• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note DVD Box Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kireek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
babynaruto1 wrote:
1) The reviewer should burn in hell for all of eternity

2) Death Note is the most awesome manga and anime series that I have ever read and watched.

3) I will not be buying this DVD Box Set since I have already seen all 37 episodes of Death Note.

That's right, I DON'T re-watch anime, period.

No comment.

What exactly is it people dont like about this review? the final score?

I mean its not as if a bunch of people said deathnote is one of the best animes ever and then pratically everyone jumped on the bandwagon now is it? nah cant be that.

Because that is the only reason I can think of as to why a lot of people say that this is one of the best shoes ever, because honestly it aint one of the best show ever at all.
DestG7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
I mean its not as if a bunch of people said deathnote is one of the best animes ever and then pratically everyone jumped on the bandwagon now is it? nah can't be that.

Because that is the only reason I can think of as to why a lot of people say that this is one of the best shoes ever, because honestly it aint one of the best show ever at all.

It's the same I can think when people say that Evangelion or Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu are one of the best show ever, but it's called opinion or not? Rolling Eyes

The thing about this review, is this:
blind_assassin wrote:
Quote:
Don't let the generally positive tenor of this review fool you, the relative lack of vitriol directed at the series' opening episodes is not a reflection of changing opinions, but rather limited space (read the volume three review for the full diatribe). They remain some of the most chillingly atmospheric, intelligently scripted, and thoroughly detestable episodes ever animated, and the grade here reflects that.

This pretty much translates to: "You already know I hate this series so I'm not going to justify my views but I'll still give it a bad grade."

This is probably the most immature and unprofessional review I've seen on this site. Adding further to this is that it's a box-set. The main purpose of box-set reviews is to talk about the value added to them as opposed to simply having the single DVDs. It's mentioned in one paragraph but is bloated with bias and is seeming entirely inconsequential to the score.
Kireek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
I see, thanks for clearing that up.

I still say that a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon tho, its not a terrible series but it really does not deserve the hype surrounding it.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:

2) Death Note is the most awesome manga and anime series that I have ever read and watched.

3) I will not be buying this DVD Box Set since I have already seen all 37 episodes of Death Note.

No comment.

If you don't like my opinion, that's your opinion.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
babynaruto1 wrote:

Well you just got banned for that first statement there so maybe now you'll have time to rewatch Death Note!!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Folks, I encourage you to disagree with any and every review on this site if you want. You can be as vicious as you want while discussing the review, call the review a steaming pile of &@#^%!, as long as you 1) give your reasons, and 2) do not attack the reviewer's character in any way.

Failing to do #1 just makes your post completely worthless. #2 gets you banned from the forum.

Christopher Macdonald
Editor in Chief
Anime News Network
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
....Wow.

I know Death Note isn't everyone's cup of tea, but are you SERIOUS?

Criticizing a series for not having a positive view of humanity and not being as astoundingly intellectual as it possibly could have been, while hiding behind scary long words to articulate little in large word volume, is not impressive. Protip: it is actually possible to negatively review something-- even down to Ds and Fs!-- without exercising your biases and sounding like an asshat, proud of his quick-fingered thesaurus-flipping skills. Carlo and Bamboo actually pull it off quite well, you could learn something.

This is why i never listened to any reviews period. They have far worse reviews to naruto which is actually decent enough,cause it would've been worse if 4kids got it's license. They even gave worse reviews to negima and inuyasha,however no one cares and people in conventions come to watch the videos in droves.It happened at AnimeNext 2006. My advice,is go with you gut tells you and not listen to any crap some 40 or 50 yr old have to say cause these reviewers are as worse as Movie reviewers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
This is why i never listened to any reviews period. They have far worse reviews to naruto which is actually decent enough,cause it would've been worse if 4kids got it's license. They even gave worse reviews to negima and inuyasha,however no one cares and people in conventions come to watch the videos in droves.It happened at AnimeNext 2006. My advice,is go with you gut tells you and not listen to any crap some 40 or 50 yr old have to say cause these reviewers are as worse as Movie reviewers.

