• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network News

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Meh, most of the jokes on the regular AS comedy are so obscure that people don't get them either, this'll be no different.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Meh, most of the jokes on the regular AS comedy are so obscure that people don't get them either, this'll be no different.

"But those are Loverboy songs, Ur. And Loverboy has always sucked."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:10 pm Reply with quote
lyricaldanichan wrote:
Now if AS/CN was smart, they would get homestar runner as full blow animation series and park it between Sealab and SMC! Hmm even better to add Cromartie High School in the mix too!

But the guys at Homestar Runner have said they don't ever want to be on TV ... they like having their little web format.

Meanwhile, I think some people will like SMC just fine. After all, a lot of the humor on the homegrown AS shows is totally random and makes no sense; those who don't get the cultural in-jokes of Milk-chan will just shrug, assume that it's random silliness, and laugh anyway.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

Meanwhile, I think some people will like SMC just fine. After all, a lot of the humor on the homegrown AS shows is totally random and makes no sense; those who don't get the cultural in-jokes of Milk-chan will just shrug, assume that it's random silliness, and laugh anyway.

AS Viewer: "AHAHAHAHA!!! Look at the funny little (racial slur) girl talking all funny!! AHAHAHAHA!!"

Rolling Eyes Nice job Williams Street. You've turned America into Racists.
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Patachu wrote:

AS Viewer: "AHAHAHAHA!!! Look at the funny little (racial slur) girl talking all funny!! AHAHAHAHA!!"

What are you talking about?

Been that was since America was founded! :O
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
lyricaldanichan wrote:
Now if AS/CN was smart, they would get homestar runner as full blow animation series and park it between Sealab and SMC! Hmm even better to add Cromartie High School in the mix too!

But the guys at Homestar Runner have said they don't ever want to be on TV ... they like having their little web format.

Money talks $$$$$$$$$

Kinda like when Disney said they would NEVER do sequals ... LOL

$$$$$$$

Quote:

Yup very random .
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:29 pm Reply with quote
When they show Metropolis I can pretty much guarentee that nothing will be cut. (except maybe a quick shot on a dark wall that says F**k Robots but it's hard to see) What I'm really concerned about is if their going to be airing the TV formatted version. I really hope they don't. They didn't for Char's Counter Attack so here's hoping.
Bell02

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon Network sure has a strong line-up this year. I'm just amazed at all the programs they have: Gits, Wolf's Rain, FMA, Read or Die, Super Milk Chan... The list goes on!

Anyways, I don't know how the heck they'll be able to show the american version on TV. It's as bad as (if not worse than) south park! Maybe in the future they'll show them but I thought it was pretty bad (bad in a censor's perspective, I found both versions very entertaining).

I think it is cool though that comedy anime is being recognized. Maybe this'll mean well see other gag series from japan on AS comedy!
emory

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
When they show Metropolis I can pretty much guarentee that nothing will be cut. (except maybe a quick shot on a dark wall that says F**k Robots but it's hard to see) What I'm really concerned about is if their going to be airing the TV formatted version. I really hope they don't. They didn't for Char's Counter Attack so here's hoping.

They've been good at catching writing on walls. In Gundam 0080 the word "fu#k" is written in on an alley wall. The TV even crops off the "CK" (you could see it on a computer though. TV has overscan which cuts off the edge of a picture). They still managed to catch it and erase it.

They'll air whatever the distributor sends them in terms of ratio.
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:07 pm Reply with quote
[i]"Even in person the ADV VA's complained in person how horrible the straight dub of SMC is compared to the Americanized live-action version."[/i]

Just who specifically "in person" (which you mentioned twice) of the ADV voice actors said it's horrible,and where they said it; and define how "straight dub" and "American live-actioned verson" differ, since they essentially sound like the same thing? Question Exclamation Question
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Patachu wrote:

Congrats, you win the "Most Asinine Post of the Day" award.

How in the heck do you go from "laughing at randomness" to "Williams Street is turning America into racists!"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2