• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Waiting in the Summer (Ano Natsu de Matteru) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:29 am Reply with quote
Now we're getting somewhere! You know, I thought Ishigaki was gonna get up there, act all calm, then punch him in the face, grab 'em by the collar, and yell at him, "Kanna loves you! What are you gonna do now?". Although, the way they did it was much cooler and more in line with the show. Boy, that Ishigaki fellow has some strong will (and love) to be able to go through the shit he's going through without tearing Kaito a new one or being able to hold back when Tanigawa yelled at him; that's what anime likes to call "resolve", fellas.

I'm really interested to see how this new found information for Kaito and Ichicka will be handled, especially since the next episode is gonna be testosterone-ahoy. I mean, if he couldn't handle the tank top and daisy dukes, this is gonna kill him. It's gonna kill me!

And the whole Remon thing struck me as Haruhi Suzumiya moment, except Haruhi's was a blind guess and I'm pretty sure Remon knows...somehow. Seriously, how does she know the stuff she knows?

And Mio is totally a nudist. Although, a little part of me keeps thinking Ishigaki was in that room with her, also naked, because they just finished having sex. Almost like Mio is the pity sex girl, but she loves and/or feels sorry for Ishigaki, so she doesn't mind him having feelings for Tanigawa while plowing her. That'd be an interesting turn of events.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
I forgot to mention that I totally apologise for my assumption that this was set in the past a bit, we found out the reason he is useing a camera like that, and verbal confirmation that there are more modern ones.

Forgot to mention my favourite bit. Was probably when spoiler[Tetsuro was shot again, and you saw that it was actually Rinon who did it, something about the harmless mascot character doing it with such cool look.]
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
It is kind of moot to talk about Remon

It is never moot to talk of Remon Evil or Very Mad

So yeah, cat's out of the bag and all that. Kanna herself said she's just going to carry on as normal, and everyone else knew about it anyway, so it's just down to Kai really. And Kai being Kai he's just gonna carry on obsessing over his busty alien chick. He's a decent chap when he's not staring into her cleavage, so there's a good chance he might be a little more considerate around Kanna. And of course, Ichika knows too, so she's probably gonna try and back off a bit and clumsily try and force the two together, since she'll be leaving someday and stuff.

You can kinda see how it's all going to play out already, but the getting there is going to be fun.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:47 am Reply with quote
After this, I think im going to drop this series to be honest. As per usual, most of the story is going to be about some boring side chracter having the hots for the main character who has already said he isnt interested.

Kanna doesnt have anything about her that makes me want to root for her and I have no sympathy for her character when she is just as gormless as everybody else when it comes to realising some body elses feelings. She only started to actually bother with Kaito once he fell in love with someone else after all and now as a result we have this irritating excuse for Ichika to further not persue a relationship with Kaito. This one is going to drag and drag thoughout the series no doubt. Just like Yoshida in shakugan no shana Kanna is just the extremely selfish irritating character getting in the way of the main character's relationship. Its ovbiously not going to go her way as far as the story is concerned so the story is simply going to dance around this issue for however many episodes despite the fact that we already know the out come.

Unless Ichika does something drastic like promise to try harder with Kaito or suddenly decide she will persue him in the next couple of episodes Im just going to drop this one. Im half way through Usagi drop so I have got better things to be watching at the end of the day. I'll give it another couple of episodes but like I said, from this episode I can see where all this is going. The only thing that interests me now about this series is how Kaito will react once he finds out Ichika is an alien. I would also like to know how Renon seems to know everything she does and keeps hitting nails on the head all the time. Im not holding my breath for that one being explained though. Oh and of course Rinon who is awsome. I love the way he just struts around in all his alien glory in front of everyone and no one questions it.

Bit harsh but I've seen it done far too many times to still be tempted by a dragged out love triangle with selfish unnapealing character C for the love rival.

Quote:

And Mio is totally a nudist. Although, a little part of me keeps thinking Ishigaki was in that room with her, also naked, because they just finished having sex. Almost like Mio is the pity sex girl, but she loves and/or feels sorry for Ishigaki, so she doesn't mind him having feelings for Tanigawa while plowing her. That'd be an interesting turn of events.

Brilliant Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
This one is going to drag and drag thoughout the series no doubt. Just like Yoshida in shakugan no shana Kanna is just the extremely selfish irritating character getting in the way of the main character's relationship. Its ovbiously not going to go her way as far as the story is concerned

You should see Siesta from Zero no Tsukaima, she has been even worse. Oh J.C. Staff and your seeminly inability to make an official couple not really become a solitair couple.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:19 am Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
As per usual, most of the story is going to be about some boring side chracter having the hots for the main character who has already said he isnt interested.

