Japanese Fans Choose Which Machines in Anime They'd Most Like to Ride
posted on by Eric Stimson
The Japanese anime and manga character database Charapedia, which frequently conducts polls gauging the popularity of anime characters, tried something a little different last week and asked its visitors which machines in anime they'd most like to ride or pilot. It left the definition of "machine" open to interpretation, so forgive any choices which might seem inappropriate.
Here are the results:
- TIME MACHINE, Doraemon (480 points)
- UNIT-01, Neon Genesis Evangelion (393 points)
- GUNDAM, Mobile Suit Gundam (373 points)
- Möwe, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (312 points)
- Thousand Sunny, One Piece (210 points)
- Skateboard, Case Closed (194 points)
- Gurren Lagann, Gurren Lagann (161 points)
- Lancelot, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (155 points)
- Ingram, Patlabor: The Mobile Police (146 points)
- Tachikoma, Ghost in the Shell (139 points)
- Burning Gundam/God Gundam, Mobile Fighter G Gundam (130 points)
- Scopedog, Armored Trooper Votoms (128 points)
- Xabungle, Sentō Mecha Xabungle (126 points)
- Yatter-Wan, Yatterman (122 points)
- Z Gundam, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (119 points)
- Galactic Merchant Fleet Robot Kaien, Gintama (111 points)
- Guren S.E.I.T.E.N. Eight Elements, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (98 points)
- VF-25F Messiah, Macross Frontier (95 points)
- Strike Freedom Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny (92 points)
- Vertical Maneuvering Equipment, Attack on Titan (86 points)
The survey was conducted from June 23 to June 29. 69.8% of the respondents were male and 30.2% female. 64% were under age 30. Note that the points that Charapedia uses aren't just raw vote tallies, but take into account the order of votes and whether comments were provided.
Charapedia conducted a similar survey in 2014 on the most powerful robots.
What are your thoughts on the coolest machines in anime? Share them with us in the forums!
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history