• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Listings Reveal New Tokyopop Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shezni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
Mirai Nikki?! Awesome! I've been waiting and waiting for it to get licensed.
Although I am wary about Tokyopop, I'll just have to be optimistic and hope for the best. I haven't really heard of the other titles, so maybe I'll check those out as well.
Quote:
(I'm still wary, ever since the Kino no Tabi incident.)

Incident? I'm a fan of Kino no Tabi, as far as the anime goes, but I've never heard of this particular incident. Anyone care to explain?
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quote
I'm not holding my Breath on Susanoh, since they announced earlier that they were licensing Ga-Rei and Dolls and then backed out..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
LKK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
TP licensing a Gorgeous Carat title? That makes this the third US publisher for that story series. And none of them have been license rescues. That's got to be close to a record for the number of different US publishers for one story series. Right?
cetriya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
I wonder how those very few employers are dealing with all these books. Will the quality go down?
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
No Beck, no care.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

DNAngel has been on hiatus in Japan & only started up again earlier this year. Not TP's fault the artist dropped it for awhile.

Oh I know. I wasn't blaming TP at all--sorry if I came across that way. What I was trying to say is that it'd be a crying shame if Tokyopop went out with DNAngel finally starting again, since fans have been waiting a long time for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cait

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
I wonder why no fanfare in licensing announcements? Normally, companies want to toot licenses to help generate buzz, not just quietly release them so that they have to be discovered in a search on Amazon.

They do like to make announcements, but as already stated, this is not the first time Amazon (or another retailer) has been the "leak" for a new license. I found out about Blue Sheep Reverie's (a BL title) license from Amazon months before DMP actually listed it on their site.

I'm also curious to know about the other Tokyopop titles listed as "pre-order" on Amazon right now. They have listings for the next volumes of BECK, Hotel Africa and Suppli that I was not aware were still planned. We shouldn't take the scheduled release dates to heart, just yet.
Cait

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
shezni wrote:
Mirai Nikki?! Awesome! I've been waiting and waiting for it to get licensed.
Although I am wary about Tokyopop, I'll just have to be optimistic and hope for the best. I haven't really heard of the other titles, so maybe I'll check those out as well.
Quote:
(I'm still wary, ever since the Kino no Tabi incident.)

Incident? I'm a fan of Kino no Tabi, as far as the anime goes, but I've never heard of this particular incident. Anyone care to explain?

Tokyopop released the first novel in the series, scheduled the next volume's release and then kept pushing back the date. Eventually it was just taken of listings completely. No one is really sure what exactly happened with it. A licensing issue? Poor sales? *shrugs* I'm sad because I loved the series, too and wanted to see the original stories that inspiried what I thought was a far too short anime series.
W-General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
Looks like Tokyopop picked up some winner titles: Mirai Nikki and the Kimikiss manga.

For Kimikiss, it depends on which title they picked up. If they are smart they would have made the move for Shinonome Tarou's "Kimikiss: Various Heroines" manga, which basically spends one volume on each of the girls and each volume of the manga is treated as parallel universes.

I hope they picked the right one up because Shinonome's art is absolutely amazing (there's just something about ex-eromanga artists and their artstyle Twisted Evil )
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
I'm also curious to know about the other Tokyopop titles listed as "pre-order" on Amazon right now. They have listings for the next volumes of BECK, Hotel Africa and Suppli that I was not aware were still planned. We shouldn't take the scheduled release dates to heart, just yet.

According to Amazon, the fourth volume of Suppli is already out, but I can't find it for sale anywhere else. They don't have it in stock, but apparently they'll ship it out in 1 to 3 weeks. I wish Tokyopop would clarify the situation.
Cait

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
Cait wrote:

According to Amazon, the fourth volume of Suppli is already out, but I can't find it for sale anywhere else. They don't have it in stock, but apparently they'll ship it out in 1 to 3 weeks. I wish Tokyopop would clarify the situation.

