• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Russian Government Censors to Investigate GTO Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:03 am Reply with quote
otimus wrote:
....are we watching two entirely different show? Because if I recall correctly, his main motivation in wanting the job was the high school girls. I mean, that's not the main motivation OF THE SHOW, but it certainly was brought up. I mean, it's never explicit, and he doesn't do anything, but man, there's just the way things look.

I mean, I think it was the first or second or so episode.. He was dissapointed when he saw a guy getting fired or something for diddlin' or wanting to diddle a student.

Oh he was tempted, but... well, I think that's reasonable enough. I'd even say it makes him a better character, because at the end of the day he doesn't do anything, even in situations where there was no chance he'd get caught.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:24 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
When I say "exploitative relationships" I'm referring to the assumption that people under the AOC lack the wherewithal to understand the ramifications of their actions and thus are exploited when engaged in sexual relationships by people over the AOC.

If there were some internationally agreed AOC then I could accept that assumption. However, as it stands, the AOC still varies tremendously from country to country - as low as 9 under one particular interpretation of Sharia law, and as high as 21 in some countries. This says to me that the AOC is a cultural matter, rather than some universal imperative. Of course, individual States can, if they wish, force a degree of universality on their citizens. For example, the AOC that applies to UK citizens abroad is the higher of 16 and the local AOC.

I would contend that transgenerational relationships are exploitative if the gap is wide enough. Obviously a 12 year old girl should not be romantically involved with a 25 year old man.

A relationship not involving an age gap can also be exploitative. And anyway, in the example you give it would quite possibly be inappropriate for the girl to embark on a romantic relationship with a man of any age if she lived in a complex, industrialised society where she needed to spend many more years in full-time education. In some societies (including Japan until they were railroaded into introducing a statutory AOC) any sexual relationship involving a minor would be a matter for the couple to discuss with the minor's guardians rather than something that involved the State. Perhaps the progressive erosion of parental authority means the State needs to intervene more and more in people's private affairs. Except of course that it's progressive intervention by the State that has in part led to the erosion of parental authority.

Sometimes I hear people say things like "well in the 1800s/Aztec era/whatever period girls married at 14 and that was okay, why isn't it now?" I would suppose that this is a change in culture.

Although cultural complexity mitigates against it in general, there are still many countries (and indeed some US states) where marriage is permitted at 14.

I think we have the capability to study and further understand what makes an acceptable relationship...

Indeed we do, but as long as the current unholy alliances of old guard leftist radical feminists and neo-Puritan crypto-fascists are forcing the agenda, as they are in organisations such as UNESCO and various governments around the world (including that of the UK), that's not going to happen.

For now the most reasonable thing to do is to play it safe and wait until we can manage to develop knowledge on the issue, so I'll wholeheartedly support legal action against adults who are quite likely victimizing minors.

I'll wholeheartedly support obeying the laws of one's country, but that doesn't mean I won't speak out against those laws I believe to be unjust or oppressive.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
@angel_lover: that's all good and well; though I don't know that it's my place or yours to dictate the actions befitting of a 12 year old girl. My only interest lies in having some kind of recourse/deterrent for children that could be taken advantage of by irresponsible adults.

I don't know of that much information that substantiates this thinking; there's brain development for sure, the experience factor, and social conventions, but it does seem like there isn't what deserves to be an overwhelming amount of data paraded to support this sort of logic. Regardless, I would be afraid to just toss the laws and open the floodgates to creepy-a$$ predatorial freaks; and provided people live long enough they turn 18 anyway, so if their motivations are as pure as they claim to be then it's only a matter of patience for people; I think the age buffer stipulations in the laws of at least a few parts of the world these days address concerns about this issue anyway.

So just to make an attempt to bring this full circle, GTO is totally awesome and does not even remotely attempt to legitimize statutory rape or what have you; he's completely a virgin until he hooks up with a hot teacher lady, there's nothing objectionable etc...I just don't get why, why GTO of all things? Anime has so much sewage, undeserving sludge that shames the island nation of Japan much in the way Ocean(?) dubs shame Canada. Or Vancouver at least. PST makes people do crazy things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4