Straighten Up!, Karakai Jōzu no Takagi-san Top Poll of Anime Fans Want
posted on by Jennifer Sherman
Takuma Yokota's Sesuji wo Pin! to ~Shikakō Kyōgi Dance-bu e Yōkoso~ (Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club) and Sōichirō Yamamoto's Karakai Jōzu no Takagi-san (Teasing Master Takagi-san) manga topped the Anime! Anime! website's annual poll of manga that readers want to receive anime adaptations. The website conducted the poll from February 28 to March 7, and it included categories for both completed and incomplete manga that fans want to be animated. The website posted the results of the completed manga category on Saturday, followed by the incomplete manga category on Sunday.
Yokota launched Sesuji wo Pin! to ~Shikakō Kyōgi Dance-bu e Yōkoso~ga in 2015 and ended the series last month. The manga's 10th and final volume will ship in Japan on April 4. Viz Media's digital version of Weekly Shonen Jump debuted the manga on the same day it launched in Japan as part of its "Jump Start" initiative.
Yamamoto launched Karakai Jōzu no Takagi-san in Shogakukan's Gessan mini booklet in the Gessan magazine in 2013, and it moved to the main magazine in 2016. Shogakukan published the fifth compiled book volume on February 10. The manga topped the 2017 poll of manga that Japanese bookstores recommend. The series is also nominated for this year's Manga Taisho awards.
Anime! Anime!'s poll first used readers' Twitter responses to compile lists of more than 20 finalists in both categories. A total of 1,171 readers then responded to the final poll, and the respondents were divided roughly equally between women and men. Of the respondents, about 40% were in their teens, about 40% were in their 20s, and more than 10% were in their 30s.
Here are the full results of the poll:
Top 10 Completed Manga People Want to Receive an Anime Adaptation
- Sesuji wo Pin! to ~Shikakō Kyōgi Dance-bu e Yōkoso~ by Takuma Yokota
- Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam by Yoshiyuki Tomino, Yūichi Hasegawa
- Karakuri Circus by Kazuhiro Fujita
- Yandere Kanojo by Shinobi
- Psyren by Toshiaki Iwashiro
- Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation by Yoshiyuki Nishi
- Tonari no Kashiwagi-sa by Kinusa Shimotsuki
- Kodoku no Gourmet by Masayuki Kusumi, Jiro Taniguchi
- M×0 by Yasuhiro Kano
- Soul Catcher(s) by Hideo Shinkai
Top 10 Incomplete Manga People Want to Receive an Anime Adaptation
- Karakai Jōzu no Takagi-san by Sōichirō Yamamoto
- Delicious in Dungeon by Ryōko Kui
- Mr. Nietzsche in the Convenience Store by Hashimoto, Matsukoma
- Kono Oto Tomare! by Amyū
- Oresama Teacher by Izumi Tsubaki
- Yotsuba&! by Kiyohiko Azuma
- Grand Blue by Kenji Inoue, Kimitake Yoshioka
- Cells at Work by Akane Shimizu
- The Promised Neverland by Kaiu Shirai, Posuka Demizu
- Rengoku ni Warau by Kemuri Karakara
Last year, Satoshi Mizukami's Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer and Kui's Delicious in Dungeon topped the poll in the completed and incomplete categories, respectively. In 2015, Hasegawa's Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam manga and Nami Sano's Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto topped the poll. Sano's manga received a television anime adaptation last year.