• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fullmetal Alchemist TV Anime Series Confirmed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChasingPhantoms

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna be the first to come out and say DO NOT WANT. I'm one of the like... 6 fans in existance who thought the anime was superior to the manga, so the thought of them retconning the whole series just to redo it following the manga makes me livid. But the thought of a continution of the anime isn't any better. I just. It's obvious that they are doing this to make more money and I just don't see it living up to the first series. Lighting doesn't strike in the same place twice, etc.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal Alchemist is one of those rare situations where I liked the anime far more than the manga. I think it's because the anime is just so more thematically strong than the anime, though the world in it is less "complete" than the manga's. The theme of brotherhood is strong in the anime, whereas it's barely even all that important in the manga- Ed and Al could just be two friends there, for all it matters.

If it's a "FMA Ultimate" and reboots everything to be more like the manga, I'll still watch it, because it's FMA, but it'll be hard to sit through a lot of the long, unnecessarily drawn out subplots that Arakawa introduced. If it's a continuation of the anime plot already completed, that would be even worse, since it's already been wrapped up.

FMA is one of those anime that deserved a sequel, but didn't need one. Still, it'll be interesting to see what happens, even though I'm against giving Vic Mignogna any more work.

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I for one am excited, especially if this new series is a closer adaption of the manga. It kind of upset me that certain events from the manga were altered due to the alternate retelling or just plain would not be animated because they went a different route, and as much as I liked the original series certain characters really got the shaft due to the different direction they took ::cough::winry::cough::. I'll be excited to see what comes of this, but for the mean time any guesses for when it'll begin airing?
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow,a new sequel to FMA? I was'nt expecting this because the anime version had a good ending with Conquerer of shambala to wrap up the anime storyline since it dirived from the manga so much,maybe it's an alternate retelling or a continuation where the movie left off.
ChasingPhantoms

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I for one am excited, especially if this new series is a closer adaption of the manga. It kind of upset me that certain events from the manga were altered due to the alternate retelling or just plain would not be animated because they went a different route, and as much as I liked the original series certain characters really got the shaft due to the different direction they took ::cough::winry::cough::. I'll be excited to see what comes of this, but for the mean time any guesses for when it'll begin airing?

I feel like the only fan who thought Winry didn't get the shaft in the anime. I thought they handled her quite well in the anime, certainly better than in the manga.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
...im not sure about this myself. I really liked the anime the way it was. Yes, even the movie. I wasnt drawn in by the manga, so a manga based remake might take something away from the magic that was the first series. I dont think that magic can be easily recreated.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking this could be more of a retelling than an actual "sequel" in the conventional sense, since indeed there's much left to be animated for the manga's storyline, which is no slouch by comparison, to its anime counterpart.

I was able to attend several panels hosted with or by Dismuke at ACen this past May and he pretty much confirmed that he wouldn't be able to play Alphonse anymore, which is a cause for great disappointment in my opinion, as his was such an excellent casting decision, but I've still great faith in FUNi to make another superb call on his, shall we say, successor for the role? (and yes, I've no doubt whatsoever that it'll be a title FUNi will pursue; not the mention the likelihood of any other company snagging the rights are next to nil).

This news just made my week. I must proceed to plug this info to everyone I know. Anime hyper FMA was, and still remains, one of my most favorite anime of all time.
toddc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I approve of this so long as it retcons out that atrocious movie.

Anyway, if you're interested in what Yasuhiro Irie might do with this new Fullmetal series, check out his only previous lead-director TV work, Kurau Phantom Memory. It's an engaging series with typically solid Bones production values, and a lot of people overlooked it when ADV brought it out last year.

Edit: Fixed link.

Last edited by toddc on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear the rumor turn out to be true. Hopefully the other part of the rumor is true as well about this being a remake sticking closer to the manga.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
is there really anywhere else to go with the story? this feels kind of forced. if Seiji Muzishima's not involved, i'm not interested.
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
OH MY GOD.

DARKER THAN BLACK 2 PLEASE!
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I bet dollars to donuts that FUNimation will try to get their hands on this new series to Fullmetal Alchemist come hell or high water. FMA is one of the crown jewels that FUNi is proud of and they'll probably get the license to the show when it'll be on its, shall we say, 2nd episode in Japan?

I can't wait to see the Prince Ling storyline animated myself. I just wonder who they can get to play the prince?
penguintruth wrote:
Fullmetal Alchemist is one of those rare situations where I liked the anime far more than the manga. I think it's because the anime is just so more thematically strong than the anime, though the world in it is less "complete" than the manga's. The theme of brotherhood is strong in the anime, whereas it's barely even all that important in the manga- Ed and Al could just be two friends there, for all it matters.

If it's a "FMA Ultimate" and reboots everything to be more like the manga, I'll still watch it, because it's FMA, but it'll be hard to sit through a lot of the long, unnecessarily drawn out subplots that Arakawa introduced. If it's a continuation of the anime plot already completed, that would be even worse, since it's already been wrapped up.

FMA is one of those anime that deserved a sequel, but didn't need one. Still, it'll be interesting to see what happens, even though I'm against giving Vic Mignogna any more work.

And here I thought that you were gonna be more livid at this news, Penguin. Razz
Ashenphoenix wrote:
I'm thinking this could be more of a retelling than an actual "sequel" in the conventional sense, since indeed there's much left to be animated for the manga's storyline, which is no slouch by comparison, to its anime counterpart.

I was able to attend several panels hosted with or by Dismuke at ACen this past May and he pretty much confirmed that he wouldn't be able to play Alphonse anymore, which is a cause for great disappointment in my opinion, as his was such an excellent casting decision, but I've still great faith in FUNi to make another superb call on his, shall we say, successor for the role? (and yes, I've no doubt whatsoever that it'll be a title FUNi will pursue; not the mention the likelihood of any other company snagging the rights are next to nil).

This news just made my week. I must proceed to plug this info to everyone I know. Anime hyper FMA was, and still remains, one of my most favorite anime of all time.

Well, I personally hope whoever will replace Dismuke as Alphonse will be personally approved by Dismuke himself. Can't alienate the fans. Confused
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh my gosh.... I think the geek gods are smiling down on me today. Very Happy

FMA is my absolute most favorite anime of all time; more of it, whether it be a sequel or an "Ultimate" universe, is going to be an awesome thing to behold.

Here's hoping Funi gets it licensed and dubbed ASAP. Smile
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
My brain just EXPLODED FROM JOY.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
what FMA2 going to be about after the movie it was all cleaned up or are there going to be a new main characters
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14