hall lines)...
you have 50,000 people crammed into a tiny area contantly being told to push closer to the person in front of your, arranged into small blocks with timestamps and packed like sardines into the large parking lot out back.

On one side is the ocean, the other side the hall (with shuttered doors until it opens). The people there all have large suitcases or backbacks which are NOT checked. If someone were to toss a single grenade into that crowd, you'd have hundreds of casualties: maybe 5-6 from the grenade itself, and god knows from the stampede that would happen.

If you had a true terrorist style bomb, you could kill 1000s. It's really a horribly insecure security nightmare. I've been wondering how long until the post 9/11 reality would end up catching up to comiket.

To be brutally honest, I think this guy might have done everyone a favor. The security at comiket was TOO lax, and this was a wakeup call that was sorely overdue. They should stop cramming people into such small spaces, and should spread out the queues along the coastline or something, as well as institute bag checks, etc.
At least this way, no one has to die to force them to change their ways.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote
I've said this before, but I'll say this again. There is too much anger in today's world. While I am glad that security options will be changed, people could have been hurt or worse killed.

What happening to this world? Hopefully more postive events occur more often.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
While I am glad that security options will be changed, people could have been hurt or worse killed.

Only if he had intended to follow through with his threat. I'd like to know if the authorities actually found a grenade or other explosive in this man's possession.

Either way, threats like these are arguably a form of terrorism. They force people to react to the perceived threat by stepping up security, both inconveniencing the populous and generating a sense of paranoia. They could even scare some people into avoiding public gatherings out of fear for their well-being (though I suspect some of the Komiket attendees would rather risk their life than forego their next doujinshi fix).

I'm curious to know how Japan deals with these types of situations. Do they have a specific criminal code for this kind of thing when intent to do physical harm can't be proven (similar to yelling "fire!" in a crowded theater), or do they have to get creative to prosecute people like this guy? Or, do they just hold these people while they investigate, then curb them when the event they were threatening has passed? I've seen news of several arrests but nothing about subsequent prosecution or sentencing.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
Apparently it's against the law to be an asshat on 2chan. Shame there isn't the same rule on 4chan, but then that would make it's purpose and existance pointless. Wait!
Wink
frouella

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
Actually, I just spent all day Saturday and Sunday at Comiket, and no one checked my bag at all. Or mentioned anything about heightened security.
Then again, this was my first time attending, so maybe the security was higher than usual and I didn't know the difference.

They did seem to be really concerned about escalator safety, though. There was at least one attendant assigned to each one, and they would shout out escalator safety rules as you went up/down... Wink
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I've said this before, but I'll say this again. There is too much anger in today's world. While I am glad that security options will be changed, people could have been hurt or worse killed.

What happening to this world? Hopefully more postive events occur more often.
I don't agree with everything you post but in this case I whole-heartedly agree. People just don't care about each other any more. Civility has dropped (at least in my opinion) and complete loons have started popping up everywhere.

Also, it seems the IQ of the average wouldbe killer has dropped sharply too. Brilliant plan going online to make threats. (It's not like anyone can read those threats or figure out who you are right? Right?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3