I think you simply haven't found any reviewers who share your tastes. Of course, I won't agree with what many, or most reviewers say about a show, but there are always people who have at least roughly the same tastes as you.
It takes a while, but I have found reviewers who give the same ratings I would in at least 90% of all cases. For anime, for TV shows, and for movies as well. (Music is a whole different thing).

On animeondvd/mania, which is probably the biggest review site for anime, the first Inuyasha DVD got an A-, the first Negima DVD a B. Both are ratings far from "bad".
I'm really inclined to hear what crap 40 or 50yr olds have to say, whether I agree with them or not Smile
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
The review pretty much expresses my own opinion on Death Note, albeit in a somewhat more forgiving way.

As for the talkback thread... big surprise, to see posts by disaffected Death Note fans complaining bitterly of the review, interspersed with personal attacks -- it only serves to confirm my already poor opinion of Death Note fans.

Just as "pink is the new black", Death Note fandom is the new Naruto fandom -- that group of fans whose behaviour makes the rest of us cringe with embarrassment. Which is not to say that all the fans of those series are cringeworthy -- just enough. Certainly, some of the fans of the series, posting in this thread, are level-headed enough. They just don't seem to be representative, alas.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
On animeondvd/mania, which is probably the biggest review site for anime, the first Inuyasha DVD got an A-, the first Negima DVD a B. Both are ratings far from "bad".

AoD is pretty different from ANN when it comes to rating anime. They take into account the quality of the DVD and are pretty lenient overall when it comes to their content grade (IMO).

Just to give an example of how different they are:

animenewsnetwork.com/review/voltron/dub.dvd-dvd-set-1
http://www.mania.com/voltron-defender-universe-set-1_article_78534.html

They're both reviews from the same set, but they draw completely different conclusions.

I prefer ANN's review style when reviewing content most of the time, but I like AoD's review style for also focusing on technical issues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DestG7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Just as "pink is the new black", Death Note fandom is the new Naruto fandom -- that group of fans whose behaviour makes the rest of us cringe with embarrassment. Which is not to say that all the fans of those series are cringeworthy -- just enough. Certainly, some of the fans of the series, posting in this thread, are level-headed enough. They just don't seem to be representative, alas.

In my opinion, actually exist a worst fandom, Code Geass fandom.
But isn't a fault of the series, is just the way that the fans are today regarding to the series that become a giant success. Fanboys are inevitable, so as haters/detractors.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
DestG7 wrote:
But isn't a fault of the series, is just the way that the fans are today regarding to the series that become a giant success. Fanboys are inevitable, so as haters/detractors.

Hmm, possibly.... Geass fans haven't really registered on my radar enough to form an actual irritant, yet. They're still too new, compared to DN and Naruto fans.

BTW, you don't appear to have English as your first language. Are you Russian? Your grammar seems to imply as much.

- abunai
DestG7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
BTW, you don't appear to have English as your first language. Are you Russian? Your grammar seems to imply as much.

- abunai

Latin american (and sorry for my imperfect english Razz).
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
DestG7 wrote:
abunai wrote:

- abunai

Latinoamerican (and sorry for my imperfect english Razz).

No worries, you make more than enough sense. I just noticed that you dropped pronouns, which is a characteristic of Russian (among other languages).

- abunai
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
DestG7 wrote:
abunai wrote:

Code Geass fans have been hit and miss for me,

I found one lovely group that I can freely discuss my problems with CG with them, and we can usually have an intelligent conversation. I love talking with them, and though we may argue I always feel like these guys are usually polite, and know what they are talking about.

Then their are others who call me a retard for pointing out that Co-creator and scenario writer Ichiro Okouchi has stated that a certain character is dead, they ignore any point that doesn't agree with them, and will frequently result in flaming people who don't agree with them.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10