Sorry, when has Kai ever said he wasn't interested? Until the very end of the very latest episode, he had no idea she was in love with him.

Ikari1 wrote:
She only started to actually bother with Kaito once he fell in love with someone else after all

Pretty sure she's always been interested in him. She's had to step up her efforts since Ichika arrived since she's never had to deal with a rival. She's not just suddenly started to bother with him, she's been interested from the very start.

Ikari1 wrote:
This one is going to drag and drag thoughout the series no doubt.

You know that's how romance anime work, right? You know if all relationships were resolved in the first three episodes then the rest of the season would be a bit pointless, yeah? Rolling Eyes

Honestly, you really DO need to drop this one, it's clearly not your cup of tea. I'm not sure what sort of expectations you had when you started watching but they're evidently not going to be fulfilled.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
The clean freak in me can't help but worry about the hygiene issues associated with that beanbag chair.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
@dirkusbirkus
Ichika asked him at the end of episode 3 after he spent the day with her and hespoiler[ flat out denied it with an extremely quick No. So he isnt even thinking about her in that way]. It Probably has something to do with the way that Kanna is just boring as hell compared to Ichika. Oh and dont forget that Ichika has bigger boobs which always wins the day unless you are a magician,nun or flame haze Smile

At the end of the day though neither of us are right, this is love we are talking about after all and thats just the way it goes. Maybe I just have a problem with people who are indesisive and cause problems for others becasue of it. The other issue I have is that Kanna has now turned round and basically said, spoiler[I'm going to not take any action right away.] This probably means she will wait until Ichika and Kai get closer and she cant bear it anymore and then take action causing untold problems for everyone. Kai isnt completlely innocent but then Kanna is one of those girls that hides too much of how she feels to let him know any different. You cant help someone if they never tell you how they feel at the end of the day.

I've been a much worse situation than this lot find themselves in aswell and I dealt with it somehow despite the fact I had a happiness I could have reached out and touched but didn't for reasons of honour. To put it mildy I did exactly what Ishigaki is doing now but I did it alot better and I still feel crap about it today even though it was the right thing to do in my mind. If you love someone, you do whats right for them rather than yourself first and fore most. Im not talking about a one sided love here either. So I can understand the mechanics of what is going on with the other characters quite well.

Quote:
You know that's how romance anime work, right? You know if all relationships were resolved in the first three episodes then the rest of the season would be a bit pointless, yeah? Rolling Eyes

Honestly, you really DO need to drop this one, it's clearly not your cup of tea. I'm not sure what sort of expectations you had when you started watching but they're evidently not going to be fulfilled.

Er actually I watch alot of romance. In this case though Kanna is just one of those not so interesting love rivals. She was the most interesting when she was drunk. Not all romances in anime are exactly the same and you obviously haven't done your romance homework if you think thats how they all work.

Im not asking for things to be sorted out in 5 episodes but I just hate the way that Kanna's indesisive ness and no doubt future selfishness is going to be one of the main points of the story now. Its all about the way they deal with it in the end and so I will watch another few episodes and see how they deal with it and decide from there if what I'm seeing is actually worth carrying on with for the time being. Like I said there are other things in the story which I'm interested in finding out and watching but Kanna's character is just putting me off already. It's just personal opinion at the end of the day.

School Rumble dealt with this issue in a way that at least kept me amused and rooting for the hapless love rival so its not like I haven't seen other anime titles deal with this situation better.

It's not really the story as a whole I have a problem with just Kanna's character for now. It's too generic and predicatable. In shakugan no shana Yoshida really irritated me because even after she confessed spoiler[Yuji didn't return her feelings and she didn't take a hint] and carried on getting in the way of other, more interesting characters develpments. God that second season would have been much better if less time had been spent on Yoshida's pathetic rubbish and more spent on the more interesting aspects of the universe which includes pretty much everything other than Yoshida Kazumi. The thing I liked most about that season was when spoiler[Yoshida got that charm from Pheles which at least gives me the hope; that small speck of light at the end of a very dark tunnel, that she is going to die at some point later on.]

Perhaps it is just the curse of JC staff that like to make focus of extremely irritating and boring love rivals as dusky said. Zero No tsukaima makes up for Siesta's extremely irritating character with characters like Henrietta and those sickly cute moments that Saito has with Louise Smile
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
Not all romances in anime are exactly the same and you obviously haven't done your romance homework if you think thats how they all work.

