• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Silence Of The Schnauzers

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Sorry I didn't address this in my other post but:
Quote:
Gosh, I don't know. Hot Gimmick is good, but it's really girly. I think it may throw you into shock based on what I assume you normally read. :p

Now I've read shojo titles before, but you make this one sound like something diffrent. If it has yaoi in it, thats fine. If girls can put up with fanservice, a couple of girly men making out shouldn't bother me. Or is it something about the actual story of the manga. The only realistic shojo manga I have really read is Kare Kano, and I like that. Would it be like that?

Oh no no..no guy on guy...it's not Golden Cain. :p Hot Gimmick is very soap opera. Kare Kano is more slice of life. I dunno...I know you've read shoujo, but I know you really love stuff like BotI, LWaC, Berserk, etc...so I was meaning it "girly" compared to that. Go ahead and give it a go! I really love it!
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I try to be diverse in my manga selection, so I think I will give it a go. After all, I have nothing else to read, 'cept rereading Black and White (probobly my favorite manga of all time) for the 20th time. It still manages to warm my heart everytime I read the end of the series Very Happy Then again, I think thats the most touching thing I've ever read, and I'm sure many people who have looked at the books description will think I'm insane, but once they read the third and final volume they will know what I mean.
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:07 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
If Saint Marie 2 gets reviewed...it'll probably get an actual review. Since it's Korean, it showed up in the Manwha special column..and as far as Korean titles go, I thought it was really good, so I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did. Sad I'm gearing up for another Manwha special soon, so hopefully I can recommend some other series that you'll find worthwhile.

Ooh, I can't wait! Very Happy I bought St. Marie 1 based on the positive recommendations of your column and animeondvd.com, and it lived up to my expectations. If not for these reviews, I would never have considered purchasing it, because ADV markets this title so poorly. There is no summary on the back of the book, and the only indication of genre is a "sci-fi" label, which is pretty misleading. Saint Marie does feature psychic powers, but it's essentially a girls' manwha with loads of pretty boys, school drama, romance etc. Just the kind of stuff I like, but ADV couldn't be bothered to inform me of that Confused Another title that RTO recommended, Sweet and Sensitive, was also well worth the money. Definitely please keep up with the manwha reviews, since there is not a great deal of information about the hordes of new manwha licensed for the US.

Oh, and I just finished Hot Gimmick 6, and totally agree with its placement in "Buy It!". My only worry is that only eight volumes of this series have been published so far in Japan (according to animeondvd.com). Will we have to endure monstrously long waits between volumes after Viz publishes vol. 8? I don't think I could stand it! Anime cry
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:16 am Reply with quote
Mildly Amusing Anecdote Time: A friend and I were going through our local comic shop a week or two ago, and we spot High School Girls v1. He turns to me and says "I guess those Truth In Advertising people have finally caught up to ComicsOne, huh?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:01 am Reply with quote
RabbitRevolution wrote:
Oh, and I just finished Hot Gimmick 6, and totally agree with its placement in "Buy It!". My only worry is that only eight volumes of this series have been published so far in Japan (according to animeondvd.com). Will we have to endure monstrously long waits between volumes after Viz publishes vol. 8? I don't think I could stand it! Anime cry

Lol, I know what you mean, but this is a GOOD thing. I congradulate VIZ on finally catching up with one of their shoujo titles that are still running in Japan, and doing a fine job quality wise. I couldn't edit the manga better myself. *digital image editing I mean*

Kagemusha wrote:
If girls can put up with fanservice, a couple of girly men making out shouldn't bother me.

*imagines Hot Gimmick with girly men* Anime hyper
Hot Gimmick only really has one guy that I'd consider possibly girly, and that'd be Azusa the model, and that's only because he's a model. The guys in Hot Gimmick in my opinion are quite realistic *except for their whacked out antics that cause all the drama* with the way the act and behave, which is another reason I hear guys who read Hot Gimmick enjoy it. They can connect with some of the guys. They aren't the macho men you find in your seinen manga, they're normal teen guys.

Ryoki/Hastumi 4 Ever! Anime hyper *just heard about the latest chapter of Hot Gimmick from Japan, and is quite pleased with the current events*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2