Amazon is also listing Satisfaction Guaranteed volume 8 as "ships in 1-3 weeks" but I don't count on it. It might be that Amazon expected to receive these titles by a certain date, but Tokyopop removed any reference to those volumes on their website, so I really don't think they are actually ever going to be available at all. It might be that Amazon just hasn't been told by the publisher yet that the titles aren't coming, so they have kept them up on the store. The same thing is going on with ADV's Yotsuba&! volume 6. ADV hasn't said "this title is cancelled" so Amazon has kept the listing on the site, even though there doesn't seem to be any evidence it will ever actually be available.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
_Emi_ wrote:
Cait wrote:

Amazon is also listing Satisfaction Guaranteed volume 8 as "ships in 1-3 weeks" but I don't count on it. It might be that Amazon expected to receive these titles by a certain date, but Tokyopop removed any reference to those volumes on their website, so I really don't think they are actually ever going to be available at all. It might be that Amazon just hasn't been told by the publisher yet that the titles aren't coming, so they have kept them up on the store. The same thing is going on with ADV's Yotsuba&! volume 6. ADV hasn't said "this title is cancelled" so Amazon has kept the listing on the site, even though there doesn't seem to be any evidence it will ever actually be available.

So Tokyopop is going to imitate Geneoon and NOT release the final volume... maybe they'll get a bail out like Funi did for Geneon..

I know the reps for TP at Y-con were being extremely cagey about the future of the company, I'm betting it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
What is Gorgeous Carat Esperanza? I have most of You Higuri's works in Japanese (and the ones available in English), and I've never heard of this one. She doesn't list anything on her website other than the two GC series that have already been translated (though her website isn't completely up to date).

Interestingly Amazon.jp lists Gorgeous Carat Esperanza only as a Tokyopop release for 1875 yen, to be released in June 2009. There is no corresponding Japanese book for sale.

Perhaps You Higuri has been signed to do a book in English?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
TP licensing a Gorgeous Carat title? That makes this the third US publisher for that story series. And none of them have been license rescues. That's got to be close to a record for the number of different US publishers for one story series. Right?

Blu is TP's BL imprint. all 4 of the series Blu released are listed in that sale TRSI is having for TP titles along with Junjo Romantica 9, Kyo Kara Maoh 3, Silver Diamond 4, & You Will Drown in Love they posted 10/7 (On the home page, go to new/changed items). They also posted
Battlestar Galactica: The Manga Graphic Novel: Echoes of New Caprica (I know. I thought Star Trek was bad enough)
This Ugly Yet Beautiful World Graphic Novel 1
Maid Sama! Graphic Novel 1
Demon sacred Graphic Novel 1
Chibi Vampire Graphic Novel 13
Star Trek: The Next Generation Manga Graphic Novel 1
King of Hell Graphic Novel 23
Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase Graphic Novel 13
Fate/Stay Night Graphic Novel 3
Phantom Dream Graphic Novel 2
Jyu-Oh-Sei Graphic Novel 3
Demon Flowers: Kuruizaki no Hana Graphic Novel 5
Initial D Graphic Novel 34
Elemental Gelade Graphic Novel 11
V.B. Rose Graphic Novel 6
Love Hurts Graphic Novel

So, for all the fuss over their cancelling a slew of titles, they are still in business & some of the longer titles are still running.
Tokyo Pop has cancelled titles before. They released 2 of 7volumes of GateKeepers & they stopped well short of all 36 volumes of Cyborg 009. This was just a noisy way of dumping titles that weren't doing as well as they hoped they would under the pretext of maybe making movies/tv from some of their titles.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:
Mirai Nikki!!! (or Future Diary, I guess). I've been wanting to read that for a long time. As much as I dislike Tokyopop and am kind of wary about starting one of their series in case they might get canceled, this should be cool (and the first two volumes released in two consecutive months, no less!).

Meh, Mirai Nikki is a title that had gotten my attention just on premice so I actually looked into it through scans, but after reading 20 some chapters I'd say it isn't exactly good. There are some good moments early on, but eventually the manga starts confusing itself more than the audience and gets pretty irritating to read. The story is a bit of a poor man's (very very poor) Higurashi. It might be a bit thrilling and have some pretty sick moments but once the storyline gets out of the writer's hands so does the reader's enthusiasm. Which is sad because through the first few chapters it looked like the plot could actually be the best part of this gore filled manga. I stopped following this a few months ago and I think even the original scanslators quit the project.

I think somebody needs to license Franken Fran. That is a title with some gore that really seems like it is worth following, even without a linear storyline.

Hmm...good to know. "Gore fest" (or Higurashi style violence) doesn't sound like my cup of tea . I thought it might be something like Death Note form the premise. More mind games than violence. I still might check it...but I'll wait for reviews and stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3