Romance anime almost always drag the 'main' romance out over the course of the entire season. I can think of exceptions to this where characters get together much earlier (Kare Kano, Bokura ga Ita, Ai Yori Aoshi) but for the most part it takes the two leads all of the episodes in the world to get together. You were complaining that it'd be dragged out, like that'd be a bad thing... But that IS how these types of show work. The idea is that they go through various challenges to their love and that in turn strengthens their bond right up til the payoff in the final episode. It'd a tried and tested narrative.

A good example of a recent popular romance following this template would be Kimi ni Todoke, where it tookspoiler[ two freaking seasons for the two leads to get together]. Just glimpsing at my list I can pick out True Tears, Clannad, Kimikiss, Rec, Strawberry Panic, Toradora! and many, many others where the romance isn't resolved til the very end. These titles are all regarded as strong romance anime, and good titles within their field.

But since I haven't done my romance homework, I can't possibly know that, right? Wink

Your issue is with one character, yet you were criticising the show for following a well established formula. That's what I took exception to. Evidently you've backtracked now, so I guess we're done here.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I dont know what you mean by backtracking. I think I've been pretty clear about what bugs me the most about this particular love triangle? I

Quote:
As per usual, most of the story is going to be about some boring side chracter having the hots for the main character who has already said he isnt interested.

Kanna doesnt have anything about her that makes me want to root for her and I have no sympathy for her character when she is just as gormless as everybody else when it comes to realising some body elses feelings.

Bit harsh but I've seen it done far too many times to still be tempted by a dragged out love triangle with selfish unnapealing character C for the love rival.

So what, the opening and ending paragraph to my original post didn't make this clear to you in the first place?

It's not so much the formula but rather the character they use to do it with. When they use a character like this you can pretty much tell how they will be presenting certain plot points in the show. I dont like characters like this and it generally puts a damperner on my enthusiasm for the rest of the show as a result.

Edited for too much information and wall of text rubbish.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5.

My face at the beginning of the episode: Smile

My face in the middle of the episode: Very Happy

My face at the end of the episode: Shocked

My face when I realized I have another week before more: Evil or Very Mad

Seriously. Could this show really trump itself any more?

It's nice to see some spoiler[truly meddling friends who have their own agendas] as we saw from spoiler[the bro at the end of the episode]. Totally unexpected. Nice curveball. That was something I really liked about Toradora and I'm glad to see that another series is not only capitalizing on love triangles, but character motivations as well.

spoiler[I think we've all had friends who go off and tell people things they shouldn't and seeing the bro do that reminded me of exactly what it was like to be in high school. We like to think our friends are trustworthy and loyal. But, when it comes down to it, somethings are just more important to them than we are. He totally wants Tanaguchi (or whatever her name is) and is willing to let her secrets out and watch her get heart broken so he can come in as a white knight and pick up the pieces. Think we've all been there - on one side or the other.]

This show started as my "I guess I'll watch it because it seems like something I'd enjoy" and has become my "I NEED MORE RIGHT NOW!" show.

I'm not really into the main theme of the alien living in a human world or her quest for whatever it is that she is looking for... and I don't like Remon - she's just annoying. But I do enjoy her antics and she always leaves me wondering just how much she really knows. She reminds me of a more meddling Tomoyo from CCS.

Really loving this one. Can't wait for more. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
Thanks to my crappy memory, I can't remember how Rinon became known to the rest of the cast who aren't aliens (I'm gonna assume - perhaps incorrectly - that Remon is not an alien) - why does nobody find it odd that a creature unlike any seen before is walking around?

Anyway, I kinda feel bad that were are dealing with a love pentagon here simply because it means that one person is guaranteed to be left out in the cold. Unless Mio and Remon decide they are lezzie for each other. Which would be cool. Actually, I've already decided they are in my head so it doesn't even matter what the show does.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
Rinon was introduced to the characters while they were drunk, she was afraid they figured something out, but they just said it was strange and laughed it off. It seems that they have not brought it up, maybe they all think it was explained, but since they don't remember well they don't want to come off as stupid. Kind of just thought of the candy pooping Myoopi, a few paralels.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote
[dtm42]What? Are the creators of this show really asking us to accept that real people in a situation like that would behave in that manner? Absurd! I can no longer watch this show based on this flagrant violation of reality.[/dtm42]

*flounces out of thread*
thedragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling this is going to get rushed. Since this is only 12 episodes (confirmed? I had trouble with Chihaya from last season saying it was only 13) I'm guessing that the rest of the series is going to be the side characters (except for the loli) trying to get Kaito and Tanigawa together.

Since this is in the vein of Toradora we can't expect everything to be as it seems, but I'm really hoping they only spend 3-4 episodes on that plot. That would leave us 3-4 episodes of something unexpected to play around with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9