• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GTO ending (spoilers).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xberserkx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Just one question, spoiler[did Onizuka go to jail?? And why is he teaching in America now?]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:57 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[ He was basically a fugititve, so he fled to America to avoid jail time.]

Not a great ending, but funny just to hear him speak Engrish to those students. Laughing
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Does the manga end differently?
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Live Action ends much differantly.
And the live action movie has him traveling to Canada Land.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:49 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Does the manga end differently?

Probably, but I haven't read it. I think it's safe to say that though since most manga to anime transitions have big contrasts in endings.

king_micah wrote:
Live Action ends much differantly.
And the live action movie has him traveling to Canada Land.

I think xbererkx was referring to the anime, but for clarification purposes, I'll try to explain this.

The anime ends with:

spoiler[ Onizuka going to America and taking his "Great Teacher" skills there.]

In the live action series:

spoiler[ He ends up transferring into an all girls school which is the TV special, which then goes into the movie.]

Something like that, if I remember correctly Anime catgrin.
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:58 pm Reply with quote
The manga is still running strong. There are few more volumes to go and GTO will be over for sure.

spoiler[In anime last ep he ran away from cops and went to USA to teach. Why did he run away while he didn't do anything? Coz he's one crazy guy. Smile ]

I wish I had a teacher in high school as cool as Onizuka.
blizeH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:46 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
spoiler[ He was basically a fugititve, so he fled to America to avoid jail time.]

Not a great ending, but funny just to hear him speak Engrish to those students. Laughing

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but thanks for this Tony K. - missed the Engrish at the end so will go back and re-watch tonight!

Loved the series, although if I'm honest I would of preferred if it had ended on episode 41, such an awesome and uplifting episode.

I'm hoping at some point there will be another anime release for this, although I obviously won't get my hopes up as it seems very unlikely. More Onizuka can't be a bad thing though! I loved the characters from this, so not sure I'd want something with a different setting either, hmm.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
MasterFuu wrote:
The manga is still running strong. There are few more volumes to go and GTO will be over for sure.

spoiler[In anime last ep he ran away from cops and went to USA to teach. Why did he run away while he didn't do anything? Coz he's one crazy guy. Smile ]

I wish I had a teacher in high school as cool as Onizuka.

The manga's run already finished and it ends at volume 25. I've read it and the anime only covers roughly the first 11-12 volumes so the later half is left untouched. The last two episodes diverge from the manga and to say the least the 2nd half is way more intense (in terms of the student situations) than the half. Here's an analogy (albeit a bad one).

Think of Onizuka as a toilet and the problems the students throw onto him as excrement. The first season problems would be equivalent to piss. The second season problems are equivalent to... a piece of turd big enough to clog a toilet and over flood it.

Don't take it literally as that much of a difference, that's just how I saw it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
If you thought that Urumi was Onizuka's biggest nightmare, wait until you read the Mayu and Misuzu arcs and besides, Miyabi's reason to hate teachers made more sense and her development felt more believable in the manga, to the point which is easier to empathize and relate to her at the end, at least for me.

I liked the manga ending better than the anime and was one of my favorite endings to a fictional work; it had a serene feeling to it and overall felt more conclusive.

Last edited by Raven Shinobi on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
If you thought that Urumi was Onizuka's biggest nightmare, wait until you read the Mayu and Misuzu arcs and besides, Miyabi's reason to hate teacher made more sense and her development felt more believable in the manga, to the point which is easier to empathize and relate to her at the end, at least for me.

Definitely agree with you on Miyabi. The Anime version of her story was so poorly written and felt like it was just tacked on to make a suitable ending for each of the main delinquents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1